The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

Roy Hodgson makes a valid point regarding refs from "minor nations"

Hodgson said: "Do you want to go down the Redknapp route - only England, Italy and Spain count?"

"There's 60 countries in Europe. Do we say to the other 57: 'Sorry pal, you're not Premier League'."

Hodgson, who managed Viking FK in Norway in 2004-5, added: "Norway is good enough. The average crowd in Norway is 15,000 and that's in a country of 4m. We can only average 25,000 in a country of 60m people.

"What are we going to do in future? Are we going to make certain because the Premier League has Sky Sports behind them and loads and loads of money if you are not in England then forget all about it?

"Are we going to say 'You're from Spain, you might be just about okay but the rest of you, Switzerland, France, Poland, Russia, Austria, Ukraine, Slovenia, Serbia, you don't count?' It's nonsense."

I was thinking when Souness was ranting, that the referee can't help where he's from. Anders Frisk was a very highly respected referee, from a 'minor country'

Easy excuse IMO

Roy Hodgson makes a valid point regarding refs from "minor nations"

Hodgson said: "Do you want to go down the Redknapp route - only England, Italy and Spain count?"

"There's 60 countries in Europe. Do we say to the other 57: 'Sorry pal, you're not Premier League'."

Hodgson, who managed Viking FK in Norway in 2004-5, added: "Norway is good enough. The average crowd in Norway is 15,000 and that's in a country of 4m. We can only average 25,000 in a country of 60m people.

"What are we going to do in future? Are we going to make certain because the Premier League has Sky Sports behind them and loads and loads of money if you are not in England then forget all about it?

"Are we going to say 'You're from Spain, you might be just about okay but the rest of you, Switzerland, France, Poland, Russia, Austria, Ukraine, Slovenia, Serbia, you don't count?' It's nonsense."

Aye it's a good point, an obvious one however and anyone that argues the point that Redknapp is making is completely deluded and fucking diabolically stupid.

Would love to visit Preston's ground sometime, hopefully we'll both be in the Prem next year

I went there in pre-season.

It's much the same as all the other new-build, one tier grounds that have sprung up in the last ten years with the exception of the snazzy floodlights. I suppose it's got the Football Museum as well if you want to make a day of it.

It's not far from the town centre which is handy but Preston itself is rubbish.

Guest Heneage

Jon Parking and Neil Mellor have got to be the fattest striking partenership in Play-off history.

I remember when Neil Mellor was supposed to be the next Michael Owen. :lol:

That goal against Arsenal springs to mind. He's had bad luck with injuries, so really he is the next Michael Owen.:lol:

Decent game this, am I right in saying there's no away goals rule in this.

Would love to visit Preston's ground sometime, hopefully we'll both be in the Prem next year

I went there in pre-season.

It's much the same as all the other new-build, one tier grounds that have sprung up in the last ten years with the exception of the snazzy floodlights. I suppose it's got the Football Museum as well if you want to make a day of it.

It's not far from the town centre which is handy but Preston itself is rubbish.

Aye, Preston is shit, bit of a Stoke clone the town centre is and also the ground is pretty dam boring, were building a new bit on one side when i went.

Also the footbal museum is very very good. Loved it, wasted hours in there!

Jon Parking and Neil Mellor have got to be the fattest striking partenership in Play-off history.

I remember when Neil Mellor was supposed to be the next Michael Owen. :lol:

Not much difference between them now. :(

I know he's not our player but you shouldn't insult Neil Mellor like that :lol:

Guest Heneage

Lupoli :lol:

Wannabe Maradona in the making I see

Always looked decent at Arsenal, but wasn't surprised to see him go back to Italy, I was surprised it was with Fiorentina mind, I thought he might go Serie B first, or lower level Serie A with a loan down to gain experience.

We could do worse than taking a closer look at Preston's keeper Andrew Lonergan. The few times I've seen them this season he's been great. He looks like he's a real commanding keeper...

Our back four wouldn't know what do do with a commanding keeper, can't remember ever having one.

I'm at Fulham/Villa tomorrow - does anyone know what the 'neutral section' is like?

If it's a club with a half decent following then it  just becomes an extension of the away end apart from the occasional bemused foreigner. So I imagine you'll be sitting with a load of brummies tomorrow.