Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

I still don't get why people automatically assume this means he'll leave by the way.

He could easily have said something like, "It's a good offer, but I'm going to look to pursue my career elsewhere and talk to other clubs in January".

That's exactly how his comments today have been interpreted by some on here already though...  :lol:

That's what I mean. He's said nowt of the sort. If he wanted to do that, he'd have just said that. There's nothing we could have done about it because it's well within his rights to do so.

The best thing the club could do now is respect his decision and give him the time he wants without putting any pressure on him, while getting a back up plan ready in case he does leave.

Not go down the road of questioning his loyalty or demanding he commits to the club like we've done in the past.

Agree 100% on both points. :nods:

Praying NE5 puts it in his sig for life.

On a serious note, agreed with both fellas on this one, he's got a huge decision to make, and the club need to show its ready to put itself back where it was the 1st time he signed on, that position being what Villa are doing now.

We'll have to finish 3 places lower than out current position to be where we were when he first signed, we'd just finished 14th.

I was more on about the seasons beforehand, the seasons where we were finishing UEFA spots with no bother, the 14th was then seen as a blip rather than the norm its become, you could say almost Tottenham like now, without the trophy of course.

Guest sicko2ndbest

If people want him to stay next time he scores start chanting his name & show him some love.

This is so the right thing to do, but at the moment couldnt bring myself to write it or agree with it

Boo the disloyal twirp!!

It's a good point mind. Throughout his career, he's never been "loved" as the main man, even when he has been the main man. At Liverpool, the fans always loved Fowler more, at Real Madrid, obviously the likes of Raul were more loved, with England, it's always been about Shearer, Beckham & Rooney in his time, and here, Shearer & Martins.

I am in the camp that this is Owen leaving but he does not have the bottle to go in front of us for 90 minutes us knowing that.  He will disappear in the summer somewhere.  

He has a hell of  lot more confidence in his fitness than I do.  He is taking one hell of a gamble that one of his old injuries does not take him out the game for a while last game of the season.  

Guest Darth Toon

Can't believe anyone would be surprised he isn't signing just yet - I wouldn't in his situation either. Apart from anything else, we're still some way from securing a position as a Premier League team for next year.

At least he's definitely staying until the end of the season - we need him.

If Owen wants to go to a 'better' club in the Summer the only way he can do that is by attracting them by putting in lots of good performances for us for the rest of the season.

By staying until Summer we don't have to worry about getting a replacement in January. We've got until Summer to try to persuade him or scout for a replacement.

If he leaves in the Summer he's honoured his contract which is more than most players do.

I can't believe the people who suggest stripping him of the captaincy or booing him. How would that help us? If he was considering staying he won't if he's treated like that. It also wouldn't motivate him to play well for us.

We may end up not getting any money back for Owen but if his goals help keep us in the Premiership that is worth a lot of money.

Any money from Owen's sale could have just ended up in Mike Ashley's bank account. It was always highly unlikely NUFC would be able to sell Owen. Owen can choose where he can go in the Summer. You'd do the same in his position. I wouldn't sign a new contract until I knew the club were staying in the Premiership. It would also be nice to have the ownership situation sorted before signing. The future at Newcastle is very clouded. Can't blame him for waiting.

Owen is also taking a risk. He could get injured at some point during the rest of the season.

JOE Kinnear says he is still optimistic of Michael Owen remaining a Newcastle United player beyond the end of the 2008/09 season.

Faced with constant contract speculation, the Magpies skipper has confirmed he will not make a decision about his future until the end of the current campaign.

But Toon boss Joe says he will continue to stay hopeful that the Club's record signing will decide St. James' Park remains home.

Joe told nufc.co.uk: "Michael told me in person about his decision and I fully understand where he is coming from.

"We have a great relationship as captain and manager and that will certainly continue.

"He is focussed on scoring goals for Newcastle United and helping us keep progressing this season.

"Michael will consider his options in the summer but I am still optimistic that he will stay with us when it comes to making a decision.

"In the meantime I have no doubts whatsoever that he will continue to give 100 per cent for Newcastle United.

"Having gone six games unbeaten we are a very happy camp at Newcastle United and Michael Owen plays a big part in that as skipper.

"I'm looking forward to him continuing to score goals for us as they will be crucial in what we do for the rest of the season."

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1497249,00.html

Load of bollocks. He doesn't particularly like football, he only does it cos he is good at it. He'll wait until his contract is up and wait for whoever offers him the most money. That way he can make as much as possible for when he retires and takes up the one thing he loves...horse racing!!

If I were Ashley, I would pay whatever it takes to sign Bellamy. I would then walk up to Owen and tear up the contract offer into tiny pieces in front of his eyes. Finally I would hand him a mop and point to the floor.

It's a good point mind. Throughout his career, he's never been "loved" as the main man, even when he has been the main man. At Liverpool, the fans always loved Fowler more, at Real Madrid, obviously the likes of Raul were more loved, with England, it's always been about Shearer, Beckham & Rooney in his time, and here, Shearer & Martins.

I don't think it's a coincidence that he's never been "loved" the way that Shearer, Martins, Fowler etc are. I don't think it will bother him either. Not that I can put a finger on it, I doubt anyone can, but it's a certain aloofness or just as someone said, that deep down his real love isn't football and he's just banking the money to spend on his horses.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

If I were Ashley, I would pay whatever it takes to sign Bellamy. I would then walk up to Owen and tear up the contract offer into tiny pieces in front of his eyes. Finally I would hand him a mop and point to the floor.

Good job you don't run the clubor we'd be more fucked than we are now

Good job you don't run the clubor we'd be more f***ed than we are now

:lol:

The worrying thing for me is that if Ashley stays then the needed replacement will not be top draw. Or if we do spend money on a goalscorer, that will leave no money for anything else. No progress.