The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

Oh well at least we have the smug satisfaction that any of our distant supporters are either exiles, relations of exiles or completely off their trolley and not glory hunting barstewards with vague connections to their place of (recent-ish) worship.

Guest quklaani

To be fair, there's a pretty strong trend amongst people who "chose" a football team to stick with them.  Probably a lot of those fans were drawn in by Keegan's side and have stuck around.

At Uni I once watched Match of the Day in a friend's kitchen and there was another lad there.  Started talking to him and he was from Northumberland, was chatting away for awhile before I bothered to enquire why he was watching, I'm sure you can guess his reply.  Perhaps he had a decent reason, probably one of the few thousand reds I met at Uni whose "dad was from Manchester."  I just don't really see the point, but then I had the luck of the draw of where I was born.  To be fair I didn't start supporting Manchester United because of family (they either don't care or are Irish) or geography (I could just as easily have been a blue) but because when I was a kid a family friend gave me this shirt:

http://www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk/images/Man-United-90-Away.jpg

Hideous isn't it?  But there you go.  Course being round here I'm sure I would have got swept up (as most "unbaptised" kids did) when we started winning things anyway.

Guest prestonj1989

Not sure if this has been said yet but watching the Vidic tackle on Gerrard that led to a red card yesterday reminded me a bit of the tackle he done on Martins at SJP a couple of weeks ago. At the time of the tackle at SJP I thought it could have been red because it looked as though Martins would have had a clear shot on goal. Was there much difference between the Gerrard one and ours? 

Not sure if this has been said yet but watching the Vidic tackle on Gerrard that led to a red card yesterday reminded me a bit of the tackle he done on Martins at SJP a couple of weeks ago. At the time of the tackle at SJP I thought it could have been red because it looked as though Martins would have had a clear shot on goal. Was there much difference between the Gerrard one and ours?   

Yeah, the tackle on Gerrard was a definite red and the one on Martins (if I remember correctly) was stopping a probably chance, but not an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

Yeah, the tackle on Gerrard was a definite red and the one on Martins (if I remember correctly) was stopping a probably chance, but not an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

The commentary team I had on yesterday (can't remember who) were adamant it wasn't a red card because Rio was behind Vidic and therefore Vidic wasn't "last man". I wish the people who are supposed to be telling me about the game would learn the rules - moreso when they started going on about Man Utd losing Vidic for three games. :rolleyes:

The commentary team I had on yesterday (can't remember who) were adamant it wasn't a red card because Rio was behind Vidic and therefore Vidic wasn't "last man". I wish the people who are supposed to be telling me about the game would learn the rules - moreso when they started going on about Man Utd losing Vidic for three games. :rolleyes:

I know exactly what you mean with this. It's their job to know the rules of the sport surely and their inaccurate citation of the rules breeds incompetence in the people that listen and take this tripe on.

I don't think it even says 'last man' at all in the rulebook...

..just checked. Nope.

Haha, for those having a moan about Coloccini, watch Fulham's first goal from yesterday and see what we used to have in Andy O'Brien. :lol:

O'Brien was 10 million?

What's that got to do with it? You could say has Coloccini had 8 years in the Premiership?

Haha, for those having a moan about Coloccini, watch Fulham's first goal from yesterday and see what we used to have in Andy O'Brien. :lol:

O'Brien was 10 million?

What's that got to do with it? You could say has Coloccini had 8 years in the Premiership?

Argentine international? Worth 10 million isn't performing because he hasn't had 8 years experience in the Premier League?  On this years evidence i would rather have Titus Bramble, not even kidding, Coloccini hasn't been any better has cost us more and im sure he is on a fair wage with good bonuses.

Add to the fact he has hardly any attributes to make him a success in this league, it's not about adapting he genuinely can't cope with the speed and the psychical side of the game. 

I don't believe the comparison with O'Brien is fair, 10 million compared to peanuts for O'Brien and the latter was in a Champions League team believe or not

O'Brien was 10 million?

Argentine international? Worth 10 million isn't performing because he hasn't had 8 years experience in the Premier League?  On this years evidence i would rather have Titus Bramble, not even kidding, Coloccini hasn't been any better has cost us more and im sure he is on a fair wage with good bonuses.

Add to the fact he has hardly any attributes to make him a success in this league, it's not about adapting he genuinely can't cope with the speed and the psychical side of the game. 

I don't believe the comparison with O'Brien is fair, 10 million compared to peanuts for O'Brien and the latter was in a Champions League team believe or not

He hasn't even had a season in the premiership and you're writing him off.

He wasn't all that in his first season for Depor either but soon became one of their best and most consistent players. You're acting as if he's as bad as Boumsong and he's no way near.

O'Brien was 10 million?

He wasn't all that in his first season for Depor either but soon became one of their best and most consistent players. You're acting as if he's as bad as Boumsong and he's no way near.

It's the Newcastle way, apparently.

O'Brien was 10 million?

The original post compared Coloccini to O'Brien which is daft, as O'Brien didnt cost a fraction of Colo's transfer fee and played in a successful side.  Coloccini genuinely don't look much better at the moment, and am i right in saying he has been our player with the most appearances?  I'm not writing him off, expected alot more for an established Argentine international.  He has been very disappointing.

Bassong has really shown him up, and he has barely any experience compared to his team mate. 

O'Brien was 10 million?

The original post compared Coloccini to O'Brien which is daft, as O'Brien didnt cost a fraction of Colo's transfer fee and played in a successful side.  Coloccini genuinely don't look much better at the moment, and am i right in saying he has been our player with the most appearances?  I'm not writing him off, expected alot more for an established Argentine international.  He has been very disappointing.

Bassong has really shown him up, and he has barely any experience compared to his team mate. 

Yeah I couldn't be bothered to go back and quote the original.

Colo has shown at other clubs that he's a very reliable defender given the opportunity. He also looked solid in his first few appearances when Keegan was here and he was getting loads of praise as I remember.

The fact that he has the most appearances this season is nothing but a bonus for me. I'd rather have a slightly shaky defender that has shown his class in other leagues that stays injury free than a Woodgate who has shown his class in this league but is never available to play.

He'll settle in time I'm sure. He's shown that he has some adapting to do for this league but I've yet to see him make a major howler of a mistake like Taylor, Boumsong, Bramble etc. etc.

Essien back to being the best midfielder in the Prem imo. He's everywhere.

Agree. What a player, he's everywhere and doing everything right. Now being used as an attacking midfielder and performing that role perfectly, just like he does DM and full back.