West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest BooBoo

Footballs a fickle old game. If Carroll came back, he'd be loved again.

Before we signed him, Shearer got dogs abuse when we played Blackburn at SJP.

Once a player is in the shirt, the past is by and large irrelevant.

He fucking deserved it as well for the way he celebrated that goal when he came off the bench.

End of the game, whole Gallowgate was singing, "Alan Shearer, you're a wanker, a wanker!"

Btw I question clumping his Championship form with the Prem form. I thought he was still pretty shit even when he was scoring in the Chump, but he was a different animal first 6 months in the Prem in terms of allround game.

we get the picture you dont like him btw.

Aye. That's why I made a 10 minute compilation on him.  :lol:

There's no question he was fucking mint over that period and was almost our only source of goals. However there's just as much sample of him being turd. I am undecided that it will be all rosy just because he's back in an NUFC shirt.

Footballs a fickle old game. If Carroll came back, he'd be loved again.

Before we signed him, Shearer got dogs abuse when we played Blackburn at SJP.

Once a player is in the shirt, the past is by and large irrelevant.

He fucking deserved it as well for the way he celebrated that goal when he came off the bench.

End of the game, whole Gallowgate was singing, "Alan Shearer, you're a wanker, a wanker!"

remember calling him all the greedy bastards from the milburn paddocks, he was just a few feet away, turned round and just laughed at us.

Obviously seems that De Jong was first choice but we were priced out. Carroll represents a player who would be keen and there's a motivated seller presided over by a jumped up manager with ideas way above his station. Plus he's a very decent striker, a throwback maybe but still talented. What he showed in his time with us, he's not lost just because the Liverpool move didn't work out. Put him back in a black and white shirt and you'll see a better player.

I like Ba a lot but if we're honest his loss of form last season was covered up by Cisse's amazing form and to a lesser extent Ben Arfa's. As an individual Cisse was superb, but his partnership with Ba didn't really work for Ba. I can really only think of WBA away where Ba and Cisse looked like they were on a wavelength.

No, he's not 'very decent'. We would be required to revert back to a system of old to accommodate him, which would be awful viewing. I don't get this idea that if he puts on a black and white shirt everything will magically be OK again. That's rubbish, it doesn't work like that.

I take it from Feb-December 2010, you missed our games? Carroll played very well for that period, scored a lot of goals and we certainly didn't play "hoofball" or whatever ridiculous labels get bandied about. Our second half of the Championship and start of 10/11 we actually played some good football.

Having Carroll back would not mean a convert to Wimbledon esque football. It's the laziest assumption.

I don't care about what he did in the championship. Which I saw all of, btw.

My main concern is with reverting back to 4-4-2. That is a concern that still remains even if we don't sign Carroll. Signing him, for me, displays an intention to go forward with that formation, which is worrying. Carroll doesn't have the ability to play in a front 3. Perhaps removing Simpson and Williamson would help us in that respect, I am not sure, I would just rather we used a 4-3-3 in the long-run.

Yeah, I thought he was excellent in that second half of the Championship season, can specifically remember thinking that he wasn't much cop before Christmas (although tbf it was his first real run of games for the club), improved massively after Christmas and basically carried on and improved on that form in the Premier League.  Not only did I think that his overall game was coming on a lot but the quality of goals he was scoring was going up as well.  I really don't think we're talking about 4 months of good form here, I think that's very harsh - it's more like about a year's very good form as a very young player.

Move didn't work out for him, it became clear quite quickly that if he was going to make a success of himself then it wouldn't be at Liverpool.  He's still only 23, at 23 Alan Shearer was coming back from setbacks of his own (in this case injuries) and hadn't really proved a great deal himself.

cp40, all our transfer targets at the moment are technically gifted players who can play several different roles. Carroll, for me, was absolutely perfect in the system of Barton putting in top crosses and having Kevin Nolan beside him whose movement in the final third is excellent. Carroll could probably do a lot of knockdowns for Cisse but it would probably be at the expense of Ba.

Ba is a far more natural goalscorer, has better technique and can play in different systems. Whilst Carroll was once perfect for us, he really isn't anymore. That's why I'd be disappointed, nothing to do with him as a person as I've always really liked him and want him to do well, just not at our expense

Guest BooBoo

Not sure why anyone would disregard his performances in the Championship. Regardless of the opposition, you can still note technique and ability in his game.

Guest BooBoo

cp40, all our transfer targets at the moment are technically gifted players who can play several different roles. Carroll, for me, was absolutely perfect in the system of Barton putting in top crosses and having Kevin Nolan beside him whose movement in the final third is excellent. Carroll could probably do a lot of knockdowns for Cisse but it would probably be at the expense of Ba.

Ba is a far more natural goalscorer, has better technique and can play in different systems. Whilst Carroll was once perfect for us, he really isn't anymore. That's why I'd be disappointed, nothing to do with him as a person as I've always really liked him and want him to do well, just not at our expense

How many goals did Carroll score from Barton crosses? West Ham away and then im struggling.

Another myth is how Barton played in that season. He was better than the rest of his nothing years at NUFC but he was hardly regularly creative. He just wasn't as disappointing as prior seasons.

Not sure why anyone would disregard his performances in the Championship. Regardless of the opposition, you can still note technique and ability in his game.

Exactly, same goes for Coloccini when people quite rightly say he's been our best player for 3 years on the bounce. 

You can only beat what's in front of you and Carroll was murdering defences for around 12 months.

Guest BooBoo

Ba showed last season he's very good at playing as a pairing in a 442. Other than that? He was poor in the 433 and showed he can't really play wide.

I've never really loved Carroll's game outside of being the number 9 and a local boy (which was very fun to experience at the time). I still think he'll always be a bit of a blunt object upfront and that the last two years have shown who he really is. This is a striker with one exceptional skill, who will often enter purple patches of good goalscoring form, but will struggle to be consistent at the top level and should not be put under the pressure of being a team's main/only goal threat. The idea of pressure getting to him is an overrated part of the story, imo. That being said, he would still be a brilliant option for a team in our position, if we can maybe halve his obscene wages. Foluwashola, Demba-Demba, and Ameobi is a Champions League strikeforce.

its fair enough comment. but im not convinced they will both be here next season, hope im wrong. Im fairly sure Pardew hinted in his live radio interview he was looking to bring in a target man as an out ball when we were under pressure, as he was using shola for.  I also think he is probably the best forward around at this present time who is trying to get a move here, and that in mind we should take the opportunity if it is there.

edit- i have a very good feeling about him and cisse. Im rarely wrong about these things.

Ba showed last season he's very good at playing as a pairing in a 442. Other than that? He was poor in the 433 and showed he can't really play wide.

I'm not having that. We had our best run all season with him playing there. It worked, certainly better than it ever would with Carroll there.

How many goals did Carroll score from Barton crosses? West Ham away and then im struggling.

Another myth is how Barton played in that season. He was better than the rest of his nothing years at NUFC but he was hardly regularly creative. He just wasn't as disappointing as prior seasons.

I don't know the stats on crosses for goals but there were definitely a number of crosses over from barton with knockdowns from Carroll which led to goals/goalscoring opportunities. I'm not saying Barton was great that season, I don't rate him as a footballer that much but he certainly put in a lot of decent crosses. Ba was dead on his feet for most of the second part of the season so it's difficult to rate how effective he is in a 4-3-3 and out wide. I don't doubt for a minute that if we start this season with him out wide or deeper in a 4-3-3 we'll see a much better Ba than we did from Feb onwards

Barton set up his goal at Wolves, at West Ham, at Arsenal, at home to Blackburn, and at home to Man City. Most of them set-pieces.

Guest BooBoo

I'm not having that. We had our best run all season with him playing there. It worked, certainly better than it ever would with Carroll there.

Yes it worked, agreed. But probably in spite of Ba not because of him. He got a single goal in that time and some of his showings were to be kind, iffy. Cisse's form papered over how mediocre he was from Feb- May. He was blistering in the 442 with Best but we accommodated Cisse and Ba's form dropped. We had Cisse, HBA and Cabye to thnk for the spring run as all three hit a very good run of form.

Ba's a great guy to have up top, he's wasted playing wide and his performances and (dare I say it) body language suggested he wasn't overly keen on playing that role.