Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

Think I remember posting in this thread saying that Owen would have to be an idiot to sign the contract (purely from a his perspective before anyone starts) because he had nothing to lose and everything to gain by waiting. Well the boot's well and truly on the other foot now, so I hope the club act as sensibly/ruthlessly as he has and offer him a significantly reduced deal. They need to look at the whole thing dispassionately and figure out what he offers to the club without using his previous contract as a starting point, simply say this is what this player offers to the club and this is what we think is an appropriate wage for that. If they do that then it'll be significantly reduced from his current terms, but they should stick to it and if he turns it down then fine, see you later Michael. There's no way that this should become a get Michael Owen to sign at all costs situation as he neither offers enough on the pitch, nor off it, to make that justifiable. This isn't a Beckham type player we're talking about here; where he brings in so much income, whether he plays or not, that you can pay him as much as it takes and it'll still be worth it. Owen's never been in that kinda league, even at the top of his powers and certainly not now! It's also not a situation where he's irreplaceable on the pitch for the simple reason that he rarely is. If he was then it might be a different matter, but I don't think we can afford to pay him a contract based upon what he might be able to offer if he was able to remain fit as it's been so long since he was that we don't even know what that is any more.

If a player doesn't want to sign a contract at the start of their last season, it stands to reason that they're not going to sign one in the middle. They're obviously aiming to become a free agent, which in most cases will enable them to negotiate a more lucrative contract elsewhere.

We should have done what any normal club would have done in the circumstances, which was sell him before the start of the season. It was only because Keegan was at war with Wise that this situation has dragged on.

If a player doesn't want to sign a contract at the start of their last season, it stands to reason that they're not going to sign one in the middle. They're obviously aiming to become a free agent, which in most cases will enable them to negotiate a more lucrative contract elsewhere.

We should have done what any normal club would have done in the circumstances, which was sell him before the start of the season. It was only because Keegan, Wise and co couldn't agree on anything that this situation has dragged on.

easier said than done.

We should have done what any normal club would have done in the circumstances, which was sell him before the start of the season. It was only because Keegan was at war with Wise that this situation has dragged on.

KK was long gone when Owen was offered deal.

He's been offered a few deals including one in the summer when Keegan was still here, if I remember correctly and if the reports were true. I'd be surprised if they let him enter the final year of his contract without offering him a deal of some description.

dont think he was, he was offered it originally at the end of the aug transfer window. granted, it was withdrawn 2 days later when he left.

I just hope we've withdrawn the contract he turned his nose up at a few weeks back. 

Owen must be in our top 5 of worst transfers ever and it was predictable, only the type of injuries weren't.

I just hope we've withdrawn the contract he turned his nose up at a few weeks back. 

Owen must be in our top 5 of worst transfers ever and it was predictable, only the type of injuries weren't.

That is simply bollocks. I'm not Owen's biggest fan and yes we all knew we were signing a player who would miss games but when he has played he has scored and he was the main man at the back end of last season when we were in real trouble.

To put him alongside the likes of Boumsong, Marcelino, Luque, Maric, Guivarch and the like is bollocks.

Guest neesy111

That is simply bollocks. I'm not Owen's biggest fan and yes we all knew we were signing a player who would miss games but when he has played he has scored and he was the main man at the back end of last season when we were in real trouble.

To put him alongside the likes of Boumsong, Marcelino, Luque, Maric, Guivarch and the like is bollocks.

big difference is owen has cost this club £40 million in transfer fees and wages

goes down as the worst the club has made imo

big difference is owen has cost this club £40 million in transfer fees and wages

played a major part in keeping us up last season when he was on the field.

the others when on the field only took us backwards.

Guest neesy111

played a major part in keeping us up last season when he was on the field.

the others when on the field only took us backwards.

but there would of been another striker at the club in owen's place, who know's what they would of done probably the same amount of goals because they we're able to play most of the time and give a fucking arse

I reckon if you weighed up the costs v the points won, revenue via merchandise & game minutes played that Owen would be well ahead of that lot.

Seems like it is in vogue to now knock Owen as he's going to leave. We knew what we were buying & to be fair that is what he has delivered; goals & injuries.

Owen's definitely not one of the worst players to have played for us, but I think there is an argument to be made that buying him has turned out to be a poor deal for us, in hindsight. I don't know whether I agree with it being one of our worst, but it's far from one of our best.

Guest neesy111

Wow, where has this sudden hatred boiled out from everyone. Come from nowhere, have I missed something?

people are just fed up with the whole circus that evolves around him imo, his shit attitude and the fact his transfer and wages have made a real dent into our finances which has affected our ability to sign other players

Wow, where has this sudden hatred boiled out from everyone. Come from nowhere, have I missed something?

people are just fed up with the whole circus that evolves around him imo, his shit attitude and the fact his transfer and wages have made a real dent into our finances which has affected our ability to sign other players

I haven't noticed a circus recently, he hasn't done anything to show a bad attitude, granted we've been dented financially, but that wasn't really anyone's fault, it is just one of those things.

If Owen kissed the badge after his next goal would that convince everyone he was committed to the club? Seems to work for Barton.  Owen isn't the hardest working player, but he never has been, Martins isn't either, so many times in the past I've heard people slag Martins off for his work rate and now he's the heart and soul of the club?  If a top four club came in for Martins he'd be off, same with Owen.

• 2 weeks later...

If Owen kissed the badge after his next goal would that convince everyone he was committed to the club? Seems to work for Barton.  Owen isn't the hardest working player, but he never has been, Martins isn't either, so many times in the past I've heard people slag Martins off for his work rate and now he's the heart and soul of the club?  If a top four club came in for Martins he'd be off, same with Owen.

Well maybe like just lately when Oba said he loves the fans here is one of the reasons why we love him,dont think I have ever heard Owen say anything like that

Well maybe like just lately when Oba said he loves the fans here is one of the reasons why we love him,dont think I have ever heard Owen say anything like that

That easy then? Owen says he loves the fans and he automatically loves the club?  Like Keegan said, he doesn't need to pump his fist or kiss his badge, the fans know he loves the club by what he has done for it.

I said when Owen sigged for I did not expect him to love the club or the fans, I just wanted him to give us 100%, can we say he has dobe that?

No, but its same for Martins.  Everyone just hates Owen and loves Martins though.  :cheesy:

I said when Owen sigged for I did not expect him to love the club or the fans, I just wanted him to give us 100%, can we say he has dobe that?

Honestly, I think yes.  It's very easy to attack him with his injuries and huge wages, but while he's not always been consistent, i never think he's lacked effort.