The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

Bloody hell, drama in Turkey.

After drawing 0-0 in France Galatasaray went 3-1 up against Bordeaux. Not giving up easily Bordeaux drew level in the 86th minute which would send them through on the away goal rule. To round off an exciting game Galatasaray nicked a winner in injury time sending them through, dramatic stuff.

Bloody hell, drama in Turkey.

After drawing 0-0 in France Galatasaray went 3-1 up against Bordeaux. Not giving up easily Bordeaux drew level in the 86th minute which would send them through on the away goal rule. To round off an exciting game Galatasaray nicked a winner in injury time sending them through, dramatic stuff.

Turan scored twice for the Turks.

YES! Marseile advances! Beat The Flying Englishman's Twente 7-6 on penos after a 1-0 win thanks to Ben Arfa. Very good result considering a 1-0 loss at home in the Velodrome in the first leg. Marseille are like my second team so I had a bit invested emotionally here, and let me tell you something, if you think watching penalties is nervewracking, try following them by text. :lol: Hanging on every page refresh. I just thank the lord I've never had to follow PKs by text for NUFc or my country. Might not make it.

Its moments like this I think we deserve to be in Europe, we never put out weakened sides.

Was talking to a couple of lads on Tuesday about what would be the agg score if we had to play Madrid or Barcelona with the current plight of our team.

Its moments like this I think we deserve to be in Europe, we never put out weakened sides.

Was talking to a couple of lads on Tuesday about what would be the agg score if we had to play Madrid or Barcelona with the current plight of our team.

Barcelona would destroy us, but I think our team could give Real Madrid a few problems.

Barcelona would destroy us, but I think our team could give Real Madrid a few problems.

:kinnear:

Guest Heneage

I meant more UEFA cup with Villa and Spurs.

I meant more UEFA cup with Villa and Spurs.

I know, i was just commenting. At much it was tedious in places going to watch dead rubber Waffa games i do miss it so. Prefer to watch a pointless Waffa midweek game than say a home game against Wigan

Hope Arsenal catch Villa now. Pretty pathetic from O'Neill considering it's the competition that really made him.

No offence, but that's nonsense. Oh, hang on, you mean Arsenal who routinely put out their kids if it suits them?

We're in with a good chance of CL football, which we didn't expect, but we've a small squad, and we've been playing matches since last July. Arsenal play their kids when they feel they need to rest first teamers. We've done that, but not having their squad depth, we've had to do it in the UEFA cup rather than the Carling Cup.

He's had to make a pretty difficult decision today, but he made the right one.

We just do not have the squad depth, something had to give. If we were 8th or 9th now, it would have been different, but we're not, we're 6 points ahead of Arsenal in fourth and staying there is the most important thing.

Incidentally, I've been to all the home UEFA matches this season, and all the Intertoto games before that, so I've probably got reason to moan (thought not as much as if i had gone to Moscow), but in the long run, it is the right thing to do.

Hope Arsenal catch Villa now. Pretty pathetic from O'Neill considering it's the competition that really made him.

No offence, but that's nonsense. Oh, hang on, you mean Arsenal who routinely put out their kids if it suits them?

We're in with a good chance of CL football, which we didn't expect, but we've a small squad, and we've been playing matches since last July. Arsenal play their kids when they feel they need to rest first teamers. We've done that, but not having their squad depth, we've had to do it in the UEFA cup rather than the Carling Cup.

We just do not have the squad depth, something had to give. If we were 8th or 9th now, it would have been different, but we're not, we're 6 points ahead of Arsenal in fourth and staying there is the most important thing.

Incidentally, I've been to all the home UEFA matches this season, and all the Intertoto games before that, so I've probably got reason to moan (thought not as much as if i had gone to Moscow), but in the long run, it is the right thing to do.

i agree with this, to an extent.

on another note, hull are through to the fa cup quarters after getting past millwall and sheff united. massive opprtuity lost, this makes me angry.

Guest Heneage

Arsenal put their kids out in Carling Cup and sometimes the FA Cup. The only time I've seen them do it to date in Europe is Prague last year and Fenebache games that did not matter as qualification had been secured. If they put kids out against Roma last night for example I'd be more inclined to agree. You cannot strive to better yourself by qualifying for Europe then say "Oh well actually we want Champions League football now so we'll just put our reserves out."

How can you ever expect to be able to handle both? I give Everton credit for trying, but in my opinion the strongest Villa XI could have beaten CSKA over two legs. If you are desperate to play reserves and give the likes of Guzan a game, do that in the games that you have after qualifying like an Arsenal do.

While I agree that using kids in the Carling Cup and Fa Cup is off similar ilk in terms of being a bit of a mick take, you can't argue that Arsenal have the resources to do it. I imagine that these cups aren't high on Arsenal's priority list.

I just think overall it would be nice to see a team try and see how far they can go. Truly test Villa and see how they cope.

Arsenal put their kids out in Carling Cup and sometimes the FA Cup. The only time I've seen them do it to date in Europe is Prague last year and Fenebache games that did not matter as qualification had been secured. If they put kids out against Roma last night for example I'd be more inclined to agree. You cannot strive to better yourself by qualifying for Europe then say "Oh well actually we want Champions League football now so we'll just put our reserves out."

How can you ever expect to be able to handle both? I give Everton credit for trying, but in my opinion the strongest Villa XI could have beaten CSKA over two legs. If you are desperate to play reserves and give the likes of Guzan a game, do that in the games that you have after qualifying like an Arsenal do.

While I agree that using kids in the Carling Cup and Fa Cup is off similar ilk in terms of being a bit of a mick take, you can't argue that Arsenal have the resources to do it. I imagine that these cups aren't high on Arsenal's priority list.

I just think overall it would be nice to see a team try and see how far they can go. Truly test Villa and see how they cope.

But Arsenal have better resources than we do - that's undeniable - so the point at which they use their kids is lower down the football food chain than where we use ours.

You mention Guzan, he's actually played in every UEFA Cup game this season, so probably not the best example.

The defence (other than keeper) we put out tonight is pretty much the starting PL defence, but there was no point him risking Ashley Young or Barry in a fixture like this - we're struggling with injuries already, we just can't take the chance.

MON's job isn't to test us and see what we can do on all fronts, it is to get the best result at the end of the season for the club. If he gets us in the Champions League, that will be an outstanding achievement. He obviously thought that we didn't have the resources to do both, and if he felt that way - can you blame him?

Football these days is all about the CL, the difference between the clubs who are in it and those who are not is immense. I don't like that - I prefer winning trophies, you get to put them on your honours list, something you don't do with a fourth place finish - but that's the way football is these days.

There's also one major difference between Everton's CL appearance and ours (should we get there, which lets not forget, is nothing like certain). Everton financially didn't have a pot to piss in, they couldn't invest the money to build the squad prior to their CL year. We do have.

It is an excellent opportunity, and he's done the rational thing (although I acknowledge the emotional arguments to the contrary)

Guest Heneage

But Arsenal have better resources than we do - that's undeniable - so the point at which they use their kids is lower down the football food chain than where we use ours.

You mention Guzan, he's actually played in every UEFA Cup game this season, so probably not the best example.

The defence (other than keeper) we put out tonight is pretty much the starting PL defence, but there was no point him risking Ashley Young or Barry in a fixture like this - we're struggling with injuries already, we just can't take the chance.

MON's job isn't to test us and see what we can do on all fronts, it is to get the best result at the end of the season for the club. If he gets us in the Champions League, that will be an outstanding achievement. He obviously thought that we didn't have the resources to do both, and if he felt that way - can you blame him?

Football these days is all about the CL, the difference between the clubs who are in it and those who are not is immense. I don't like that - I prefer winning trophies, you get to put them on your honours list, something you don't do with a fourth place finish - but that's the way football is these days.

There's also one major difference between Everton's CL appearance and ours (should we get there, which lets not forget, is nothing like certain). Everton financially didn't have a pot to piss in, they couldn't invest the money to build the squad prior to their CL year. We do have.

It is an excellent opportunity, and he's done the rational thing (although I acknowledge the emotional arguments to the contrary)

Aye but its like going to Disney land just to watch other people queue.

One big difference between Arsenal and Villa.

You are forced to enter the Carling/FA Cup. You strive all season to qualify for Europe, then do your best to get knocked out?!?

I'm sure all Villa fans will be pleased with the team selection tonight when they finish fifth and get to watch the Waffa final from the comfort of their living rooms.