West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Er, well his was perfectly at diving feet height too. :lol:

I wasn't saying his wasn't, that was just a continuation of the conversation. Still don't think it was a particularly bad penalty though. If it had gone in no-one would have been calling it a fluke or lucky, put it that way.

Other than missing the goal completely, I'm not sure how he could have given the goalkeeper a better chance. Even the power with which he hit it helped Turnbull; softer and the keeper may have dived out of the way in time.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Nah loads of keepers go early.

You can see them man, twitchers!

Get good power down the middle and you can get it in - a lot of the time it will even deflect of his legs and hit the roof,

New forum policy: childishly shoehorning lol into thread titles where appropriate  :lol:

Nile Ranger to join Barnsley on two-month lol

Fabricio Cololcini

Rofl-istic Transfer Targets JANUARY 2012

Lol Liga 11/12

LMAO at Lawro

......make it happen!

Guest Haris Vuckic

It's more reliant on the keeper - lots of power straight down the middle, a lot of keepers leap for a corner. Goes in quiet a lot.

Normally a failed version looks like Michael Owens vs Craig Gordan in the 2-0 Derby.

Just a fraction higher and it was in.

But it wasn't a fraction higher. So it was a bad penalty.

Even a fraction higher and it's a bad penalty, it's just lucky that it goes in off the 'keeper's legs.

If you're hitting a penalty down the middle, get it completely out of the goalkeeper's way. If he stands still, it's going to hit him whatever height it's at, so you're banking on him moving which means you have to hit it high. And by high I mean AT LEAST above half-way up the goal. Anything else is asking for trouble and is, therefore, a shit penalty.

So yeah, shit pen Andy.

Guest bimpy474

'IF he stands still', how many keepers just stand there on a penalty? :lol:

Ron Atkinson always told his keepers to stay still, he reckoned especially in penalty shootouts that at least 2 always go down the middle.

It's more reliant on the keeper - lots of power straight down the middle, a lot of keepers leap for a corner. Goes in quiet a lot.

Normally a failed version looks like Michael Owens vs Craig Gordan in the 2-0 Derby.

Just had a look at that one, Owen didn't hit it as straight as Carroll did tonight, and hit it lower. Gordon actually went the right way btw. :laugh:

'IF he stands still', how many keepers just stand there on a penalty? :lol:

If you're quoting me, and I guess you are, then all I was pointing out was that if as a penalty taker you're hitting it down the middle, the only thing that should concern you is what height the GK will be able to save it at if he dives out the way.

You can't factor in what height he'll save it at if he stands still as he'll save it whatever height it's at, so you need to be thinking about getting it over his legs. This means hitting it into the top half of the net. Not doing so is gross incomptence really, you're banking on the GK diving but still hitting it at a saveable height. Hitting it harder is also a bad idea, as you're giving him less time to dive out the way.

The best option if you do go down the middle is to hit it high and not too hard. Maximum chance of it being above the GK's legs and maximum chance that he's completed his dive and is fully out of the way.

Hard and low down the middle is fucking atrocious and shows a terrible lack of mental capacity and planning. Either that or you've tried something completely different and you're so shit at striking a stationary football that it's ended up in completely the wrong part of the goal. Either way, you should never be allowed to take another penalty for the rest of your career for being an utter buffoon.

Guest Haris Vuckic

But Owen scored, so he didn't fail. :razz:

I just think Carroll's effort was rubbish. Showed a complete lack of technique, deftness and skill.

Aye perhaps I'm defending the tactic more than anything, because it works.

CaROFL