The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

Jenas may be shit and a cunt, but he's miles better than any of our CMs. I'd gladly trade any of Barton, Guthrie, or Nolan for him.

By 'better' you can only mean he still has legs left in him, in possession he's not much better than Butt or Geremi, constantly gives it away. Not that much of a presence in the middle either, rarely see him putting challenges in.

Guest Stephen927

Where the heck would we have played Modric if we had bought him?

Seems to be a man with no position.

I think ideally he would slot in behind two front men, but hardly any prem teams play a diamond.

Well when Harry first joined Spurs he said Modric's best position was behind the striker(s), but he seems to be playing just as deep as he did under Juande Ramos.

Can't believe I didn't place that bet I was going to do, of Everton finishing above Villa back in January. If Villa lose today I can actually see it happening.

Brummie, do you think a few of the players are playing with their early-season form still in their minds, i.e. "Ah I've done my bit this season, we'll get UEFA cup, sorted."? Or is that a bit too cynical?

Haha, for those having a moan about Coloccini, watch Fulham's first goal from yesterday and see what we used to have in Andy O'Brien. :lol:

O'Brien was 10 million?

What's that got to do with it? You could say has Coloccini had 8 years in the Premiership?

S'funny isn't it... we'd say that Coloccini, Bassong, probably Taylor aswell - are all better than Andy O'Brien, Andy Griffin or Aaron Hughes. Rightfully... yet it's the latter that has actually appeared in the last 16 of, what is essentially, the world elite competition.

People bitch and moan about our squad constantly, and whilst i agree it's hardly brilliant... what a good manager could do with it beggars belief. :nope:

To be fair, how good would Coloccini & Bassong look if they had the likes of Robert, Solano, Speed, Dyer, even Jenas in front of them instead of Duff, Smith, Geremi & Butt?

People always underestimate the midfield's role in a good defence unfortunately.

"People always..."   You've no idea how condescending/patronising you are at times Kaka. I'm fully aware, actually. Cheers. :thup:

Didn't mean to come across that way at all. Wrong choice of words.

Wasn't directed at you personally. Just meant that a lot of times the midfield isn't taken into account when iit comes to a defence's performance.

Alright, sorry. :thup:

No worries.

:angel:

Can't believe I didn't place that bet I was going to do, of Everton finishing above Villa back in January. If Villa lose today I can actually see it happening.

Brummie, do you think a few of the players are playing with their early-season form still in their minds, i.e. "Ah I've done my bit this season, we'll get UEFA cup, sorted."? Or is that a bit too cynical?

I think we've played pretty well today, we just can't score. We played very well against Stoke but turned off in the last few minutes.

The mistake for us was not buying a more prolific striker in January. Agbonlahor is woefully out of sorts, but there is no alternative.

We'll finish fifth, we just don't have the goals in us to finish fourth, I worry.

We've also missed Martin Laursen.

Been impressed with Cuellar today. Haven't seen him play centrally before, but seems to read a lot of dangerous situations very early and has been clearing the ball all game. Reo-Coker has been really good at right back also.

Can we officially declare that Modric is not that great? People talk about no end product from Jonas? Bleeding heck Modric is almost as bad but cost an arm and a leg. Never seems to get the final ball or shot quite right Modric.

Been impressed with Cuellar today. Haven't seen him play centrally before, but seems to read a lot of dangerous situations very early and has been clearing the ball all game. Reo-Coker has been really good at right back also.

He's barely featured at CB. He's a victim of the strange thing MON has about full backs. NRC has looked very good there, I think

In fact, i think we've played very well today, bar their goal, other than our inability to put the ball in the net.

I think we've played pretty well today, we just can't score. We played very well against Stoke but turned off in the last few minutes.

The mistake for us was not buying a more prolific striker in January. Agbonlahor is woefully out of sorts, but there is no alternative.

We'll finish fifth, we just don't have the goals in us to finish fourth, I worry.

Drop Milner.

Move Gabby to the right for a few games with Heskey and Carew upfront and Young on the left and you would be back scoring goals in no time.

Drop Milner.

Move Gabby to the right for a few games with Heskey and Carew upfront and Young on the left and you would be back scoring goals in no time.

Gabby needs to be moved to the bench, I'm afraid, he's been that bad.

From the outside, the bold bit is the key point IMO. When you play well, good stuff. But you don't seem to have much of a Plan B if Plan A doesn't work. Granted you're playing well today and against Stoke you were robbed, but do you think that observation holds any truth?

And true, Agbonlahor, seems to try his best but just isn't producing as he did in the first 15-20 games of the season.

When are Bouma/Laursen back?

He's barely featured at CB. He's a victim of the strange thing MON has about full backs. NRC has looked very good there, I think

In fact, i think we've played very well today, bar their goal, other than our inability to put the ball in the net.

Right back might just be Reo-Coker's best position.

His lesser qualities on the ball are not as glaring but his strengths i.e. his strength, tackling, work rate and pace really shine.

From the outside, the bold bit is the key point IMO. When you play well, good stuff. But you don't seem to have much of a Plan B if Plan A doesn't work. Granted you're playing well today and against Stoke you were robbed, but do you think that observation holds any truth?

And true, Agbonlahor, seems to try his best but just isn't producing as he did in the first 15-20 games of the season.

When are Bouma/Laursen back?

Bouma is on the bench today, i think. Laursen I don't think will be back this season.

I don't agree about not having a plan B, we've played so far today by keeping possession, which isn't necessarily our "usual" mode of play, the issue is in terms of alternative players, not ways of playing.

Guest firetotheworks

His lesser qualities on the ball are not as glaring but his strengths i.e. his strength, tackling, work rate and pace really shine.

Come again?

Come again?

You don't think Reo-Coker has pace?

Come on man!

Always irks me to see Spurs winning, especially the way things are the bottom, but Villa deserve nothing less than they're getting at the moment. Presumably O'Neill will be telling them to lose from now on so they don't have to qualify for that pesky UEFA Cup again.

Guest firetotheworks

Come again?

Come on man!

'Bent does Reo Coker for pace'

What pace does Reo Coker have? I don't see it.

Come again?

Come on man!

'Bent does Reo Coker for pace'

What pace does Reo Coker have? I don't see it.

Wow ... okay. If you don't see it then I guess you don't see it.

Bent looked offside when Palacios hit the initial shot, does that not count when he comes back into play?

I haven't seen it, but if Bent was offside when Palacios kicked it then yeah he was in an offside position.

There's a different between being in an offside position and being penalised for being offside though.