Should Shola be offered a new contract?

TRon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shola should move on! maybe not in this window but definitely in the summer!

players who also should leave is:

cacapa: past it

Edgar: not sure he will develop enough

Butt: old and slow.....we need a real engine there

Duff: creates nothing

Geremi: past it...good set pieces though

Gonzalez:

alan smith: could be ok squad player...but high wages

owen: good...but dont wanna be here

viduka: past it...cant stay fit

thats alot of players i know......but really hope something extraordinary will happen in the summer!

Amazing how many people would give him a new contract because of a small resale value. The guy is like a bad stench; he won't leave unless his contract ends and we give him the boot; last summer has proven that. As a player he is nowhere near the desired level. With Owen, Viduka and him likely to leave our strikeforce needs a major overhaul anyway. Keep Martins as a squad player and find two or three other players capable of performing consistently at Premiership level.

They cost money, who knows how much is going to be made available, either with Ashley here or any potential new owners.

If there was money to replace Shola and the other players who's contracts are running out, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Agree 100%, and until we know there is any money available we can't afford to get rid of players as we might not be able to replace them.

The two of you are off your head. The last thing we should be doing if money is thight (which would be a disgrace, but that's another matter) is handing out contract extension to players who have proven themselves over years and years to not be good enough..

If we apply that logic to our club we would end up with a squad of about 6 players.

Exactly. Yes in a perfect world we would get rid of shola, but unless we are in a position to actually bring in a player to replace him with we should keep him on for an extra year at least. Ofcourse Ranger and other youngesters should be given their chance, but what happens if they're aren't any good?

NE5 has a point you know. A club of our size owes it to itself and us supporters to have a level of ambition that matches the club's stature. Over the past few seasons not only our results have dwindled, but it now seems our expectations are also getting significantly lower. I don't think that is acceptable. The owner, whether it was Shepherd, Ashley or a new man needs to be prepared to fund continuous improvement. If they aren't, we will fall further behind, because the competition certainly IS investing and improving. For me, it would be another sign of lowered ambition if we offered a below par player a new contract. If that's the best the owner can offer the club they are really letting us down and deserve to be hounded out.

I agree with that, but then like i said, if we apply that logic, how many of our current squad deserve a contract?

Exactly, we all know he believes his own hype.

I'm awaiting his latest article about getting in the England squad like.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/966192.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6656C51026EC86A35A40A659CEC4C8CB6

the new emile heskey.... lol

I was going to say that we should offer him a contract now and sell him in the Summer but I don't trust him to leave.

Aye.

I was fuming when he turned down that move to Stoke.

I'm being pedantic here but i think Stoke turned him down. West Brom and Norwich on the other hand...

I said yes on a short term. We will already be replacing 2 strikers this summer, we could do without trying to replace another and I am not too hopeful of any of the youth players making the step up just yet.

ridiculous idea.

What other premiership club would hand him a contract now, at 27 and having had all the chances and opportunities he's had, and still ambles round the pitch either falling over or not giving a toss.

Championship is his level.

Oh, wait a moment, we might be a championship team. That would change it somewhat.

ridiculous idea.

What other premiership club would hand him a contract now, at 27 and having had all the chances and opportunities he's had, and still ambles round the pitch either falling over or not giving a toss.

Oh, wait a moment, we might be a championship team. That would change it somewhat.

By the same token, which self-respecting club would be renewing Butt's contract and putting him first name on the team sheet?  Or buying Liverpool reserves and putting them straight into their first team?

All that is being suggested is that Shola be given a contract so he can be a RESERVE target man. We can still spend £20m on a first team striker by all means.

ridiculous idea.

By the same token, which self-respecting club would be renewing Butt's contract and putting him first name on the team sheet?  Or buying Liverpool reserves and putting them straight into their first team?

All that is being suggested is that Shola be given a contract so he can be a RESERVE target man. We can still spend £20m on a first team striker by all means.

Great argument: we're already the laughing stock of the Premiership, so we might as well continue to make ridiculous decisions..

ridiculous idea.

Great argument: we're already the laughing stock of the Premiership, so we might as well continue to make ridiculous decisions..

The bit you bolded was in fact your argument. I've bolded the correct bit that was relevant to my view.

Guest Howaythetoon

An emphatic no from me. While I like Shola and certainly don't share the opinion of the majority it seems in that he is shite and championship standard at best, we need to be replacing squad players like him with better players or those from the youth ranks (if we have any). I'd rather give a promising young striker from the lower reaches a chance to join the squad than continue to stick with Shola who we know offers marginal results at best.

An emphatic no from me. While I like Shola and certainly don't share the opinion of the majority it seems in that he is shite and championship standard at best, we need to be replacing squad players like him with better players or those from the youth ranks (if we have any). I'd rather give a promising young striker from the lower reaches a chance to join the squad than continue to stick with Shola who we know offers marginal results at best.

At least that's a coherent argument which I agree with to some extent. I just feel that Shola provides a battering ram alternative which could be useful in a squad if he's not costing a lot in wages. The only similar player we have is Carroll and I'm not sure he's as effective at the moment anyway.

ridiculous idea.

The bit you bolded was in fact your argument. I've bolded the correct bit that was relevant to my view.

How was that my argument?