Portsmouth 0 - 3 Newcastle United - 14/12/08 - Post match jubilation from p20

Dave

Ecstatic at the win, thats what happens when you don't go all defensive when you're 0-1 up. Hope martins injury isn't serious but at least we have viduka as backup I guess. Colo and Bass' excellent, beye solid, jonas solid, guthrie MotM I heard, quality  :thup:

No match of the day is there? will be on monday...

Well done lads!

yeah.  10-10.50 (Top Gear being 9-10).

ah class!

Enrique was easily man of the match for mine.

Defensively he was brilliant, and offensively he was brilliant. Definitely the best game he's played for the club.

Hopefully no-one picks up any injuries during the week and we can play with the same starting XI against Spurs.

Kinnear is just as responsible for the first half performance as the second. Yeah the substitutions were woeful,

Nor is it the first time the "substitutions were woeful" - thats not learning from your mistakes.

True, but many managers of this club have done that before, including Keegan and Robson and it just doesn't work for us on the vast majority of occasions, it works at other clubs all the time, so I can see why they keep trying it, but not at NUFC. I think it's a psychological thing surrounding the whole club, the players, the fans, everyone, we just don't believe we can do it and therefore behave like it's a foregone conclusion, which of course usually means it is. Kinnear's had what, eleven games in charge? If he's still doing this at the end of the season and hasn't found a way to make it work then he'll have shown that he can't learn from his mistakes, just like all the other managers before him. However, if he stops doing it, or even better finds a way to make the tactic work, then he will have learned from them and it will be good for the club. How many people never make the same mistake twice? I can't say that I don't, can you?

Seems like he might have done (learned from it, that is). Hope so.

Great result, very happy with that, very happy with the back 4, very happy with our wingers, especially Zog who whilst may not be putting in the performnaces of his life but is proving a valuable outlet on the left with some good runs, seems to be cementing his place in the side which im very happy about. Up front we were good, the balance still isnt quite right, special mention to Guthrie who i think is absolutely excellent, he's a better version of Scotty Parker and i feel has a big fuiture ahead of him.

When we actually play properly and don't sit too deep after going in front, we hold onto leads relatively easily.

Against Villa after we scored they never looked in it, and today after we scored it's the same.

We've proven that we can hold onto leads extremely comfortably by playing possession football, so there's no reason for us to sit deep at all.

The defence simply has to stay as is, it's been absolutely fantastic.

Best defence we have had in years, Colo and Bassong seem to have a great understanding. Enrique aint no where near as bad as some suggest, he was class today. It refreshing seeing us defend so well.

3 clean sheets on the trot away from home, Chelsea, Boro and Portsmouth!!! If Spurs did that the papers would be calling them title challengers

Colo, Bassong, Jonas and Guthrie all bought in the Summer i imo all very good signings.

Great result, hope we build on it against Spurs.

lets hope they get those contracts sorted out and SOON.

Credit Enrique today, maybe still needs to pass foward better but his defensive work was spot on much better. Bassong again was fantastic he is so calm under pressure, sorry Tayls but your not taking that starting place back. Beye was class again to, and Colo solid no mistakes to mentuon did not get turned today. We need to keep em all fit its starting to look a proper defensive unit for a change

Had to laugh at Defoe he now falls over more than Heskey :D

Colo, Bassong, Jonas and Guthrie all bought in the Summer i imo all very good signings.

Really hope that whoever was responsible for those finding these players and signing them - assuming it was not Keegan - continues in their role of finding and recruiting players for the club, particularly with an unknown quantity like Kinnear in charge.