Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

To think I opened this thread wondering why we were discussing this former Toon player when he should never be mentioned again.

And then I read about "The Brochure" - thank you Wasserman Media Group for providing me with the best chuckle of the day :lol:

Freddy Shepherd, the man who signed him, admitted: "At the time it was seen as a major coup for Newcastle to land England's top scorer.

"In retrospect it turned out to be a disaster for us although we couldn't have known that at the time."

Sorry, Freddie, but you paid over the odds for a player with a poor injury record, who was openly reluctant to join. This disaster was very predictable.

This failure to learn from mistakes and eagerness to blame it all on bad luck or whatever is the main reason I'm very wary of Shepherd.

Guest Stephen927

The fact he is sending out a brochure just tells you that Owen is old hat. The game has moved on, who wants a slow, short striker who does fuck all unless it's laid on a plate for him, not to mention the kind of wages he'll want. The game has evolved and little Micky has been left behind.

He'll probably end up getting snapped up by a bottom half Premier League club on cut price wages towards the end of the window as a last resort.

This is Fernando Torres who managed 24 league goals in his first season in english football, a figure Owen hasn't come near in 10 seasons, even when he took penalties for Liverpool

The Liverpool team Torres is playing in is a million years ahead of the one Owen played for.

This is Fernando Torres who managed 24 league goals in his first season in english football, a figure Owen hasn't come near in 10 seasons, even when he took penalties for Liverpool

The Liverpool team Torres is playing in is a million years ahead of the one Owen played for.

They still had a bloody good team when Owen was there, service was hardly in short supply.

IIRC they still managed to win the FA, League and UEFA Cup in one season back then.

They still had a bloody good team when Owen was there, service was hardly in short supply.

IIRC they still managed to win the FA, League and UEFA Cup in one season back then.

Plus the whole team was catered around Michael Owen under Houllier. As soon as a defender or Gerrard got the ball, they'd look for the long ball or through ball to Owen because back then he had pace and could run onto a ball and finish.

Adopt a footballer scheme........ "This is Michael  (sad looking photo) Michael has found his footballing career has taken a turn for the worst, after not taking the option of a new contract at relegated Newcastle United Michael finds himself without a club. He feels he still has a lot to offer the footballing world and would be a loving willing player, should you like to adopt or even just sponsor Michael please get in touch, once we agree terms you will get a signed photo of Michael along with monthly updates about how he is doing and also as an added bonus you will reviece betting tips on any horses Michael has running.  has suffered in many ways hurting his frail boddy month after month yet he is still willing to put his body on the line for thousnads of pounds a week, its that kind of dedication that would make Michael an ideal adoptee for you".

Out of interest, would anyone accept Owen back on reduced wages, if no Premiership club came in for him?

Its an unlikely scenario but if no Premiership club offered him a contract, then he would give us a season in The Championship and may even get a fee by selling him if he has a good season.

Out of interest, would anyone accept Owen back on reduced wages, if no Premiership club came in for him?

Its an unlikely scenario but if no Premiership club offered him a contract, then he would give us a season in The Championship and may even get a fee by selling him if he has a good season.

Under no circumstances.

Under no circumstances.

I agree. I am a walk over most of the time and I forgive people far to easily in life but I thought you made a good point the other day Dave when you said that we STILL havent heard from him with regards to the cluibs relgation. With him being the captain thats unforgivable.

Dispicable man

Under no circumstances.

Oh I don't know, there are some circumstances in which I'd take him.

If he had his wages severely reduced to about £5000 a week, had a personality transplant and suddenly became a dedicated professional, reverted his body and ability back about 7-8 years and became completely immune to injury, then we'd talk.

For a weekly wage of sub 20k, I would, but that's not going to happen.

My friend down in the CurrentTV studio in London says the name above his on the guest register is Michael Owen.

Wonder if he's going to do an Oxfam-style appeal on tele to get someone to sign him.

Perhaps more importantly, what did he put as 'organisation'?  ;)

Guest BooBoo

Owen has washed his hand of us in the same way Ashley has. The next time we'll hear him will be when he signs on for his next club.

And the same Michael Owen who has a better goals to games ratio.