West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

You're only naive if you believe those who've lied to us on a number of occasions, including last month through Pardew.

If you can explain how they got him to hand in a transfer request, I'll agree with you.

Any number of incentives or threats. It goes against every instinct I have that he suddenly decided he wanted to leave on the last day of Janurary after a massive offer was made.

Absolutely  :thup:

I seriously don't give a crap about how it went down, I'm just disappointed that he's gone but I guess it was always going to happen when silly money was put on the table.

Indulging the conspiracy therorist for a bit I think it was pretty simple situation. Liverpool want to buy, talk to Newcastle get a feeling for how much money it will take, talk to Carroll's agent feel out the situation see if there's interest and what sort of salary they would need to pay. Liverpool make a bid, Newcastle reject it, probably citing Carroll will be due a cut of it. Liverpool speak to his agent, work out some sort of deal to pay the Loyalty bonus or tell him no further bid will be made and if he wants to move then it'll be up to him to force the matter. Bingo transfer request is tabled and off we go.

From Carroll's point of view, he would be at least tripling his current salary, along with a hefty signing on fee. Yes he loves NUFC, he's a Geordie and always will most probably but he also realises that it's a short career and the ownership and management of the club is volatile to say the least.

It's easy for us to call him an un loyal, money grabbing so and so, but if we were all in his position we would be foolish not to at least consider the opportunity set ourselves up for life with financial secruity and capitalise on our reputation. I'm not saying I would leave NUFC too, in his position, but I would certainly think about the money I would be turning down to show loyalty to one of the worst owners in English football. 

Guest neesy111

You're only naive if you believe those who've lied to us on a number of occasions, including last month through Pardew.

If you can explain how they got him to hand in a transfer request, I'll agree with you.

Any number of incentives or threats. It goes against every instinct I have that he suddenly decided he wanted to leave on the last day of Janurary after a massive offer was made.

No one can force a player to hand in a written transfer request though and he could easily have said No.

If I was playing for my home town club as the number 9, money would be secondary to what i was doing.  Professional Sportsman are in sport to be the best, if they are in it for the money only then their reasons are wrong.

Professional footballers are rarely even proper fans as they've been playing for years and haven't had the chance to become a supporter.  Very few, if any, will care for the club in a way that we do.

Are you suggesting they bribed him to put in a transfer request? Or Liverpool bunged him a backhander?

He could have still ended up at Liverpool anyway, if Ashley desperately wanted to sell him all he had to do was say "OK, I'd rather stay but if you don't want me I'll leave".

There's nothing that I can think of that would persuade him to do it, especially if he loves the club as much as he says he does.

There's no reason why the club would go out of their way to deflect the blame either. The fans hate the board anyway.

I think this situation is worse though, because we thought Carroll understood how important NUFC was to the fans and he loved the club himself.

Yep, he was supposed to get it. To understand what it meant to wear the number nine. Shearer was his hero! He doesn't have a fraction of the loyalty Al had.

Piss off man. Shearer milked us far worse and was a busted flush who didn't have any other interested suitors after he came here. He was Kevin Nolan playing up front by the time he got here.

f*** off :lol:

You're understanding of history is flawed due to inexperience. Come back in 10 years and we can talk.

:lol:

Are you taking the piss?

When Shearer signed for us he was one of the best strikers in the world you clueless idiot.

What was he after he signed for us?

No one can force a player to hand in a written transfer request though and he could easily have said No.

I never said 'force'. There's blame on both sides.

I think this situation is worse though, because we thought Carroll understood how important NUFC was to the fans and he loved the club himself.

Yep, he was supposed to get it. To understand what it meant to wear the number nine. Shearer was his hero! He doesn't have a fraction of the loyalty Al had.

Piss off man. Shearer milked us far worse and was a busted flush who didn't have any other interested suitors after he came here. He was Kevin Nolan playing up front by the time he got here.

You're understanding of history is flawed due to inexperience. Come back in 10 years and we can talk.

Are you taking the piss?

When Shearer signed for us he was one of the best strikers in the world you clueless idiot.

Shearer had just scored something like 40 goals in a season for Blackburn in all competitions the season before. Tron is either an idiot or fishing.

Guest neesy111

Carroll could have thought as well that Liverpool meant serious business with a huge bid for him and thus know big wages with that.

If I was playing for my home town club as the number 9, money would be secondary to what i was doing.  Professional Sportsman are in sport to be the best, if they are in it for the money only then their reasons are wrong.

Professional footballers are rarely even proper fans as they've been playing for years and haven't had the chance to become a supporter.  Very few, if any, will care for the club in a way that we do.

so very true, yet many a supporter falls for the "player as fan" routine.

Are you taking the piss?

What was he after he signed for us?

A world class centre forward until that day at Everton in pre season.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

As a loyal Nufc fan for many a year I am disgusted by Andy Carroll and his decision to leave Nufc. His move just proves that he was just another player who only cared for the name on the back of his shirt rather than the more important name on the front of it.........Newcastle United Football Club. As far as i'm concerned the money graber is welcome to his move..... Nufc til I die

Here's a pic taken from tonight's medical "Andy moneybags Carroll" is gone.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h74/hhhhhh_01/Picture2.png

Guest firetotheworks

Is there a possibility that there wasn't even a transfer request? As crackers as it sounds, there's very little I'd put past them.

A very good point. I hadn't really even thought about it like that. Most of the lads I know that are actually decent at football (to a reasonably high level, trials for clubs or even just playing for county etc) actually don't give much of a hoot about supporting a team or taking an interest in football in general. It's all the people with two left feet and browse internet forums that seem to actually take a real interest in the game and supporting a team  :laugh:

Guest neesy111

NUFC.com with their typical biased view on the whole saga.  I hope they enjoyed their gentleman's meeting at the NUST AGM tonight.

Is there a possibility that there wasn't even a transfer request? As crackers as it sounds, there's very little I'd put past them.

I wouldn't be surprised, the offer rejected, transfer request, offer accept sequence of events happened (or were reported/ leaked to the media) within a very short space of time.

Blackburn won the league, they're a nothing club now. Leeds were on the verge of the Champions League, they suffered successive relegations. Blackpool were unheard of, they're one of the most compelling teams in the league at the moment. Chelsea were firmly second-rate before Abramovich.

Everything in football can change, and very quickly. Obviously it depends on money, but that's a question of spending power rather than 'brand value'.

Blackburn buying the title was before the modern media revolution and therefore independent from this discussion.

What does Blackpool have to do with any of this other than they've moved up from lower league club to being part of the "Premiership rabble" like us?

The difference between Chelsea and Man City should actually show you the power of "brand value" that I'm talking about. Chelsea spent their money at the right time and bought a spot in the "big club culture." Man City are struggling despite the fact that they have enough money to make Roman look like a pauper because they're trying to break into an established market. It would be like opening a new fast food franchise and trying to beat McDonalds and Burger King.

I seriously don't give a crap about how it went down, I'm just disappointed that he's gone but I guess it was always going to happen when silly money was put on the table.

Indulging the conspiracy therorist for a bit I think it was pretty simple situation. Liverpool want to buy, talk to Newcastle get a feeling for how much money it will take, talk to Carroll's agent feel out the situation see if there's interest and what sort of salary they would need to pay. Liverpool make a bid, Newcastle reject it, probably citing Carroll will be due a cut of it. Liverpool speak to his agent, work out some sort of deal to pay the Loyalty bonus or tell him no further bid will be made and if he wants to move then it'll be up to him to force the matter. Bingo transfer request is tabled and off we go.

From Carroll's point of view, he would be at least tripling his current salary, along with a hefty signing on fee. Yes he loves NUFC, he's a Geordie and always will most probably but he also realises that it's a short career and the ownership and management of the club is volatile to say the least.

It's easy for us to call him an un loyal, money grabbing so and so, but if we were all in his position we would be foolish not to at least consider the opportunity set ourselves up for life with financial secruity and capitalise on our reputation. I'm not saying I would leave NUFC too, in his position, but I would certainly think about the money I would be turning down to show loyalty to one of the worst owners in English football.  

It's all a matter of scale but he'd be set up for life if he stayed at Newcastle tbf. As for the bit in bold, that's a bit of an odd way to look at it - Surely loyalty to the city, club, supporters maybe, come a little higher up the list than loyalty to the owner if he had stayed.