West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest kingdawson

Don't see you ever being better than Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal & Chelsea which is why I reckon you'll never be more than a team which flirts with 4th.

Ok so you say Newcastle is at 60%. What is Newcastle United FC at 100% according to you?

Don't see you ever being better than Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal & Chelsea which is why I reckon you'll never be more than a team which flirts with 4th.

Ok so you say Newcastle is at 60%. What is Newcastle United FC at 100% according to you?

Winning the World Cup.

it would be a disaster if we sold him...hard to replace, sending the the wrong message to squad and fans etc.

...but im 100% sure he doesn´t want to leave the next 2-3 years...IF...he is a first regular and the club progresses steadily.....he is playing for his beloved club like shearer!

....if ashley is offered 30 mill + ....then i dont know what will happen...it is a lot of money!

HE WILL NOT LEAVE

Honestly though, I don't want to sell him at any price. I know it doesn't work like that ('You'd be mental to turn that down!' etc) but even if the money was to go back into the squad, we wouldn't be improving. If Carroll is worth silly money then as the ones who brought him through it's us that need to feel the benefit of a silly money player. I don't want a cash reward, or any other player(s) in his place. :undecided:

Football is a business, but fuck that I'm a fan and I'm sentimental. Newcastle's new #9 is a Newcastle lad and he's starting to look bloody good. Let's not sell him.

:clap2:

Everybody has a price at the right time in the right situation.  But this is none of those.  There is no compelling reason to sell as we're in a relatively decent financial position.  Spurs are doing better than us now but are not historically a 'bigger' club.  There is no reason we can't replicate what Spurs have done over the next 5 years if we make the right decisions - and the first right decision is to keep Andy Carroll. 

This isn't Man Utd or Barcelona.  It's Spurs.  There is a massive, massive difference.

I'd say it's probably on the same par as Spurs at 100%.  Flirting with 4th in the current climate.

Guest GeordieBatistuta

Is Carroll still living with Nolan? Because if so wouldn't the courts have something to say in the hopefully unlikely event that he signed for spurs?

Is Carroll still living with Nolan? Because if so wouldn't the courts have something to say in the hopefully unlikely event that he signed for spurs?

Why? He could live with Ledley King then. :lol:

Don't think he's living with Nolan anymore anyway.

Honestly though, I don't want to sell him at any price. I know it doesn't work like that ('You'd be mental to turn that down!' etc) but even if the money was to go back into the squad, we wouldn't be improving. If Carroll is worth silly money then as the ones who brought him through it's us that need to feel the benefit of a silly money player. I don't want a cash reward, or any other player(s) in his place. :undecided:

Football is a business, but f*** that I'm a fan and I'm sentimental. Newcastle's new #9 is a Newcastle lad and he's starting to look bloody good. Let's not sell him.

I can definitely understand the sentiment and that is unquantifiable but why would we not improve if we got a more complete striker and use the money to get 1-2 more players?

Guest GeordieBatistuta

We probably could, but I think Carroll embodies the hope that top class players can continue to ply their trade at St James.

Thing is, even if we did get 30 mill for Carroll - I dont know whether many 20 million pound strikers and their wages would want to come to Newcastle

Totally depends on his ambition and the clubs ambition aligning.

That's true, but generally speaking I believe Carroll wants to play for Newcastle and therefore it's about what the club do. His opinion will soon change if they decide he's there to be flogged at the first chance. People keep saying that he could dig his heels in but this hardly ever happens. If the club even entertain bids for him then their complete and utter lack of ambition is exposed, and that will change his own.

It is down to the clubs actions to a certain extent but also his patience and MA/DL/AP's (madlap?) ability to keep his ego in check.

If he says he wants to be winning things now/very soon ... we've no chance - Mike wouldn't operate in the manner needed to change the club like that immediately for anyone, muchless someone he can silence by selling for 30m (a realistic price if he keeps improving tbh).

If he's content to be earnestly competing in cup competitions and fighting for European places ... that's a goal he and the club can work towards and accomplish during his prime.

I agree he genuinely wants to play for us but I also think his head will be turned very easily if "safety" is as high as we aim.

I'd say it's probably on the same par as Spurs at 100%.  Flirting with 4th in the current climate.

Yep. Where we were 2001-3. Challenging top 4 with good Cup runs.

Yep. Where we were 2001-3. Challenging top 4 with good Cup runs.

Don't really think this % talk makes much sense. I can see what you're trying to say but progress is perpetual, is it not? 100% for EFC in my mind is being where Barcelona are at the moment. I know there is close to zero chance of that happening in the next 10-20 years but that's my view of 100%. Realistically, pushing for the top 4 is where I can see our 'maximum' position being in the foreseeable future.

Why? He could live with Ledley King then. :lol:

Don't think he's living with Nolan anymore anyway.

OMG! Quick! Someone get the courts after him!

:frantic:

Guest Wearside

£30m would be an unbelievable deal if true,no chance is he worth that much on the back of one good half a season.

Guest The_Optimistic

£30m would be an unbelievable deal if true,no chance is he worth that much on the back of one good half a season.

Well if we go down on the back of selling for 30mill then its not a good deal

We won't go down if that 30M is reinvested back into the team, especially now with Barfa back from March onwards

We won't go down if that 30M is reinvested back into the team, especially now with Barfa back from March onwards

Well I think we would run a significant risk of it.

Obviously we wouldn't spend the XXm (we'll say 30) on a replacement for Carroll having just sold him for that amount. So take half (15m) and get a replacement striker as well as some much needed cover in LB, DM and RM (presuming we could even strengthen that much in the January window) and hope they work out in the 4-4-1-1. A clear gamble. I'd be willing to bet anything we'd not get in someone as good as Andy to fit the current system. Results would suffer and goals would suffer. Ameobi/Best/Ranger aren't up for it.

Or ditch that system and get in players to fit a new system while adapting the existing players to it. That will almost certainly take a while and results would suffer in the interim. And it's doubtful we could get that many in in January.

Regardless of the amount, this would be a horrible, horrible time to sell him (if he's getting sold) imo because of what filling his absence means right now. IF he has to go it has to be the summer so the team can adjust with less pressure.