Portsmouth 0 - 3 Newcastle United - 14/12/08 - Post match jubilation from p20

Dave

When we actually play properly and don't sit too deep after going in front, we hold onto leads relatively easily.

Against Villa after we scored they never looked in it, and today after we scored it's the same.

We've proven that we can hold onto leads extremely comfortably by playing possession football, so there's no reason for us to sit deep at all.

The defence simply has to stay as is, it's been absolutely fantastic.

exactly we looked at our worst when coming out for 2nd halfs 2-0 up V Stoke and WBA and sitting deep,wasting time and just trying to hold on for the points, both those games should have been 3 or 4 nil wins based on the 1st halfs

Great result, very happy with that, very happy with the back 4, very happy with our wingers, especially Zog who whilst may not be putting in the performnaces of his life but is proving a valuable outlet on the left with some good runs, seems to be cementing his place in the side which im very happy about. Up front we were good, the balance still isnt quite right, special mention to Guthrie who i think is absolutely excellent, he's a better version of Scotty Parker and i feel has a big fuiture ahead of him.

Guthrie seems to have really grown as the season has gone on, and last three games he's been outstanding. I thought after the first 10 mins we pretty much controlled the game. After taking the lead we did drop back, but the difference this game was that we broke with intent and passed the ball well once we broke up their attack. Massive three points and it will do wonders for the team's confidence...not to mention mine. Well done lads.

Bassong and Coloccini, 3 clean sheets out of 4. Surely that's them cemented as a partnership

Has to be.

Hopefully Taylor learn something from this! He's so far from the starting XI at the moment...

Not sure if Enrique was MOM as he didn't impress in the first half IMO. No mistakes but when going forward a long pass up to Martins looked like his only option(last season he played some very nice passing combinations to get out of the trouble). Beye had a great game again as well!

1st away win in last 11 Premier League games for us. Something to build up for and this surely will do miracles to players confidence!

Colo, Bassong, Jonas and Guthrie all bought in the Summer i imo all very good signings.

Really hope that whoever was responsible for those finding these players and signing them - assuming it was not Keegan - continues in their role of finding and recruiting players for the club, particularly with an unknown quantity like Kinnear in charge.

Yea i agree, IF it was Wise then he deserve a lot of credit.

Colo, Bassong, Jonas and Guthrie all bought in the Summer i imo all very good signings.

Really hope that whoever was responsible for those finding these players and signing them - assuming it was not Keegan - continues in their role of finding and recruiting players for the club, particularly with an unknown quantity like Kinnear in charge.

Yea i agree, IF it was Wise then he deserve a lot of credit.

I think it would have been Jimenez and Vetere.

Really impressed at how well we kept possession in the final 10 minutes where there came a 5 minute spell where we had 72% of the ball. For once we never looked like letting go of the lead.

After the opening goal it looked kinda worrying for a while as we kept dropping too deep in the defence. After 2nd goal it all safe and the players looked so confident on the ball and that last 5 mins ball possession stat looked great. Hope JK has learned a lesson not to go too defensive when leading from the Stoke game

Guthrie MOTM... worked his socks off.

Zog.. never saw the ball first half... good 2nd half

If they could finish though it would have been a very different result... they should have made so much more of the winning headers and 2nd ball after we lumped it..... always went to Pompey. Didn't see the 2nd half against Stoke so can't compare.

Confidence boys.. confidence.... and not subbing Martins until we really had too  :razz:

Stunning win. Shame we'll not win until we're next in 18th place again!! Thats the way its been going. Hopefully our painful habit of not building on good results doesn't happen next week......i reckon spurs are there for the taking. they dont get stuck in like wigan, stoke etc. All of a sudden, things are looking better. If West Ham lose by a couple today theyre 18th. West Brom are gonners and Blackburn are starting to get cut adrift (hoping they dont sack Ince). Three away clean sheets too! Marvellous win.

......still dont like Kinnear though!

For once, Kinnear got his subs right! And tbh I think Martins only went off because he looked like he had a knock. Shola was mint when he came on. ;D

I guess it was Oba who asked to be subbed off...because of the obvious injury of course

Great result, very happy with that, very happy with the back 4, very happy with our wingers, especially Zog who whilst may not be putting in the performnaces of his life but is proving a valuable outlet on the left with some good runs, seems to be cementing his place in the side which im very happy about. Up front we were good, the balance still isnt quite right, special mention to Guthrie who i think is absolutely excellent, he's a better version of Scotty Parker and i feel has a big fuiture ahead of him.

Guthrie seems to have really grown as the season has gone on, and last three games he's been outstanding. I thought after the first 10 mins we pretty much controlled the game. After taking the lead we did drop back, but the difference this game was that we broke with intent and passed the ball well once we broke up their attack. Massive three points and it will do wonders for the team's confidence...not to mention mine. Well done lads.

He just reminds me off Makelele at times, obviously nowhere near the same class but he's always at your feet, he regains possession really well, sits in good defensive positions and never gives the ball away, really retains possession well. He also retains posession well when going forward as well which in recent times has been a bit of a rarity.

Signing of the season so far for me, Jonas has been good as has Bassong but Guthrie has been consistently good and has shown up in some big games for us.

(Possibly over the top there but im very happy at the moment)  :cheesy:

He just reminds me off Makelele at times, obviously nowhere near the same class but he's always at your feet, he regains possession really well, sits in good defensive positions and never gives the ball away, really retains possession well. He also retains posession well when going forward as well which in recent times has been a bit of a rarity.

Signing of the season so far for me, Jonas has been good as has Bassong but Guthrie has been consistently good and has shown up in some big games for us.

(Possibly over the top there but im very happy at the moment)  :cheesy:

If we could sign someone like Lassana Diarra to complement Guthrie, we'd have such a strong, snappy, aggressive, consistent, ball retaining central midfield that we'd shoot up the table in no time. Add Barton to that mix in terms of adding someone with a bit of confidence to play the ball and attempt through balls, and we'd be sorted in central midfield in terms of aiming for a top 6 spot.

Given - 7

Beye - 7

Enrique - 8

Coloccini - 7

Bassong - 7

Gutierrez - 7

N'Zogbia - 6

Butt - 6

Guthrie - 8

Martins - 8 (Ameobi - 7)

Owen - 7

Can't really argue with that.

Yeah almost, I'd pop Bassong up to 8.

Given - 7

Beye - 7

Enrique - 8

Coloccini - 7

Bassong - 7

Gutierrez - 7

N'Zogbia - 6

Butt - 6

Guthrie - 8

Martins - 8 (Ameobi - 7)

Owen - 7

Can't really argue with that.

Other than perhaps Butt deserving of a 7 maybe...

Ower the knot. First half a bit shaky but different team altogether second 45. Thought Enrique had a shite first half to be honest but picked up fantastically after his saved effort and then in the second half.

Frustrates the fucking life out of you though how we can capitulate like we did last week against Stoke and then put in a performance, especially in defence, away against Portsmouth. As someone said earlier, the life and times of being a Newcastle fan!!

By the way I am SO gay for Honas :D