Lua Lua smashes two goals from midfield (are you reading Joe?)

TRon

i'm always interested by the belief that you can't put kids in the first team, especially when the team is struggling, because it will shatter their confidence

can anyone think of any examples of this actually happening?  has anyone ever met a footballer?  they're incredibly self-believing (if that term even exists) and i have no doubt that if you threw a bairn in and he had a nightmare he'd be getting right back in for the next game if selected without a second thought

it'd be different matter if the crowd were vocally showing their displeasure, granted, but what kind of cunt would shout at an 18 year old when we're in this kind of state, in fact ever?

duff and smith are fucking shit and the longer they remain in or around our first team we will edge closer to the relegation zone,  personally i'm a "go out in flames" kinda person rather than a "die with whimper" one...we will die with a whimper if we persevere with these set of useless twats & this manager

i'm always interested by the belief that you can't put kids in the first team, especially when the team is struggling, because it will shatter their confidence

can anyone think of any examples of this actually happening?  has anyone ever met a footballer?  they're incredibly self-believing (if that term even exists) and i have no doubt that if you threw a bairn in and he had a nightmare he'd be getting right back in for the next game if selected without a second thought

it'd be different matter if the crowd were vocally showing their displeasure, granted, but what kind of cunt would shout at an 18 year old when we're in this kind of state, in fact ever?

duff and smith are fucking shit and the longer they remain in or around our first team we will edge closer to the relegation zone,  personally i'm a "go out in flames" kinda person rather than a "die with whimper" one...we will die with a whimper if we persevere with these set of useless twats & this manager

Well there's a few of those, so I think that danger is a bit more significant than you're saying. I think Jenas was affected in that way.

The bigger problem though for managers of Premiership clubs - especially ones like ours where the expectations are still quite high - is how you give young players the experience they need for the long-term, without weakening the side too much in the short term. A lot of young players now seem to have to gain their experience on loan, or even through being transferred to other clubs and then working their way back up. It often takes a bit of nerve on the part of a manager, because building for the future often means axing one of the fans' old favourites and then seeing performances dip in the short-term.

Wenger and Ferguson are very astute in the way they do this, but I suppose it's a lot easier when you're at the top of the league rather than near the bottom.

Wenger and Ferguson are very astute in the way they do this, but I suppose it's a lot easier when you're at the top of the league rather than near the bottom.

I don't think it very astute at all, it is a lot easier as they have more situations where it wont make a such a negative impact having inexperienced players playing.

Well there's a few of those, so I think that danger is a bit more significant than you're saying. I think Jenas was affected in that way.

The bigger problem though for managers of Premiership clubs - especially ones like ours where the expectations are still quite high - is how you give young players the experience they need for the long-term, without weakening the side too much in the short term. A lot of young players now seem to have to gain their experience on loan, or even through being transferred to other clubs and then working their way back up. It often takes a bit of nerve on the part of a manager, because building for the future often means axing one of the fans' old favourites and then seeing performances dip in the short-term.

it's the bit in bold i have a problem with - we're shite, at best average, i just don't see how giving someone like lua lua or ranger a shot is gonna hurt a fucking thing

obviously i'm not talking about replacing the whole team with reserves but where we patently have a problem with "senior" players under performing and the window is closed/owner won't spend then go for it i say

it'd be different matter if the crowd were vocally showing their displeasure, granted, but what kind of c*** would shout at an 18 year old when we're in this kind of state, in fact ever?

duff and smith are f***ing s*** and the longer they remain in or around our first team we will edge closer to the relegation zone,  personally i'm a "go out in flames" kinda person rather than a "die with whimper" one...we will die with a whimper if we persevere with these set of useless twats & this manager

it's the bit in bold i have a problem with - we're s****, at best average, i just don't see how giving someone like lua lua or ranger a shot is gonna hurt a f***ing thing

obviously i'm not talking about replacing the whole team with reserves but where we patently have a problem with "senior" players under performing and the window is closed/owner won't spend then go for it i say

I can see a case for Lua Lua as we are short in midfield. 

As for Nile he has had a great first season with club & has been on the bench a few times this season but with likes of Owen, Oba, Viduka, Shola, Xisco & Carroll he is not really going to get a run at all.

it'd be different matter if the crowd were vocally showing their displeasure, granted, but what kind of c*** would shout at an 18 year old when we're in this kind of state, in fact ever?

duff and smith are f***ing s*** and the longer they remain in or around our first team we will edge closer to the relegation zone,  personally i'm a "go out in flames" kinda person rather than a "die with whimper" one...we will die with a whimper if we persevere with these set of useless twats & this manager

it's the bit in bold i have a problem with - we're s****, at best average, i just don't see how giving someone like lua lua or ranger a shot is gonna hurt a f***ing thing

I can see a case for Lua Lua as we are short in midfield. 

As for Nile he has had a great first season with club & has been on the bench a few times this season but with likes of Owen, Oba, Viduka, Shola, Xisco & Carroll he is not really going to get a run at all.

just picked two players, maybe kadar would be a better example for covering enrique or something....

Guest Darth Toon

One thing KK was always very good at was playing a youngster in their preferred position rather than moving a more experienced player out of position - hence players like Edgar getting a run at centre half last season and doing pretty well.

If you're a young right winger in our reserves and you see Habib Beye playing your position ahead of you, or a young centre mid watching Cacapa bumbling about in there, it must be an absolute knacker for your confidence.

I don't think it very astute at all, it is a lot easier as they have more situations where it wont make a such a negative impact having inexperienced players playing.

It's easier to blood young players when the team is doing well, for sure, but there's still some pressure around that decision. Both managers are prepared to take the unpopular but correct decision of getting rid of a big name player just before the real decline sets in eg Henry, Van Nistelrooy, Cantona. Fans don't always recognise when that time has come, and if there's a dip in the team's performance as a result of rebuilding - even if it's from 1st to 3rd, they often blame the manager. The time when Ferguson really showed his nerve was when he pitched in the young players at the start of the 1995-96 season. Everyone started saying he didn't know what he was doing, but he was proved right in the end, to our cost unfortunately.

it's the bit in bold i have a problem with - we're shite, at best average, i just don't see how giving someone like lua lua or ranger a shot is gonna hurt a fucking thing

Well I don't agree that we're so bad that things can't get worse. We're probably in the most difficult situation of all for pitching in youngsters - at risk of relegation but by no means desperate.

Lua Lua I feel confident about. He's already got first team experience and looked very composed. He got himself involved right away. Striker is a more difficult role and more needing of experience, so whilst you could pitch Ranger in if you're desperate, I think he could sink without trace.

A few years ago, when there was only two points for a win and fewer European places, I think more teams ended up in mid-table safety, with nothing to chase and nothing to fear. In that situation, it was far more easy to take chances with young players.

Guest Jawesome

We need some young, naive kid to come on with 10 minutes to go.  Someone with the hunger to do well, someone who'll run themselves into the ground before the end of the game, someone who's not frightened to take on their man because they know they are only ever going to make the bench this season.  Someone who's not frightened to fail, basically.

We need some young, naive kid to come on with 10 minutes to go.  Someone with the hunger to do well, someone who'll run themselves into the ground before the end of the game, someone who's not frightened to take on their man because they know they are only ever going to make the bench this season.  Someone who's not frightened to fail, basically.

Before that we just need a midfielder on the bench. If all our other midfielders are injured then...here's a novel idea...why not put a promising 18 yeare old midfielder on the bench just in case we lose one of our midfileders?

It's a radical suggestion I know and so risky. ooooh...Lua Lua might die of fright if he had to play 20 mins as a sub....oh lordy lordy anything but that... :frantic:

Well said, and I think we have the right lad for the job.

Guest palnese

soopa nile?

soopa nile?

Noooooooo. The Great Kazenga.

The flanks are probably the 'easiest' places to bring in youngsters tbh.

I'd agree. There's less responsibility and the role is a bit simpler.

I reckon we should bring on donninger to inject some pace in the last few minutes if we have the chance.

Does Kazenga do a backflip when he scores? (might have been mentioned)

Doninger isn't exactly rapid, do you mean Godsmark?

Neither of whom are even close to being ready for Premier League football.

we should play the same system throughout the ranks...so everyone is bought or developed to fit one or two positions! so everytime a youngster get the chances he would know what to do because hes familar with the position!

To be able to do that we need a manager with vision to stay for at least 3-4 years.....that would really benefit the club all over!

Get SHEARER to do that job!!

we should play the same system throughout the ranks...so everyone is bought or developed to fit one or two positions! so everytime a youngster get the chances he would know what to do because hes familar with the position!

To be able to do that we need a manager with vision to stay for at least 3-4 years.....that would really benefit the club all over!

Would help a lot imo as well.

Guest Heneage

Does Wenger not watch every kid in the door at the start look at his key attributes and say right this is where you are playing this is what you are best suited to?

Would help a lot imo as well.

You would think that most clubs at this level do this already but with us it's all too easy to believe we don't. I always get the feeling that youngsters are considered a last resort for first team action at Newcastle. For me the sensible thing would be to promote them to the bench when we have injuries in a specific area in the team like - let's say from the top of my head - central midfield.

Personally i'll be pissed if Lua Lua gets in the team while were fighting relegation, we have enough good players in our side and just need a manager who isn't f***ing clueless.

I'd rather him than a Cacapa, Jonas midfield combo, Pompey's midfield would absolutely kill them.

If its to keep Cacapa out then i'm all for it!

But surley we can come up with something better, Colo used to play in midfield at times. or just throw 3 strikers in.