West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Stephen927

Clever from him and you can see the intention with Sundays game so close. Won't knock Cole off his stride though.

:crazy2:

What?

Regarding the comment about him being one paced, I certainley thought that of him last season, but from what I've seen this season he seems to have a few gears, and to me he seems quicker than last season.

Against Sunderland when he picked the ball up in his own half and turned and run at the defence he seemed to chance to a quicker pace for me. Okay he is not lightening but for a guy his size he moves very well and that has improved this season compared to last.

Regarding the comment about him being one paced, I certainley thought that of him last season, but from what I've seen this season he seems to have a few gears, and to me he seems quicker than last season.

Against Sunderland when he picked the ball up in his own half and turned and run at the defence he seemed to chance to a quicker pace for me. Okay he is not lightening but for a guy his size he moves very well and that has improved this season compared to last.

I've been saying this since the Rangers pre-season friendly. He looks a hell of a lot quicker this year compared to last.

Guest guinness_fiend

I'm being genuine here with my opinions - I can't for the life of me see anything in him to suggest he's going to be anything other than your typical average Premier League centre-forward in the same kind of mould as Kevin Davies at Bolton or dare I say it Emile Heskey. Carroll's positioning in terms of goalscoring is often very poor and while he's obviously good in the air and quite strong, his first touch lets him down and he's quite one paced too. He'll cause problems and get himself 10 goals or so in this division but talk of becoming top-class and so on just doesn't weigh true for me whenever I see him or assess his attributes. He's doing well mind, better than expected  and has time to improve of course but I honestly don't see a top-class centre-forward in him, much less a goalscorer.

Well, thankfully for Andy Carroll, and the rest of us, you have an utterly tremendous record of being wrong.

:lol:

Can't quite see him going from a goal every two games to a goal every 5.5 games myself. The goals might dry up but not to that extent - even if we're playing like shit he'll get opportunities from crosses and set pieces because of his sheer height and aerial ability.

His improvement in the last year or so has been nothing short of phenomenal, and I think Hughton and the coaching staff deserve a lot of credit for that as well as the player. He might not end up being truly top class but it's bonkers to complain about that, especially considering that if he does he'll probably end up playing for a club that isn't NUFC.

:thup: spot on

Guest firetotheworks

Imagine if he was at another club. We'd all be in agreement that he'd never come here/that we couldn't afford him. His improvement has been crackers.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-andy-carroll-has-improved-tremendously-

‘Andy Carroll has improved tremendously’

By Giuseppe Muro

Arsène Wenger has hailed the rapid progress of in-form Newcastle striker Andy Carroll.

In his first full season in the Premier League the 21-year-old has been a huge hit. His all-round play and five league goals have prompted suggestions he is in the frame for a call up to Fabio Capello’s England squad, and the Arsenal manager isn’t surprised.

“Personally, I have been highly impressed by him. He has presence, charisma, confidence,” said Wenger. “He is intelligent on the ball. I had doubts about him when I saw him one year ago but in the last year he has improved tremendously.

"He has to show it over a longer distance but I'm convinced Capello will have a look at him. I believe he will be good enough to play for England.”

And what does the Frenchman put this improvement down to?

“Attitude, and by that I mean motivation, and intelligence are the two main things I see personally. When you are not highly motivated and not very intelligent your potential to improve is very limited.”

He's just making sure Carroll doesn't score on Sunday. Which he won't now Wenger has praised him.

If we also get the 'Newcastle are a good footballing team, deserve to be in this league etc...' then it's pretty much the kiss of death :laugh:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1325726/Andy-Carroll-Englands-spearhead-10-years.html

I've not been as excited about a centre forward since going to watch Southampton versus Arsenal at The Dell when I was 14. Alan Shearer scored a hat-trick on his debut that day

This was the stand out quote for me:

John Fashanu is another player who stands out from memory. He once lined up for a corner behind me and said: 'This is Fash's space', before smashing me when the ball came over. Before a match, he would warm up in the tunnel in full view of everyone with his body oiled, practising his karate moves, trying to scare opponents. It often worked!

Probably shouting 'AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGAAAAAAA' at the same time.  I'd s*** my pants as well.

:lol:

Unfortunately what Jamie Redkanpp knows about football can be written on his wife's snatch.