The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

Guest neesy111

i personally much prefer direct attacking football of the sort man utd play (or liverpool in the past couple of months) over barca or arsenal's pass-pass-pass. the quick incisive counter-attack that Ronaldo scored from last night gives me far more pleasure than when barca or arsenal pass it in the middle of the opposition half pointlessly for half an hour and finally walk it in. Barcelona tonight failed to find a final ball 99% of the time and all their big stars went missing big time, particular Etoo, Messi and Alves, though at least the latter tried even if his delivery was shocking. if they're not making penetrative use of their possession then it's as boring as any catenaccio.

Spot on! I hate to say it, but I love watching Man U at their best.

Far far better than watching Barcelona and Arsenal. I agree.

i guess you didn't see barca thump real at the weekend

I did, and it was exceptional. Except for me, it's more fun watching a Man Utd. outfit firing on all cylinders. Rooney in particular has that explosiveness that makes him look like an entire team at times. At 2-0 up last night, he was at left back defending for a chunk of the match when he could have been lazily waiting up front for a counter. For me, the high energy. high quality laced with blood and thunder played by Man Utd is breathtaking.

all depends on how you view football to be played

barcelona like arsenal technically are light years ahead of othet teams

man utd have so much strength and pace and they do have a much a better defence than barca

i personally much prefer direct attacking football of the sort man utd play (or liverpool in the past couple of months) over barca or arsenal's pass-pass-pass. the quick incisive counter-attack that Ronaldo scored from last night gives me far more pleasure than when barca or arsenal pass it in the middle of the opposition half pointlessly for half an hour and finally walk it in. Barcelona tonight failed to find a final ball 99% of the time and all their big stars went missing big time, particular Etoo, Messi and Alves, though at least the latter tried even if his delivery was shocking. if they're not making penetrative use of their possession then it's as boring as any catenaccio.

I did, and it was exceptional. Except for me, it's more fun watching a Man Utd. outfit firing on all cylinders. Rooney in particular has that explosiveness that makes him look like an entire team at times. At 2-0 up last night, he was at left back defending for a chunk of the match when he could have been lazily waiting up front for a counter. For me, the high energy. high quality laced with blood and thunder played by Man Utd is breathtaking.

You say this as if the concept of high quality, high paced football is something that Barca are incapable of producing. Man Utd are a great football side and I must admit that this is probably the dream CL final match-up ever since these two teams kicked into gear in December. But Barcelona can produce football of equal quality to Man Utd's, and in my opinion, can consistently produce football of a higher quality with the devastating counter-attacking that Man Utd are reknowned for. The fact that they don't do it that often is not because they can't, but because they don't need to. Why defend and look to counter-attack when you can totally dominate the ball and pass your way around the other team effortlessly?

Ask any Man Utd fan whether they prefer the way Barca play or the way they've been playing and you'll get a pretty conclusive answer. Both teams have been equally successful this season so the difference between the teams is how pleasing their football is.

Barca have conceded 28 league goals this season, Man Utd 23. The difference isn't a lot. The reason people say Man Utd have a great defence is because they've grounded out a ton of results this year (especially during that 10 match clean sheet streak) whereas Barca haven't needed an awesome defense because their attack is of a quality that has rarely been seen in football.

Barca have conceded 28 league goals this season, Man Utd 23. The difference isn't a lot. The reason people say Man Utd have a great defence is because they've grounded out a ton of results this year (especially during that 10 match clean sheet streak) whereas Barca haven't needed an awesome defense because their attack is of a quality that has rarely been seen in football.

IMO Barcelona's attacking capability hasn't been seen in the European game since Valencia under Cuper. By the same token, that year Valencia faced a powerful Madrid side that just swept through them. I wouldnt be surprised if the same happens again in the final where pace and power overrun style and finesse. Both sides have top top class movement off the ball. The difference is that Man Utd's movement is more direct and in your face compared to Barca's subtle approach. They blatantly want to pass you off the park, both teams. One does it in your face and straight to the point, the other takes you for a good old schooling before finishing you off.

Look, football won tonight. The team that actually plays football as it is supposed to be played, the team that tries to do the thing that you most want to see in football (score) went through and so every neutral football fan should happy.

If anyone's such a fan of defensive football, let me never hear you say a 0-0 match is boring.

There was only one team over 180 minutes who tried to play football and they went through. Now I hope they fucking thump Man Utd.

I'm glad Barca are through but that's rubbish. The English invented the game and we've never produced sides that play anything like the football Barca play.

i think you'll find the entertainers we're really good to watch and man utd's football last season was breathtaking

Just as good to watch but a different brand of football altogether. Which is basically the point.

Guest Heneage

Tot el camp

és un clam

som la gent blaugrana

Tant se val d'on venim

si del sud o del nord

ara estem d'acord, ara estem d'acord,

una bandera ens agermana.

Blaugrana al vent

un crit valent

tenim un nom el sap tothom:

Barca, Bara, Baaarccaaa

Jugadors, seguidors,

tots units fem força.

Son molt anys plens d'afanys,

son molts gols que hem cridat

i s'ha demostrat, i s'ha demostrat,

que mai ningu no ens podrà torcer.

Blaugrana al vent

un crit valent

Barca, Barca, Baaarccaaa

Do you support Newcastle and Barca?I've always been slightly confused about your allegiances.

reeeeally?  the techinical ability of barca compared to man utd is beyond laughable, it's how we should all dream of being able to play football

Emotionally, it's great to see Chelsea get slapped round the face with a sucker punch in the last minute, absolutely loved it.

On a more rational level though, Chelsea did get robbed of a few things, the Pique handball being the main one. However, as has been mentioned, Barca have hardly been getting all the decisions over the 2 legs - the Henry pen that wasnt, constant hacking/diving from Chelsea players, and the ludicrous sending off of Abidal.

On one hand, a good defence seems to be vilified nowadays - it is a key part of the game and people defending well seems to be turning into another way of saying they're playing negatively. However on the other hand, Chelsea had it coming to them. Sitting back on a 1-0 lead, regardless of the chances they carved out the other end, was always a dangerous game. So what if Barca didn't have a shot on target? IMO they got all the encouragement they needed by being all over Chelsea, with one less man. In the end it was an excellent strike that got the goal that sent them through. Whether they deserved it is another matter, but on an emotional purist level, I'd agree they did.

The general argument about the final though seems to be slightly flawed (i.e. the opinion that a better final will be played out - which is different to 'the best footballing side got through'). On the face of it, you'd think it would. But I fear the final will not be dissimilar to either of the 2 matches these 2 played out last year; and quite similar to today's game. Don't rule out Man Utd adopting a rugged and robust style against Barca to stop them playing. I hope Man Utd try to play openly though. Ultimately I think it'll be Man Utd's attitude and style of play, that will determine how the final is played.

The general argument about the final though seems to be slightly flawed (i.e. the opinion that a better final will be played out - which is different to 'the best footballing side got through'). On the face of it, you'd think it would. But I fear the final will not be dissimilar to either of the 2 matches these 2 played out last year; and quite similar to today's game. Don't rule out Man Utd adopting a rugged and robust style against Barca to stop them playing. I hope Man Utd try to play openly though. Ultimately I think it'll be Man Utd's attitude and style of play, that will determine how the final is played.

haven't been able to watch either of these legs but i have a feeling the final will go differently as it's a one off game - man u shut down barca last year and chelsea tried it this year due to there being two legs and them having the chance to hit them with a high pressure game in the home legs, worked last year almost worked this year

how to approach it in a one off game?  personally i think fergie will attack them and try to dominate the tempo of the game rather than physically dominate them, and i think he'll lose...real tried it last week and were buried for their troubles

Tot el camp

és un clam

som la gent blaugrana

Tant se val d'on venim

si del sud o del nord

ara estem d'acord, ara estem d'acord,

una bandera ens agermana.

Blaugrana al vent

un crit valent

Barca, Bara, Baaarccaaa

Jugadors, seguidors,

tots units fem força.

Son molt anys plens d'afanys,

son molts gols que hem cridat

i s'ha demostrat, i s'ha demostrat,

que mai ningu no ens podrà torcer.

Blaugrana al vent

un crit valent

Barca, Barca, Baaarccaaa

jesus wept

On one hand, a good defence seems to be vilified nowadays - it is a key part of the game and people defending well seems to be turning into another way of saying they're playing negatively.

As an Evertonian, you'll be used to saying that, I imagine.

(I'm only joking, btw)

Emotionally, it's great to see Chelsea get slapped round the face with a sucker punch in the last minute, absolutely loved it.

On a more rational level though, Chelsea did get robbed of a few things, the Pique handball being the main one. However, as has been mentioned, Barca have hardly been getting all the decisions over the 2 legs - the Henry pen that wasnt, constant hacking/diving from Chelsea players, and the ludicrous sending off of Abidal.

On one hand, a good defence seems to be vilified nowadays - it is a key part of the game and people defending well seems to be turning into another way of saying they're playing negatively. However on the other hand, Chelsea had it coming to them. Sitting back on a 1-0 lead, regardless of the chances they carved out the other end, was always a dangerous game. So what if Barca didn't have a shot on target? IMO they got all the encouragement they needed by being all over Chelsea, with one less man. In the end it was an excellent strike that got the goal that sent them through. Whether they deserved it is another matter, but on an emotional purist level, I'd agree they did.

The tactics for a one-off final are totally different to those adopted for a 2 leg tie. I have no doubt in my mind that Man Utd will use their steam rolling attacking force as the best method of defence. What Ferguson will do is try to keep Barcelona busy defending, and expose their own defensive problems rather than worry about how they will attack. IMO Carrick, Scholes and Andreson will be key to whether they lift the trophy or not.

The tactics for a one-off final are totally different to those adopted for a 2 leg tie. I have no doubt in my mind that Man Utd will use their steam rolling attacking force as the best method of defence. What Ferguson will do is try to keep Barcelona busy defending, and expose their own defensive problems rather than worry about how they will attack. IMO Carrick, Scholes and Andreson will be key to whether they lift the trophy or not.

agree

carrick, scholes & anderson vs xavi, toure and iniesta

losing both full backs might well hurt Barca mind

agree

Aye. Full back is the most important position tactically for a side as attacking as Barcelona. It will indeed hurt them. The players who will fill are certainly no mugs, but they possibly do not have the full season's momentum that Alves and Abidal have had. It will all depend on how quickly the scum's midfield can repossess the ball, especially Carrick, who if on form, has the fantastic ability to distribute play on par even with Xavi and Alonso.

agree

Aye. Full back is the most important position tactically for a side as attacking as Barcelona. It will indeed hurt them. The players who will fill are certainly no mugs, but they possibly do not have the full season's momentum that Alves and Abidal have had. It will all depend on how quickly the scum's midfield can repossess the ball, especially Carrick, who if on form, has the fantastic ability to distribute play on par even with Xavi and Alonso.

abidal was wank against real by the way, beaten time and again by ramos & robben so he might not be the greatest loss

said elsewhere though that evra was a travesty up against lennon recently so messi will fancy his chances if he see's enough of the ball

Barca's midfield will destroy Man Utds. Biggest thing is, Messi Eto and Henry all track back and work hard to get the ball back, Nani Berbatove and Ronaldo don't.

Barca's midfield will destroy Man Utds. Biggest thing is, Messi Eto and Henry all track back and work hard to get the ball back, Nani Berbatove and Ronaldo don't.

eh? Berbatov was back in his own penalty area in open play (as in not defending a set-piece) at 3-0!!!

2 of them won't start, 1 is incorrect. :lol:

Barca aren't this amazing fucking super team that everyone makes them out to be.