Wigan Athletic 2 - 1 Newcastle – 26/12/08 - Post-match reaction from page 23

midds

We've had an absolutely shit day today....and we're still 12th.  :crazy2:

Other results have certainly done us a favour today. Be a bit worrying if we get nowt from the Liverpool game, we'll be back down there again.

They're top of the League and flying. Anyone expecting a result against them is seriously deluded.

I'd take a point right now.

I'm expecting fuck all, man. :lol:  I predict that it'll be looking pretty scary on Sunday evening, but then we'll go and nick a win fairly quickly and pull away. Then lose and be down there again. Then win and pull away a bit. Then lose and be down there again. We'll be alright eventually like. Finding it increasingly difficult to get excited/devastated given our horrendous inconsistency.

Wasn't aimed at you chap.  :pow:

It'll be tight all the way imo. I'm still convinced we'll finish roughly about where we are now. Stoke and Bolton lost again. Hull, Boro and Portsmouth are on the slide. Sunderland's fixture list gets very scary soon too.

We had an awful day. Losing Enrique, Beye and Viduka. The referee had a shite game and Bassong got sent off..... And we still nearly got a point. I'm disappointed we didn't but we'll play worse and win games between now and May.

We'll be ok. :) 

It's ironic that it's taken a loss for me to finally come to that conclusion. Obvsiouly i'll change my mind if we go on a six game losing streak, or whatever, but we're just horribly inconsistent - that's all it is. Whatever happens, there's another win around the corner, or another loss around the corner. We should be fine in all honesty cos the quality in the squad will keep winning us the odd game.

Guest neesy111

we had 3 injuries

a patched up back 4

some stinking performances (i.e. viduka, owen, butt, duff)

a man sent off

4-5 major decisions against us

the goals we conceded both set-pieces as well

a lot to deal with there, so 2-1 defeat ain't too bad

How one game can ruin the optimism beginning to grow, lose 3 of the back 4 and by the look of things Viduka to injury aswell, for fuck sake. Fair play to Carroll for putting himself about a bit and Guthrie for actually giving a shit, everyone else was pretty poor. Hope Beye's injury isn't serious :(

we had 3 injuries

a patched up back 4

a man sent off

Shove your realism where it hurts man ;)

we had 3 injuries

a patched up back 4

a man sent off

There's no excuses when it comes to a club like Wigan, I don't care if people call me stupid or not but Wigan are a small time club who always aim for the draw hoping to nick a win. We should have done better today and this result shows that we are in desperate need of a central midfielder to keep Butt out.

we had 3 injuries

a patched up back 4

a man sent off

In spite of some of the shit where it went against us, that's where the loss stems from ultimately. Wigan were on top for a good while before they scored the first. We simply weren't good enough today; we've got away with a few draws but like Fulham and Sunderland, we deserved nowt and got nowt today. Nothing to cry yourself to sleep about though, another win isn't far away.

I'm more upset about the injuries.

how many matches have we won with zog at left back, any?  :thdn: it's just a bad idea to play him there...hell, should have swapped him and duff!  speaking of duff, i'm starting to suspect that the goal he scored to get us 3 pts was actually a mishit.  today we saw the true "quality"!  :thdn:

How one game can ruin the optimism beginning to grow, lose 3 of the back 4 and by the look of things Viduka to injury aswell, for f*** sake. Fair play to Carroll for putting himself about a bit and Guthrie for actually giving a s***, everyone else was pretty poor. Hope Beye's injury isn't serious :(

You should seriously thinking about changing you nick yet again!

With our luck...Beye's out for the rest of the season. If so...Dean and Cattermole should be shot!

How one game can ruin the optimism beginning to grow, lose 3 of the back 4 and by the look of things Viduka to injury aswell, for f*** sake. Fair play to Carroll for putting himself about a bit and Guthrie for actually giving a s***, everyone else was pretty poor. Hope Beye's injury isn't serious :(

With our luck...Beye's out for the rest of the season. If so...Dean and Cattermole should be shot!

Was Beye really that hurt?

we had 3 injuries

a patched up back 4

a man sent off

There's no excuses when it comes to a club like Wigan, I don't care if people call me stupid or not but Wigan are a small time club who always aim for the draw hoping to nick a win. We should have done better today and this result shows that we are in desperate need of a central midfielder to keep Butt out.

i just can't understand how they've been our kryptonite like.  is this how spurs fans feel!?  :sadnod:

Was Beye really that hurt?

Looked pretty knackered like, got to say. :undecided:

What did people think of Carroll's cameo? He did well I thought.

First time I've ever found him promising. Looks to have bulked up a bit more.

Could be coached to be better than Ameobi at what Ameobi was doing earlier this season imo.

Cattermole is more of a cunt than the ref, he's done Barton and Beye now.

i could only watch from minute 52 on... how did beye get done by c-mole?

Couldnt really tell if he went in over the ball but he's gone through Beye and done his ankle by the looks of things. Beye looked fucked when he went off.

Given - 6 World Class apart from (Ryan) Taylorgate.

Beye - 6 RIP

Colo - 6 solid

Bassong - 6 solid as well

Zog - 5 defensive 2 balanced out by attacking 8

Jonas - 5 rare off day but still worked hard

Butt - 2 Total Shite

Guthrie - 6.5 Everything Butt isn't and so much more.

Duff - 3 Not many get burned by Mario Melchiot

Owen - 3 Woefully ineffective

Viduka - 3 Worse

Taylor - 6 Solid

Carroll - 8 Brave, energetic and committed.

Guest firetotheworks

Beye looked in a fair amount of pain, they brought oxygen on but Im not sure if he had any. Stretchered off after 5 minutes down. Didnt look good.

Seems that we're suffereing from a small club big club mentalilty. We didnt deserve anything that game, but fuck me they have a good first team, noticed that we didnt close down as well as they did, they were more more motivatred than us.

We're yet to lose a game from a goal scored in open play if i rememebr correctly.

I thought that Bassong was good, Zog was suffering at LB (no surpirse) , Guthrie had some good moments as did Jonas, but that was it.

Guest firetotheworks

I see Jonas being given 6's and 7's all around. He was quite s*** tbh, and that is an understatement.

Our best players were Viduka and Guthrie (who incidentally had a woeful first half, and only saved face with a terrific 2nd half)

;D Its funny because its false.