West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest neesy111

Those quotes still don't explain why he handed in a transfer request. It sounded like he didn't want to do it, why did he suddenly agree to this imaginary plan?

Is their a mysterious third party acting as Dark Forces.

In my career, I would obviously jump at the chance to move anywhere for a massive wage increase.

But then I'm not playing up front for Newcastle Utd after supporting them all my life. I can't decided whether that makes enough of a difference that I can understand Carroll taking the money.

I think this situation is worse though, because we thought Carroll understood how important NUFC was to the fans and he loved the club himself.

Yep, he was supposed to get it. To understand what it meant to wear the number nine. Shearer was his hero! He doesn't have a fraction of the loyalty Al had.

Piss off man. Shearer milked us far worse and was a busted flush who didn't have any other interested suitors after he came here. He was Kevin Nolan playing up front by the time he got here.

Fuck off :lol:

You're understanding of history is flawed due to inexperience. Come back in 10 years and we can talk.

You're only naive if you believe those who've lied to us on a number of occasions, including last month through Pardew.

If you can explain how they got him to hand in a transfer request, I'll agree with you.

In my career, I would obviously jump at the chance to move anywhere for a massive wage increase.

But then I'm not playing up front for Newcastle Utd after supporting them all my life. I can't decided whether that makes enough of a difference that I can understand Carroll taking the money.

Genuinely don't think I'd even consider a move away from NUFC if I was playing for us. Honestly, not even to triple 40k a week wages.

Can you think of any reason he would have submitted a transfer request though heza?

Not after all the other PR, but I guess money talks...

Still not sure this is what has happened though, an none of the fans will ever know, so I think it's best to leave this one unresolved and sit on the fence.

Genuinely don't think I'd even consider a move away from NUFC if I was playing for us. Honestly, not even to triple 40k a week wages.

I'm leaning towards that myself, although I guess £40k a week must start to seem normal after a while - as mad as that sounds to ordinary people.

Guest firetotheworks

I think everyone's aware that we're just one of the dozens of clubs who mostly populate the lower ranks of the Premiership, occasionally piece together a jammy European run, and provide talent for the 5~6 teams at the top.

No need to over-dramatize it, that's just what most Premiership clubs are right now.

We shouldn't be, that's the point. Our ambition should match our size, income and fanbase. We're a team that should always be aiming to be the very best that it can be. We're no different to any other team, except that our income, fanbase and size should put us near the top 1/3rd of the league. Obviously it's not an ideal world, and Abramovich has changed all of that, but we should be looking to be a progressive, aspiring and ambitious club. Anyone getting their hands on us would have an absolute goldmine of potential success, adulation, undying loyalty, income and undoubted fun. We get called deluded, but f*** it, I've lived elsewhere, in this country and abroad, and I have never come across anywhere remotely like Newcastle when it comes to just how much football means to a city and it's people. Don't tell me not to over-dramatise it, we're Newcastle United, we're not f***ing Blackburn. Thanks.

It's not really about the first team squad or gate receipts anymore. It's all about brand value. You need to be one of those clubs where the media and just the general footballing culture will hype you up as one of the "big boys."

No matter what our relative league positions are, Liverpool FC will always be a more attractive proposition than NUFC assuming that we are in the same division.

Like I said, brand value. There is a cultural glass ceiling at the top of the Premiership that is far more resilient than any gap in financial capabilities. Due to the fact that we acted like f***ing idiots precisely at the moment when it was being defined, we're firmly on the wrong side of it.

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. You're basically saying that nothing will ever change, despite Spurs and Man City changing that, albeit in Man City's case, artificially. Both now have brand value, there's no reason why we couldn't bring the advancement needed to bring brand value. In Sky's eyes, we're still classed as being a big club, because they built us up to be that way. Aspiring to, and getting into the CL for example would bring that back just as quickly as it did for us when we were there, just as quickly as it left both us and Leeds. I'm not saying that's realistic in the foreseeable future, I'm just saying that there is so much potential for that type of situation coming about quite quickly with the right investment, but the point being that there is more potential than probably the entire league bar the top 5, which coincidentally is exactly where we should be aiming to reside in, in the long-term, no matter how ridiculous it seems right now.

fwiw I obviously don't think for a second that Alan Pardew or Mike fucking Ashley would be involved in this type of scenario.

I'm leaning towards that myself, although I guess £40k a week must start to seem normal after a while - as mad as that sounds to ordinary people.

I was talking to wor fatha today about it, he was saying I'd have done exactly the same thing as AC. Genuinely don't think I would  :undecided:

Like most things, the truth is probably somewhere in between.

Ashley probably did make an "executive decision" that the offer was too good to refuse.

But I highly doubt that Carroll had to be dragged kicking and screaming to Merseyside once he saw the figures on his shiny new contract.

Either way you'd be set for life. If I was in Carroll's shoes I would never leave the club I love. Will always have massive respect for the likes of Le Tiss for staying loyal and living the dream.

I was talking to wor fatha today about it, he was saying I'd have done exactly the same thing as AC. Genuinely don't think I would  :undecided:

But we're NUFC soopafans. It's obvious, after today's events, that Carroll isn't (despite what he was saying).

I think this situation is worse though, because we thought Carroll understood how important NUFC was to the fans and he loved the club himself.

Yep, he was supposed to get it. To understand what it meant to wear the number nine. Shearer was his hero! He doesn't have a fraction of the loyalty Al had.

Piss off man. Shearer milked us far worse and was a busted flush who didn't have any other interested suitors after he came here. He was Kevin Nolan playing up front by the time he got here.

f*** off :lol:

You're understanding of history is flawed due to inexperience. Come back in 10 years and we can talk.

:lol:

Are you taking the piss?

When Shearer signed for us he was one of the best strikers in the world you clueless idiot.

Guest neesy111

If I was playing for my home town club as the number 9, money would be secondary to what i was doing.  Professional Sportsman are in sport to be the best, if they are in it for the money only then their reasons are wrong.

Blackburn won the league, they're a nothing club now. Leeds were on the verge of the Champions League, they suffered successive relegations. Blackpool were unheard of, they're one of the most compelling teams in the league at the moment. Chelsea were firmly second-rate before Abramovich.

Everything in football can change, and very quickly. Obviously it depends on money, but that's a question of spending power rather than 'brand value'.

You're only naive if you believe those who've lied to us on a number of occasions, including last month through Pardew.

If you can explain how they got him to hand in a transfer request, I'll agree with you.

Any number of incentives or threats. It goes against every instinct I have that he suddenly decided he wanted to leave on the last day of Janurary after a massive offer was made.

I think everyone's aware that we're just one of the dozens of clubs who mostly populate the lower ranks of the Premiership, occasionally piece together a jammy European run, and provide talent for the 5~6 teams at the top.

No need to over-dramatize it, that's just what most Premiership clubs are right now.

We shouldn't be, that's the point. Our ambition should match our size, income and fanbase. We're a team that should always be aiming to be the very best that it can be. We're no different to any other team, except that our income, fanbase and size should put us near the top 1/3rd of the league. Obviously it's not an ideal world, and Abramovich has changed all of that, but we should be looking to be a progressive, aspiring and ambitious club. Anyone getting their hands on us would have an absolute goldmine of potential success, adulation, undying loyalty, income and undoubted fun. We get called deluded, but f*** it, I've lived elsewhere, in this country and abroad, and I have never come across anywhere remotely like Newcastle when it comes to just how much football means to a city and it's people. Don't tell me not to over-dramatise it, we're Newcastle United, we're not f***ing Blackburn. Thanks.

It's not really about the first team squad or gate receipts anymore. It's all about brand value. You need to be one of those clubs where the media and just the general footballing culture will hype you up as one of the "big boys."

No matter what our relative league positions are, Liverpool FC will always be a more attractive proposition than NUFC assuming that we are in the same division.

Like I said, brand value. There is a cultural glass ceiling at the top of the Premiership that is far more resilient than any gap in financial capabilities. Due to the fact that we acted like f***ing idiots precisely at the moment when it was being defined, we're firmly on the wrong side of it.

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. You're basically saying that nothing will ever change, despite Spurs and Man City changing that, albeit in Man City's case, artificially. Both now have brand value, there's no reason why we couldn't bring the advancement needed to bring brand value. In Sky's eyes, we're still classed as being a big club, because they built us up to be that way. Aspiring to, and getting into the CL for example would bring that back just as quickly as it did for us when we were there, just as quickly as it left both us and Leeds. I'm not saying that's realistic in the foreseeable future, I'm just saying that there is so much potential for that type of situation coming about quite quickly with the right investment, but the point being that there is more potential than probably the entire league bar the top 5, which coincidentally is exactly where we should be aiming to reside in, in the long-term, no matter how ridiculous it seems right now.

fwiw I obviously don't think for a second that Alan Pardew or Mike f***ing Ashley would be involved in this type of scenario.

If anything Man City is the perfect example. They have spent arbitrarily large sums of money and courted the world's best players, yet they STILL probably have less pulling power than Liverpool who probably won't be in the Champions League for at least a couple of years.

As for Spurs, they won't make the Champions League next year, sell some of their best players, and end up right back where they started. Theirs is just a slightly extended version of the "jammy European run" I mentioned.

did you ask him why he'd put in a transfer request when he didn't want to move and the club was willing to pay over the odds ?