The future with Shepherd

Taylor Swift
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

97/98 season was when I really felt it was squeeky bum time btw. For a brief moment that is.

you could argue shepherd acted too early at times but too his (and the boards) credit at least action was always taken and the unthinkable avoided, has to be said

Sacking Dalglish in August '99 was his worst decision imo. He'd just built a half-decent side and signed the likes of Dabizas, Speed, Hamann, Given & Solano, had drawn at Chelsea 1-1, and then was sacked! I think had he hung on to Dalglish he'd have done a good job in the end.

You really felt worse under those two than now? Honestly?

Yes, we had players fighting on the pitch and getting sent off, a player calling the manager a liar on National TV while plumetting down the league.  I don't think I've watched a match yet and felt as bad as I did the day Birmingham pissed all over us at home in the cup.

You really felt worse under those two than now? Honestly?

Yes, we had players fighting on the pitch and getting sent off, a player calling the manager a liar on National TV while plumetting down the league.  I don't think I've watched a match yet and felt as bad as I did the day Birmingham pissed all over us at home in the cup.

said earlier on people have forgotten how bad things were at times, fuck me that's just made me one of them

jesus christ

97/98 season was when I really felt it was squeeky bum time btw. For a brief moment that is.

you could argue shepherd acted too early at times but too his (and the boards) credit at least action was always taken and the unthinkable avoided, has to be said

Sacking Dalglish in August '99 was his worst decision imo. He'd just built a half-decent side and signed the likes of Dabizas, Speed, Hamann, Given & Solano, had drawn at Chelsea 1-1, and then was sacked! I think had he hung on to Dalglish he'd have done a good job in the end.

perhaps, but nothing dalglish has subsequently done since suggests so...he couldn't even cut it with barnes at celtic, but yeah you might be right...had dalglish got the chance to get some proper time with shearer things might have been different

Losing at home to Sheff Utd with Rossi and Duff up front is still the worst I've felt in recent times at any one moment.

I should add that current times have run it very close though. The club lacks direction now more than I've ever known it to.

He hasn't sacked a manager the same season that he appointed him, we could have ended up in that position with Allardyce.

He hasn't sacked a manager the same season that he appointed him, we could have ended up in that position with Allardyce.

true, i thought allardyce would've kept us up though, assuming he'd been given some backing in the january window...would've still been horrible shite but i don't think we'd have gone down

said earlier on people have forgotten how bad things were at times, f*** me that's just made me one of them

jesus christ

Things are easy to forget considering the shit we're in now, it's a bit like having to choose between a heart attack and cancer.  I can understand people forgetting when what happened back then doesn't cost us points this season.

true, i thought allardyce would've kept us up though, assuming he'd been given some backing in the january window...would've still been horrible s**** but i don't think we'd have gone down

Luckilly we didn't have to find out.

said earlier on people have forgotten how bad things were at times, f*** me that's just made me one of them

jesus christ

Things are easy to forget considering the shit we're in now, it's a bit like having to choose between a heart attack and cancer.  I can understand people forgetting when what happened back then doesn't cost us points this season.

guess it's more my mind is focused on other horrible bits that i just can't keep them all in!!  the end of robsons tenure and the way the man was treated broke me for FS + the old board, there was no going back for me then...he deserved dignity and got pissed all over

things like that make me forget the fighting on the pitch shit

I think 2006/7 was the worst. If we'd lost that game at Sheff Utd, I really think we'd have went down.

Actually, if we'd lost at West Ham & Sheff Utd that season, which let's face it wouldn't have been totally unbelievable, the table would have ended...

13....West Ham..........44 pts

14....Man City.............42 pts

15....Sheff Utd............41 pts

16....Fulham................39 pts

17....Wigan..................38pts

------------------------------------

18....NEWCASTLE.........37pts

19....Charlton...............34pts

20....Watford................28pts

Now personally, I find that a lot scarier, to think 2 simple reversals would have seen us relegated, than now where there's still loads of football to be played.

Actually, if we'd lost at West Ham & Sheff Utd that season, which let's face it wouldn't have been totally unbelievable, the table would have ended...

Now personally, I find that a lot scarier, to think 2 simple reversals would have seen us relegated, than now where there's still loads of football to be played.

I can still understand why some people are more worried now as no matter what happens we'll not go back in time and get relegated.

Yeah I can definitely see why people are worried, but we've been in worse positions at later stages of the season.

Probably because we haven't been in this position during this time of the season before. Not that I can remember anyway.

Yeah I can definitely see why people are worried, but we've been in worse positions at later stages of the season.

Probably because we haven't been in this position during this time of the season before. Not that I can remember anyway.

2006-7 after 16 games with a game-in-hand (pretty much the same as now), we'd just beat Reading 3-2 to go to 16 points, just 2 points above the relegation zone. Almost identical to this position, but I think unlike that season, we've got the goals in us to get us comfortably safe.

2006-7 after 16 games with a game-in-hand (pretty much the same as now), we'd just beat Reading 3-2 to go to 16 points, just 2 points above the relegation zone. Almost identical to this position, but I think unlike that season, we've got the goals in us to get us comfortably safe.

Fucking hell, shows how bad my memory is.

f***ing hell, shows how bad my memory is.

I cheated to be fair. ;)

http://toonstats.homestead.com/files/200607web.htm

i dont think 06-07 was anywhere near as bad as the season Tooj pinpoints. mainly because a poor run-in made our final finish look close when in fact we were never going to be caught by those at the bottom. we were comfortably clear of the bottom three with a few games left  - 9 points from 18th with 3 games left, 7 points clear with 2 games left - so relegation was a non-issue at that stage. in fact we were so comfortably dismal that season that roeder felt he could quit with a game remaining. the middle of the season when martins had adjusted to the league we looked pretty good and it wasnt until our amazingly pathetic surrender to alkmaar that we lost impetus.

I think 2006/7 was the worst. If we'd lost that game at Sheff Utd, I really think we'd have went down.

and people like to point to 06-06 as a season of good memories. Absolutely unbelievable, we comfortably deserved relegation that season

Guest Howaythetoon

I believe had Fat Fred stayed on, we'd have consolidated as a club with Big Sam slowly but surely turning us around during the term of his contract. To which degree I don't know, certainly not top 4 material but top 8 perhaps.

Seriously, you change your tune more than an I-Pod.

I thought and posted pretty much the same thing when he was appointed you dullard.

I believe had Fat Fred stayed on, we'd have consolidated as a club with Big Sam slowly but surely turning us around during the term of his contract. To which degree I don't know, certainly not top 4 material but top 8 perhaps.

Seriously, you change your tune more than an I-Pod.

I thought and posted pretty much the same thing when he was appointed you dullard.

And then when Allardyce went, your opinion changed on him, and when Keegan went, you're opinion changed on Ashley.