Lua Lua smashes two goals from midfield (are you reading Joe?)

TRon

well said Wullie.

we had to shift Beye up to right wing and put taylor RB after moving jonas infield. had lua lua been on the bench he couldve slotted in at right-wing instead, keeping some sort of shape down that flank. i havent seen lua lua that much but he doesnt look out of his depth and has shown some glimpses of real talent. looks no worse than N'Zogbia did when he began to play in the first team. he's at the stage where he should be getting 15mins here and there, and the odd start too. ridiculous to suggest he is in "no way..even remotely ready for first team action" when he's already played in the first team.

Strange one this, thinking about it, i wouldnt put him in becasue an environment like this will do nothing but stifle his talent. I cant think of too many young players with obvious talent who are able to develop in a team that is struggling. Would be too much too soon if you ask me. Dont mind the odd cameo appereancebut nothin too heavy, not whilst we're inthe shit we are in at the moment.

If U18 (not even reserve) performances translated to the first team, we'd be winning the league with a frontline of Ranger and Carroll by now.

Have him on the bench to cameo when we're 3-0 up or as emergency cover, fine, but in no way is he even remotely ready for first team action, and any suggestion that he should be starting is nothing short of insane really.

Based on what?

Common sense. It's infinitely more likely that he's not than he is.

Common sense but you've not seen him play? Wayne Rooney was 16 when he scored for Everton against Arsenal - at the end of the day, if Lua Lua is going to be good enough, the only way he'll get there is by playing football, and I'm not talking reserve or U18 stuff. It's Catch 22 but at the end of the day kids don't develop sat on their arse or playing against Whitley Bay in the NSC.

Somewhat unlikely he'll be the next Rooney but he should be getting game time against teams like Stoke at 2-0 up with no other midfield options - if in five years he's not improved, fair enough, but when the alternative is shuffling everyone else out of position and hoying two points down the drain, I'll take my chances tbh.

Yes I did go to the Peter Beardsley School of Footballing Cliches. Obviously.

If U18 (not even reserve) performances translated to the first team, we'd be winning the league with a frontline of Ranger and Carroll by now.

Have him on the bench to cameo when we're 3-0 up or as emergency cover, fine, but in no way is he even remotely ready for first team action, and any suggestion that he should be starting is nothing short of insane really.

Based on what?

Common sense but you've not seen him play? Wayne Rooney was 16 when he scored for Everton against Arsenal - at the end of the day, if Lua Lua is going to be good enough, the only way he'll get there is by playing football, and I'm not talking reserve or U18 stuff. It's Catch 22 but at the end of the day kids don't develop sat on their arse or playing against Whitley Bay in the NSC.

Somewhat unlikely he'll be the next Rooney but he should be getting game time against teams like Stoke at 2-0 up with no other midfield options - if in five years he's not improved, fair enough, but when the alternative is shuffling everyone else out of position and hoying two points down the drain, I'll take my chances tbh.

I think you'll agree that Rooney is literally a one in a million case. And believe me, if we actually had a Rooney, we'd know.

I agree, he should be getting game time against teams like Stoke at 2-0 up. What I don't agree with is the extremists who think he should get a starting place just because Butt and Duff are shit. There's no way he's ready for that and it would just torpedo his confidence.

Part of the reason Newcastle succedes in failing, they are s*** scared of trying young players out. Give the lad a shot.

I don't agree with that whatsoever, really. Our youngsters have just been s***, that's the problem. Ramage, Taylor, Edgar, Huntington, Pattison, Brittain, O'Brien, Chopra, Carroll - off the top of me head - have been our alleged 'better products' of the academy. And they've all had a fair amount of playing time in the first team.

We do seem to have some sort of phobia of using the young'uns at crucial times, though.

We throw our kids in far too late though. Clubs like Everton, West Ham, Boro and Arsenal throw young 'uns in at 16, we wait till they're in their 20s, by which time kids at other clubs are too far ahead to ever catch.

If we had young players like Vaughan, Noble, Wheater, or any of Arsenal's youngsters, we would have played them more. Which of our young players over the past 5 years would you have given more game time to? If anything, the likes of Shola, Taylor, Ramage, Lua Lua etc. were forced to play far too much.

The clubs in question have also had the luxury of being relatively stable for the past few years, which we haven't.

I think the problem is in the quality of our academy itself, not with how much of a look in youngsters are getting to the first team.

Part of the reason Newcastle succedes in failing, they are s*** scared of trying young players out. Give the lad a shot.

I don't agree with that whatsoever, really. Our youngsters have just been s***, that's the problem. Ramage, Taylor, Edgar, Huntington, Pattison, Brittain, O'Brien, Chopra, Carroll - off the top of me head - have been our alleged 'better products' of the academy. And they've all had a fair amount of playing time in the first team.

We do seem to have some sort of phobia of using the young'uns at crucial times, though.

We throw our kids in far too late though. Clubs like Everton, West Ham, Boro and Arsenal throw young 'uns in at 16, we wait till they're in their 20s, by which time kids at other clubs are too far ahead to ever catch.

If we had young players like Vaughan, Noble, Wheater, or any of Arsenal's youngsters, we would have played them more. Which of our young players over the past 5 years would you have given more game time to? If anything, the likes of Shola, Taylor, Ramage, Lua Lua etc. were forced to play far too much.

The clubs in question have also had the luxury of being relatively stable for the past few years, which we haven't.

I think the problem is in the quality of our academy itself, not with how much of a look in youngsters are getting to the first team.

Is the right answer.

Based on what?

I think you'll agree that Rooney is literally a one in a million case. And believe me, if we actually had a Rooney, we'd know.

I agree, he should be getting game time against teams like Stoke at 2-0 up. What I don't agree with is the extremists who think he should get a starting place just because Butt and Duff are shit. There's no way he's ready for that and it would just torpedo his confidence.

The thread wasn't about throwing kids into the first team picture because it feels exciting. We had a bench against Stoke which didn't contain one single midfielder, despite the fact we have three first team central midfielders out injured before Guthrie limped off. Instead of giving one of our more promising young midfielders a place on the bench...I repeat - just a place on the fucking bench - we ended up playing Beye on the right wing and throwing away a crucial 2 points. I find that sort of bone-headed management unforgiveable tbh. Straight out of the Graeme Souness school of decision making.

Based on what?

I agree, he should be getting game time against teams like Stoke at 2-0 up. What I don't agree with is the extremists who think he should get a starting place just because Butt and Duff are s***. There's no way he's ready for that and it would just torpedo his confidence.

The thread wasn't about throwing kids into the first team picture because it feels exciting. We had a bench against Stoke which didn't contain one single midfielder, despite the fact we have three first team central midfielders out injured before Guthrie limped off. Instead of giving one of our more promising young midfielders a place on the bench...I repeat - just a place on the f***ing bench - we ended up playing Beye on the right wing and throwing away a crucial 2 points. I find that sort of bone-headed management unforgiveable tbh. Straight out of the Graeme Souness school of decision making.

Again, you're not saying a single thing I'm disagreeing with.

I think he'd be a great little player to bring on from the bench, particularly if we're chasing the game. He's probably not ready to start, but he looks very confident to me, and he wouldn't freeze, which is the main worry about young players.

I just hope that, with all the turmoil at the club, his contract is sorted out. I worry that someone's going to steal him away. Above all the players at this club, he's the one that I'd be most sorry to see leave.

Guest toonlass

What the heck is the point of having a youth and reserve system if we are not going to let them play. On saturday we should have had Kazenga on the bench, and brought him on. We were winning at the time, and having a midfielder/forward in midfield would have been better than having a defender in midfield. If the lad cannot make his premiership debut in a situation like that then when the heck is a better time for him? Its a total lack of confidence on the part of successive Newcastle managers that has seen our youth development crash and burn for years!

What the heck is the point of having a youth and reserve system if we are not going to let them play. On saturday we should have had Kazenga on the bench, and brought him on. We were winning at the time, and having a midfielder/forward in midfield would have been better than having a defender in midfield. If the lad cannot make his premiership debut in a situation like that then when the heck is a better time for him? Its a total lack of confidence on the part of successive Newcastle managers that has seen our youth development crash and burn for years!

He has already made his Premiership debut.

The only way we'll ever know if he's going to be any good is by throwing him in at the deep end...

Lets play safe while were fucking around with relegation ay. The last time I saw Lua Lua play was last season against Sunderland 2nd XI & he was fucking shite, but then he was playing against players like Liam Miller & Ross Wallace players with nous who have played CL football not the cream of Oldham's youth team.

The academy players who are in & around the first team Taylor, Edgar & Carroll are light years ahead Lua Lua although them chaps are not midfielders, which I think is part of the point Ron was making.

Guest toonlass

My bad, I can only remember him coming on at the stoke cup game.

He came off the bench 3 times in the FA Cup, twice against Stoke and against Arsenal and also came off the bench against Bolton and Everton in the Premier League.

The only way we'll ever know if he's going to be any good is by throwing him in at the deep end...

Lets play safe while were f***ing around with relegation ay. The last time I saw Lua Lua play was last season against Sunderland 2nd XI & he was f***ing s****, but then he was playing against players like Liam Miller & Ross Wallace players with nous who have played CL football not the cream of Oldham's youth team.

The academy players who are in & around the first team Taylor, Edgar & Carroll are light years ahead Lua Lua although them chaps are not midfielders, which I think is part of the point Ron was making.

Play safe? We have no fucker to play in the centre of the park.

There's one thing this kid alone will bring to the team that the likes of Butt and Duff have forgotten all about and that is hunger. The lad is hungry for the game and hungry to prove he can play it.

Now I'm not naive enough to think that this lad is just going to walk into the side and pull the strings for years to come. However, this game is leaning process. The only way you learn is by doing. If this lad is to stand a chance he needs some exposure to the first team, relegation fight or not.

You can have all the hunger in the world but if you don't develop the talent you have then it becomes pointless. So give the lad a chance to shine, even if it's for a twenty minute period at the end of the odd game. It might be refreshing to have new blood in an ageing side which appears to have everything to lose.

Guest toonlass

He came off the bench 3 times in the FA Cup, twice against Stoke and against Arsenal and also came off the bench against Bolton and Everton in the Premier League.

Then get the bugger on the bench then

Lets play safe while were f***ing around with relegation ay. The last time I saw Lua Lua play was last season against Sunderland 2nd XI & he was f***ing s****, but then he was playing against players like Liam Miller & Ross Wallace players with nous who have played CL football not the cream of Oldham's youth team.

Colo can play there, CNZ can play there & so can Geremi, so there is 3 players.

If LuaLua comes off the bench he has to play on the right wing to be honest. He'd be useless in central midfield at this level.

I'm not update on the injury front, how long is Guthrie out for?

If he has a long lay off we're risking all three of our competent centre backs. Zoggy is wasted in the middle so your left with Butt and Geremi, is it too much to even stick the lad on the bench?

If he has a long lay off we're risking all three of our competent centre backs. Zoggy is wasted in the middle so your left with Butt and Geremi, is it too much to even stick the lad on the bench?

The bench is okay as we should as Ron  pointed out we should at least have a midfielder on it..

We slag off Ramage but the lad made his debut six months shy of his 22nd birthday. He spent his major developing years playing against stiffs and local Sunday league teams (didn't even get to go out on loan) and then got hoyed in against Rooney and Ronaldo at Old Trafford who've both been honing their ability at the top level since they left school. That gives him no chance at all. Alright, so more than likely he'd have been rubbish anyway but there's no substitute for experience - someone mentioned Wheater earlier, that lad was a right fucking donkey when he first started getting in the Boro side, having been unable to get a game at Wolves and Doncaster previously.