West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/oliver-holt/Oliver-Holt-s-Chelsea-0-1-Liverpool-verdict-Romantics-rejoice-as-Fernando-Torres-fails-to-find-any-chemistry-with-new-love-article692691.html

It did not feel right that Chelsea should lose yesterday but there was something sweet about the fact that Fernando Torres did.

The enemy of romance in football found himself on the wrong end of a beating from underdogs who just happen to have won the European Cup and the Champions League five more times than he has.

The £50m striker with the dead soul was beaten by a team fashioned by a manager who has more feeling for his football club than Torres will ever have.

The man who jumped ship because he couldn't wait to start stacking up the trophies with a big club saw the big club defeated by the side he had just deserted.

Will there be a similar intro to his article after Carroll's first game?  :undecided:

I think not.  :rolleyes:

It did not feel right that Chelsea should lose yesterday but there was something sweet about the fact that Fernando Torres did.

The enemy of romance in football found himself on the wrong end of a beating from underdogs who just happen to have won the European Cup and the Champions League five more times than he has.

The £50m striker with the dead soul was beaten by a team fashioned by a manager who has more feeling for his football club than Torres will ever have.

The man who jumped ship because he couldn't wait to start stacking up the trophies with a big club saw the big club defeated by the side he had just deserted.

:lol:  ... Yeah, I think we get it already!

Well, it's taken me a week to read through the 250+ pages this transfer generated. I voted "split" when the thread title still read "transfer request" and after a week of reading every post and most of the links, I'm still split on blame for Ashley and Carroll. As many have said, it's a rum business where we are the real (and only) losers...

Someone said 20 odd pages ago that this thread (with its outrage, fanciful theories and depression) helped get over the sense of loss. I agree - it's been cathartic, and I've exhausted my most volatile emotions. Now all I wish for is Mike Ashley to fuck off out of our club and for Andy Carroll to have a serious training ground fight with Gerrard...

PS That Glenn Roeder quote was comedy gold! :lol:

Tino.....

Newcastle are very lucky to get that deal....

“It’s a great deal for them.

“He was a great player for them but maybe Newcastle can buy three or even four Andy Carrolls.” ;D

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/02/09/united-had-to-accept-35m-for-carroll-tino-72703-28140529/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1DTHjSV5A

I mean to slag of saying how can they sold him and everything is insane.  For 35 million we should have have said Thank you and so long easily. 

It was not a good decision in anyway though.

Apart from the timing it is great decision...... but only the timing inflate the price as well so you can not complain about it greatly.....

Guest TheSummerOf69

You could all be right, but at the rate Carroll has been developing he could be the outstanding all-round target man for England for the next decade. He's almost untouchable in the air, good on the deck and improving all the time, has a great work rate and gets up and down the pitch to help out in defence really well... This could bite us on the bum over and over again.

I think it's more likely that he'll be a runaway success for Liverpool TBH. Doesn't mean he was worth £35m, but I don't think we should kid ourselves he won't be brilliant for them.

The only questions marks are his injury and his off-field behaviour.

I mean to slag of saying how can they sold him and everything is insane.  For 35 million we should have have said Thank you and so long easily. 

It was not a good decision in anyway though.

Apart from the timing it is great decision...... but only the timing inflate the price as well so you can not complain about it greatly.....

No and yes.

You could all be right, but at the rate Carroll has been developing he could be the outstanding all-round target man for England for the next decade. He's almost untouchable in the air, good on the deck and improving all the time, has a great work rate and gets up and down the pitch to help out in defence really well... This could bite us on the bum over and over again.

It might well, especially as AC has so many years ahead of him. There is clearly a risk with Carroll from Liverpool's point of view though. He isn't the finished article and is still very raw. He might not settle at Anfield, he might simply not develope as a player, he might be constantly injured etc. £35M was a staggering price for a player at that stage in his career.

Although they aren't totally the same type of scenario think about Spurs selling Carrick and Berbatov for £50 million. Both were more proven players than AC. Michael Carrick hasn't  really looked the part very often at ManU so surely most people would say that was excellent business for Spurs. Berbatov on the other hand is unarguably one of the best strikers in the Premiership but I would doubt that Spurs have any regrets on cashing in on him either. Sometimes there's a deal you can't ignore. And before anyone jumps in I am of course assuming that, like Spurs, we make good use of the money on our squad.

... I am of course assuming that, like Spurs, we make good use of the money on our squad.

Bingo!

Well yes that has to be assumed before you can judge whether it was a good deal for us or not. If Ashley uses the money to fund our losses or reduce his loan or in some way we end up pissing it up against a wall, then there isn't any real debate on the value of the deal is there? 

... I am of course assuming that, like Spurs, we make good use of the money on our squad.

Bingo!

Well yes that has to be assumed before you can judge whether it was a good deal for us or not. If Ashley uses the money to fund our losses or reduce his loan or in some way we end up pissing it up against a wall, then there isn't any real debate on the value of the deal is there? 

I wouldn't say funding our losses or paying off debts is the same as 'pissing it up against a wall'. But I get what you're saying.

Bingo!

I wouldn't say funding our losses or paying off debts is the same as 'pissing it up against a wall'. But I get what you're saying.

Pissing it up against a wall as in spending poorly on the squad. So all 3 possibilities end up with the squad being no stronger.

Bingo!

Pissing it up against a wall as in spending poorly on the squad. So all 3 possibilities end up with the squad being no stronger.

Yeah I know, all I meant was that covering our losses and paying off our debts is a valid way to spend money. It doesn't make the team better, obviously.

Bingo!

Yeah I know, all I meant was that covering our losses and paying off our debts is a valid way to spend money. It doesn't make the team better, obviously.

I can't see that being a widely held view tbh.

Bingo!

I can't see that being a widely held view tbh.

Neither can I mate!

Obviously there's a balance to be struck between doing well on the pitch and building the future of the club. That's the art of running a football club, not many people get it right.