Portsmouth 0 - 3 Newcastle United - 14/12/08 - Post match jubilation from p20

Dave

Guest Howaythetoon

You don't see many players get the better of Crouch in the air but Bassong won nearly everything the two of them went for.

Crouch is average in the air when asked to direct his headers or challenge others in a dual to win the ball. He's at his best in the air when he can get a head start and flick it forwards for runners. I'm not surprised Bassong did well in that department against him.

Of the two teams today there is no doubt that we had the better players in almost every position. It was great to see them prove it.

Today game highlighted one thing and that is how close we actually are to building a competitive squad. For a fair few years now we've had a poor first team with the odd star player dotted in for good measure.

Given                    Given

Griffin/Hughes        Beye

Woodgate              Collocini

O'Brien                  Bassong

Bernard                  Enrique

Solano                    Jonas

Jenas/Dyer            Guthrie

Speed                    Butt/Barton

Robert                    Zog

Shearer                  Owen

Bellamy                  Martins

If you ask me, that is a very good first team, are we actually that far away from building something worthwhile?

Guest firetotheworks

Today game highlighted one thing and that is how close we actually are to building a competitive squad. For a fair few years now we've had a poor first team with the odd star player dotted in for good measure.

Given                     Given

O'Brien                   Bassong

Jenas/Dyer             Guthrie

Speed                     Butt/Barton

Bellamy                   Martins

If you ask me, that is a very good first team, are we actually that far away from building something worthwhile?

Our midfield and striking partnership isnt as good as before in my opinion, but the new back 4 pisses all over the other one.

Given                     Given

O'Brien                   Bassong

Jenas/Dyer             Guthrie

Speed                    Butt/Barton

Bellamy                   Martins

We obviously have a total lack of depth in key positions, but I would also argue that our first choice options in the positions in bold need to be stronger if we want to be a top 6 or 7 team in the future.  Without taking anything away from Guthrie's performance, our options in central midfield are nowhere near good enough. 

Given                     Given

O'Brien                   Bassong

Jenas/Dyer             Guthrie

Speed                     Butt/Barton

Bellamy                   Martins

Our midfield and striking partnership isnt as good as before in my opinion, but the new back 4 pisses all over the other one.

Id agree with you, my point really is that we actually have something really good to build on and its not like we were with Roeder where we were miles off. We're a couple of star players away from having a top6 first team but a little bit off having a top6 squad. 

Amazing what a win can do.

FUCK YEAH

Great performance, 3 good goals and looked fairly solid at the back, I finally saw us win away. :smitten:

Given 7 - Made some great saves that kept us in it.

Beye 7 - Solid.

Coloccini 8 - Class apart from one dodgy ball.

Bassong 8 - A rock, an absolutely outstanding prospect imo. And he can't half bust some fucking moves.  mackems.gif

Enrique 6 - If this lad could pass it he'd be average.

Jonas 7 - Few good interceptions, never gives it away.

Butt 7 - Improved after half time.

Guthrie 7 - Never gives it away, very slippery, nice goal too.

Zog 7 - Decent outlet, still lacks a cutting edge for me.

Owen 7 - Fucking gorgeous finish, neat and tidy rest of the time.

Oba 7 - Frustrating as fuck, because he can do brilliant things, unfortunately he also does some terrible things and fucks up good opportunities.

Given                     Given                    Given

Griffin/Hughes        Beye                    Carr

Woodgate              Collocini              Taylor

O'Brien                   Bassong              Bramble

Bernard                  Enrique                Babayaro

Solano                    Jonas                  Milner

Jenas/Dyer             Guthrie                Emre/Butt

Speed                     Butt/Barton          Parker

Robert                    Zog                      Duff/Zog

Shearer                  Owen                    Sibierski /Shola

Bellamy                   Martins                Martins

Contrast that with what we had under Roeder which was only a year and a half ago.

Martins now or Bellamy then...who would you prefer?

Id go for a fully fit Bellamy, he's got such a good footballing brain and a pain in the arse to play against, Martins is good and keeps you on the edge of the seat but Bellamy posed simlar threats that Martins does but has a bit more to his game.

Bellamy also proved at Blackburn that he does have a decent amount of goal in him.

Guest Howaythetoon

Given                    Given                    Given

Woodgate              Collocini              Taylor

O'Brien                  Bassong              Bramble

Solano                    Jonas                  Milner

Jenas/Dyer            Guthrie                Emre/Butt

Speed                    Butt/Barton          Parker

Robert                    Zog                      Duff/Zog

Bellamy                  Martins                Martins

Contrast that with what we had under Roeder which was only a year and a half ago.

The trouble with that is contrast Everton, Villa, Spurs, Pompey squads to a few years ago and they too have improved... beyond what we have. Our squad is still small, rather average and for me more significantly still unbalanced.

Given Given Given

Griffin/Hughes Beye Carr

Woodgate Collocini Taylor

O'Brien Bassong Bramble

Bernard Enrique Babayaro

Solano Jonas Milner

Jenas/Dyer Guthrie Emre/Butt

Speed Butt/Barton Parker

Robert Zog Duff/Zog

Shearer Owen Sibierski /Shola

Bellamy Martins Martins

The trouble with that is contrast Everton, Villa, Spurs, Pompey squads to a few years ago and they too have improved... beyond what we have. Our squad is still small, rather average and for me more significantly still unbalanced.

Absolutely, 100% agree with you there but i dont want to get into why this is the case..... I wouldnt say the squad is average to be honest, we have some cracking players, we just need a spark or 2, like we were before SBR signed Bellamy and Robert.

We've had 4 years in the footballing wilderness dont forget, its no wonder those who were lagging behind us have caught up.

Woodgate              Collocini               Taylor

O'Brien                   Bassong               Bramble

Solano                    Jonas                   Milner

Jenas/Dyer             Guthrie                 Emre/Butt

Robert                    Zog                       Duff/Zog

Bellamy                   Martins                 Martins

Absolutely, 100% agree with you there but i dont want to get into why this is the case..... I wouldnt say the squad is average to be honest, we have some cracking players, we just need a spark or 2, like we were before SBR signed Bellamy and Robert. 

We've had 4 years in the footballing wilderness dont forget.

Problem is that our squad at the moment isn't all that sustainable.

Beye has a season or two left in him at most, Enrique will get sick of Kinnear giving him s*** sooner or later, Butt is pretty much done already, and Owen is leaving. I don't know what the Zog's situation is but we'll probably have to replace him with a RW and put Jonas on the left.

Major question marks over some key components in the squad there. Short term I think we're solid as long as we fill up the CM position, long term, we might actually need two fullbacks, two cms, a right winger, and two strikers in the summer, which is a tall, tall order.

Id go for a fully fit Bellamy, he's got such a good footballing brain and a pain in the arse to play against, Martins is good and keeps you on the edge of the seat but Bellamy posed simlar threats that Martins does but has a bit more to his game.

Bellamy also proved at Blackburn that he does have a decent amount of goal in him.

I love Bellamy but Martins is more of a goal threat, quicker and much more diifcult to defend against. A lot more physically imposing too

Guest sicko2ndbest

Our starting 11 with players who contracts dont run out until next year or further down the line are:

Given

Beye

Coloccini

Bassong

Jose

Jonas

Guthrie

Barton

Zog

Oba

Striker

We are not far away. If we have another good window we will be more than fine

Guest Jawesome

Defoe is a cheating little cunt btw. Ridiculous that him and that useless bastard Crouch are in the England squad ahead of Owen.

For some reason the media fucking love the pair of them anarl.  Much better striking options out there iyam.

Woodgate              Collocini               Taylor

O'Brien                   Bassong               Bramble

Solano                    Jonas                   Milner

Jenas/Dyer             Guthrie                 Emre/Butt

Robert                    Zog                       Duff/Zog

Bellamy                   Martins                 Martins

We've had 4 years in the footballing wilderness dont forget.

Problem is that our squad at the moment isn't all that sustainable.

Beye has a season or two left in him at most, Enrique will get sick of Kinnear giving him s*** sooner or later, Butt is pretty much done already, and Owen is leaving. I don't know what the Zog's situation is but we'll probably have to replace him with a RW and put Jonas on the left.

Major question marks over some key components in the squad there. Short term I think we're solid as long as we fill up the CM position, long term, we might actually need two fullbacks, two cms, a right winger, and two strikers in the summer, which is a tall, tall order.

Like i say, our squad isnt top6 but our first team could be. We're not as far off as people are making out.

I love Bellamy but Martins is more of a goal threat, quicker and much more diifcult to defend against. A lot more physically imposing too

Id disagree with that, Bellamy was an intelligent footballer, his movement was good and he knew how to use his pace. I cant think of the number of times he's assited Shearer. He was also a defenders nightmare with his attitude. your right about Martins being more of a goal threat but i think Bellamy did offer more for the team.