The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

Guest quklaani

Having watched them today all I can think of is the 2000 side and how far they've fallen.  We were the reigning champions of europe and they just destroyed us.  Funny thing is you look at the players they had then and they weren't exactly a team of superstars.

Casillas, Salgado, Karanka, Campo, Carlos, Scouse Bastard, Redondo, Helguera, Savio, Raul, Morientes.

Where are all the great foreign teams now hey?  It's becoming a bit depressing seeing all these big name clubs get beaten by a Liverpool side which can't get anywhere near the title.  I'm dreading Liverpool drawing this amazing Barca side and then somehow beating them home and away.  Inter are the best Italy has to offer and to be frank they were woeful.*  The European Cup is getting a bit boring, unless we win it of course and then it's fecking marvellous.

*It should be noted that I'm certain we'll go behind early, and then have about 46 shots on target and still only score the once.  It's just that bastard with the coat, we're incapable of beating him.  Man Utd are going out tonight on away goals, I'm getting so sure I think I might actually bet on it.

Having watched them today all I can think of is the 2000 side and how far they've fallen.  We were the reigning champions of europe and they just destroyed us.  Funny thing is you look at the players they had then and they weren't exactly a team of superstars.

Casillas, Salgado, Karanka, Campo, Carlos, Scouse b******, Redondo, Helguera, Savio, Raul, Morientes.

Where are all the great foreign teams now hey?  It's becoming a bit depressing seeing all these big name clubs get beaten by a Liverpool side which can't get anywhere near the title.  I'm dreading Liverpool drawing this amazing Barca side and then somehow beating them home and away.  Inter are the best Italy has to offer and to be frank they were woeful.*  The European Cup is getting a bit boring, unless we win it of course and then it's fecking marvellous.

*It should be noted that I'm certain we'll go behind early, and then have about 46 shots on target and still only score the once.  It's just that b****** with the coat, we're incapable of beating him.  Man Utd are going out tonight on away goals, I'm getting so sure I think I might actually bet on it.

I think you'll scrape through, but people aren't giving consideration to the fact that if Inter score, you're in trouble.

0-0 away from home in Europe isn't as good as people make out.

Guest kingdawson

I can see Serie A overtaking La Liga pretty quickly. Valencia are gone for a few years with their financial problems and Villareal are punching above their weight so that just leaves Barca while Real remain a joke in europe (and after seeing Barca's only challenger in Spain it's debatable how good they are themselves) . Real just have it far too comfortable in La Liga, how can a team with a defence of Ramos - Pepe - Cannavaro (5 years past his best) - Heinze and other mediocre players like Gago, Higuain, Marcelo playing every week even be in the top two, never mind back to back champions. Two teams who can't get near the league titles in England and Italy have shown them up for what they really are.

Well Villareal are certainly not punching above their weight. They're a good team that play nice flowing football. Athletico on paper, probably have a first X1 just as good as Gooner cunts, and Sevilla are pretty decent themselves. Agree that the premiership is a better league but Seria A is no where near it.

It's just the dynamics of European football changing. It happens. In a few years' time, some other league will be 'dominant'. Do you remember in 2004 or 2005 when Italy had 3 teams in the semis? But, I'm sure Milan and Inter fans were not saying 'ah, the European cup is boring, where are all the good foreign teams?'. In time, a different status quo will emerge. Right now, the English teams are on top but I'm not sure that it'll last as long as most people believe it will (i.e. a decade of dominance).

I was working all week to try to be fit. This game was very important for me to play (because of) my past with Atletico. (My goal) was very important, of course. It was a massive game for the fans.

Tell that to ITV, Fernando. Apparently they think that the Spanish press have been criticising you.

Real have a cracking squad, just a s*** manager. Van der vaart on the bench. Wise move.

Who would you have dropped him for ?

Gago, possibly. But as far as I'm aware Diarra and Gago have been the regular starters in the centre of their midfield, and Real have been decent in the league as of late so you can't really blame Ramos for that one.

decent against shit. When they are down after the first leg, they need some extra attacking ability, cause a defense with Heinze is just not up to it.

No shit Real lost. They have not one player who can make the difference now that Robinho has left. Robben is possibly that kind of player but he didnt play yesterday. There's no pace in their team. They could've started Marcelo at left-back because hes a more forward-minded fullback/wingback than Heinze, but Juande Ramos proved his incompetence when picking his starting eleven knowing he had to go in and win by either keeping a cleen sheet or winning by two goals or more.

Anywas now theyre out and lets hope Inter and Barca can keep this english league at level.

No shit Real lost. They have not one player who can make the difference now that Robinho has left. Robben is possibly that kind of player but he didnt play yesterday. There's no pace in their team. They could've started Marcelo at left-back because hes a more forward-minded fullback/wingback than Heinze, but Juande Ramos proved his incompetence when picking his starting eleven knowing he had to go in and win by either keeping a cleen sheet or winning by two goals or more.

Anywas now theyre out and lets hope Inter and Barca can keep this english league at level.

Robben did play yesterday mate.

Guest Heneage

Messiah I know he's been good, but in a game away from home, chasing it I didn't think he'd offer much especially as Liverpool would defend deep, restricting them to long shots.

I can see Serie A overtaking La Liga pretty quickly. Valencia are gone for a few years with their financial problems and Villareal are punching above their weight so that just leaves Barca while Real remain a joke in europe (and after seeing Barca's only challenger in Spain it's debatable how good they are themselves) . Real just have it far too comfortable in La Liga, how can a team with a defence of Ramos - Pepe - Cannavaro (5 years past his best) - Heinze and other mediocre players like Gago, Higuain, Marcelo playing every week even be in the top two, never mind back to back champions. Two teams who can't get near the league titles in England and Italy have shown them up for what they really are.

Well Villareal are certainly not punching above their weight. They're a good team that play nice flowing football. Athletico on paper, probably have a first X1 just as good as Gooner cunts, and Sevilla are pretty decent themselves. Agree that the premiership is a better league but Seria A is no where near it.

Is that meant to be an insult? Because Atletico have a fucking quality side!

Guest Ebolarama

Hope Man Utd win tonight, bring Mourinho down to earth, plus if Inter get beat his post match interview will be great.

I hope Inter win, because nothing will puncture Jose's ego. Ever. Plus, I prefer Inter as a team.

Guest Heneage

The thought of seeing Mourinho run up the touch line again would be brilliant. He can be a pain sometimes, but he is a joy to watch in press conferences.

Guest neesy111

mourinho has the arrogance that's needed in the top manager's, we've all said him, fergy and wenger are all cunts etc but they deserve to be like that as they are all very successful football managers

mourinho believe's in himself, i would like a newcastle manager to show off like that tbh

mourinho has the arrogance that's needed in the top manager's, we've all said him, fergy and wenger are all c***s etc but they deserve to be like that as they are all very successful football managers

mourinho believe's in himself, i would like a newcastle manager to show off like that tbh

Joe Kinnear does it all the time, what you on about!

Guest kingdawson

Well Villareal are certainly not punching above their weight. They're a good team that play nice flowing football. Athletico on paper, probably have a first X1 just as good as Gooner c***s, and Sevilla are pretty decent themselves. Agree that the premiership is a better league but Seria A is no where near it.

Is that meant to be an insult? Because Atletico have a f***ing quality side!

Seeing as i've continuously said on here that Athletico are my team in Spain, and wrongly predicting they'd win La Liga last season, it wasn't an insult. There first X1 is suberb (on paper at least), and they'd be challenging it it wasn't for their piece of shit defence.

6 years ago to the day Inter played a tough Champions League game against one of the English top 4.

Ended 2-2.

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/1842183.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A602A230F8D82AA2F390F55034CEB503EE

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/1842251.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6EB5EF69938963F0290F55034CEB503EE

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/1848038.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6969A6DCF59DF2F8390F55034CEB503EE

:-[

I'm quite enjoying having Jose briefly back in the spotlight. You get his entertainment factor briefly, and he'll be off again before you realise how irritatingly mundane he is the majority of the time.

Guest neesy111

mourinho has the arrogance that's needed in the top manager's, we've all said him, fergy and wenger are all c***s etc but they deserve to be like that as they are all very successful football managers

Joe Kinnear does it all the time, what you on about!

but he's a shit manager and doesn't deserve the right to do it

Real have a cracking squad, just a s*** manager. Van der vaart on the bench. Wise move.

Who would you have dropped him for ?

Gago, possibly. But as far as I'm aware Diarra and Gago have been the regular starters in the centre of their midfield, and Real have been decent in the league as of late so you can't really blame Ramos for that one.

decent against shit. When they are down after the first leg, they need some extra attacking ability, cause a defense with Heinze is just not up to it.

You're suggesting a large percentage of top flight Spainish teams are "shit"? I never said they couldn't have done without the extra attacking threat, just saying you can understand why Ramos stuck with a team that have been getting decent results as of late.

Well Villareal are certainly not punching above their weight. They're a good team that play nice flowing football. Athletico on paper, probably have a first X1 just as good as Gooner c***s, and Sevilla are pretty decent themselves. Agree that the premiership is a better league but Seria A is no where near it.

Is that meant to be an insult? Because Atletico have a f***ing quality side!

Seeing as i've continuously said on here that Athletico are my team in Spain, and wrongly predicting they'd win La Liga last season, it wasn't an insult. There first X1 is suberb (on paper at least), and they'd be challenging it it wasn't for their piece of shit defence.

So it was a complement?  :cheesy:

Guest float one in

Casillas, Salgado, Karanka, Campo, Carlos, Scouse b******, Redondo, Helguera, Savio, Raul, Morientes.

*It should be noted that I'm certain we'll go behind early, and then have about 46 shots on target and still only score the once.  It's just that b****** with the coat, we're incapable of beating him.  Man Utd are going out tonight on away goals, I'm getting so sure I think I might actually bet on it.

Brilliant player by the way...