Kinnear signs contract to the end of the season.

fuhg

and once again a big thanks to all the protesters and boycoutters out there. i hope you're all happy.

Fuck off.

Do you honestly think Ashley would have spent any money in January with a "proper" manager in place or do you think the squad would suddenly have become adequate?

yes. and the squad is adequate. the manager is shit though.

The squad isn't adequate at all. How can Nicky Butt still be starting and yet the squad is deemed good enough. We have holes all over the place in the squad. This isn't something new though we've had this problem for seasons now. And it's frustrating seeing the same things just being ignored. At least the right idea was had in the summer by trying to get Modric/Aimar.

its adequate compared to mid table and even top half teams. not good enough if we want to push for europe, but your making it sound like we're the only team with holes in our squad. its not a good squad, but it would see us top half this season if we had a decent manager in charge.

unfortunately we have a retarded cockfaced shithouse, and unless we are very lucky i think we'll get relegated this season.

Just because other teams squads aren't good enough we shouldn't be using that as an excuse for the gaping holes in ours.

Guest Stephen927

It's a shame, but we're not a big club anymore.

Watching that Youtube video of the 7-1 victory over Spurs just shows how far we have fallen. Tragic.

I'm really surprised by the reaction of a lot on here. What were you expecting to happen? For him to stay on a rolling contract?

Even if we do get new owners before the end of the season, they were unlikely to bring someone new in until the summer anyway. And even if they did want to get rid of JFK, it was hardly going to break the bank considering it would have been what 4 months pay or something?

Lets just get behind him now. We do actually have an ok team, and in this premiership season anything is possible, so lets just support them.

and once again a big thanks to all the protesters and boycoutters out there. i hope you're all happy.

f*** off.

Do you honestly think Ashley would have spent any money in January with a "proper" manager in place or do you think the squad would suddenly have become adequate?

yes. and the squad is adequate. the manager is s*** though.

Ha!

Explain that one, please.

our squad/first team is better now than it has been in many a year. simple.

Still doesn't mean that it's adequate though.

we're moving forward. or at least we were. our first team is at least as good as anyone around us. a decent manager would have us at mid table, maybe slightly higher.

Our central midfield options aren't good enough, and for me that's the key area to win matches. Coloccini doesn't have a partner who is proven good enough, we have some rather injury prone players, which means we need a good enough squad, something which we don't have.

if we got a better manager instead of kinnear, would we be higher up the league? thats what it comes down to since the transfer window has been shut.

So we can just ignore the transfer window then? As I've said this has been our problem for years now and it's not something new.

the transfer window has been shut since kinnear has been here so its not an issue. so like i said, if we got a better manager instead of kinnear, would we be higher up the league?

actually, without wanting to "go there", would we be higher up the league if keegan was still here?

Aye mate I feel we would.

All I was commenting on is that I don't think the squad is good enough, the squad as a whole.

i agree its not good enough but it is adequate. a better manager would drag a few extra points out of the current squad.

Seems a moot point though, we're not going to get a 'better manager' under the current circumstances.

Guest black n white

ah bollocks, whats the chances of him walking away after the transfer window,

he must have answers for the players whose contracts are up at the end of the season ie owen harper

Lets get behind him.

The season was another write off when Keegan spat his dummy and ran away.

Stay in the prem, look for a buyer, strengthen the squad & lower the wage bill should be our priorities (in that order) from now till next season.

No one will have us in this wild period, and he hasn't done too bad and is pretty much a likeable character.

Exactly.

Things actually could be a lot worse than what they are as unbelievable as that is.

Lets get behind him.

The season was another write off when Keegan spat his dummy and ran away.

Stay in the prem, look for a buyer, strengthen the squad & lower the wage bill should be our priorities (in that order) from now till next season.

No one will have us in this wild period, and he hasn't done too bad and is pretty much a likeable character.

Exactly.

Things actually could be a lot worse than what they are as unbelievable as that is.

Yep, get behind him and the team and see what happens in January, you never know.  I actually think one of the key fators in him being offered this is so they can compete in January.  With a manager on a monthly contract no player would sign, now at least if they come on loan they know the chances are the manager will still be there as long as they are.

Guest Jawesome

I admire Kinnear's lack of pessimism and apparent willingness to do the job.  Not to mention the fact that our current squad is willing to play for him.

It probs makes sense to keep one manager to the end of the season but i think I'm mainly disappointed with the way the club is being managed half arsed and looks as tho no sale will be coming about soon.

Welll done Ashley you fat coward.

There seems to be an element of surprise on here which i find unbelievable.

Would any decent manager leave their current position a third of the way through the season, to manager a team languishing near the foot of the premier league and in turmoil behind the scenes?

And of the current unemployed managers who would you prefer to have? Hoddle? Venables? Bassett? Poyet? Wise? Allardyce?

Kinnear has come in and done a good job in very difficult circumstances. 2 wins and 2 draws in the last 5 games is a decent return, especially when you consider that one of those draws was a clean sheet away to Chelsea.

In response to the comment about builidng a team around Ameobi, that's bollocks. Kinnear (like many other managers) likes to play a big guy/liitle guy combination, and with Viduka injured the only other big guy we have is Ameobi, who incidently has done really well since he came back into the team. He's nobody's favourite player but he deserves some credit for coming back in and answering his critics.

Guest GAMMELL

F*ck it, lets just get behind the man, get on with the short-term plan of getting out of this b*stard mess that we are in & then we can hire Hitzfeld  :pow:

There seems to be an element of surprise on here which i find unbelievable.

Would any decent manager leave their current position a third of the way through the season, to manager a team languishing near the foot of the premier league and in turmoil behind the scenes?

And of the current unemployed managers who would you prefer to have? Hoddle? Venables? Bassett? Poyet? Wise? Allardyce?

Kinnear has come in and done a good job in very difficult circumstances. 2 wins and 2 draws in the last 5 games is a decent return, especially when you consider that one of those draws was a clean sheet away to Chelsea.

In response to the comment about builidng a team around Ameobi, that's bollocks. Kinnear (like many other managers) likes to play a big guy/liitle guy combination, and with Viduka injured the only other big guy we have is Ameobi, who incidently has done really well since he came back into the team. He's nobody's favourite player but he deserves some credit for coming back in and answering his critics.

This.

Despite the media exaggerating the perception of Newcastle fans (overly optimistic), it does seem apparent that some haven't quite appreciated the mess the club's in, otherwise I would have expected a slightly more positive reaction. This was always going to happen.

Have been expecting this - Ashley, true to form, has once again decided to take the chancer's option ; having failed to get the excessive price he wanted for NUFC because of the World Financial Crisis, he has decided to hope that Kinnear will manage to scrape an escape from relegation and gambled on him as manager for the remainder of the season.

It also means that he has no option than to provide SOME funds for squad strengthening - the amount will not be large....however, failure to do so will mean his investment falling even further in value as relegation will follow as surely as night follows day.

The losers in this stand to be the fans - as always...

Kinnear is happy, he gets a good(if unexpected) pay day to finish his career ; the players still get paid, and some decent ones will be off in Jan ; paradoxically, Ashley will ALSO be a loser if the club go down because he will have paid out some additional funds to buy players, and potential buyers will seek a much lower price for a Championship side.

IF Kinnear keeps the side up, all well & good - if he doesn't, it is yet another failed gamble by our esteemed Chairman, following on from his Bradford/Bingley disaster earlier this year - one a blind man could have seen coming...!!

Another ridiculous chapter in the history of NUFC, a club which wins the top award in 'make it up as you go along' statistics...!