Cockney Mafia Out! Banner

Guest BooBoo

Guest bertiemasson

The banner just makes us look thick as mince and won't achieve anything. Supporters should concentrate on supporting the team to get them through the match at hand.

Agree in some sense - but do you really care what people think? - I couldnt give a fck - you know the media will jump on out we do - the fckin Boycoutt banner made us look thick as fck ;)

Just reading throught the posts since last on, in a quieter moment, I've had a bit on my mind this week! Answers to a couple of the questions asked. Indie, I would love to be able to take the big flag to the match at the weekend, or someone else, re present circumstances, but, as soon as John Hall gained control of the club it was banned straight away from the ground, also we took it to Barcelona the first game on a charter flight I had on, the flight was full of ticketless fans as at the time if you did not travel with the club you did not get a match ticket, my flight was full because it was nearly half the price of the club travel, and when tickets were not forthcoming I confronted John Hall/Douglas/Freddie Fletcher outside the stadium and me and the lads dumped it on the pavement outside the Nou Camp in disgust as a form of protest at the treatment we recieved. A bit daft really, but you may have noticed i'm prone to a bit of daftness now and again. I did write a more detailed explanation in The Mag a few years ag entitled, 'The Day The Big Flag Died'.

Ozzie, comment from 'the chump', I was not trying to infer I was better fan then anyone else by mentioning my time I had spent following The Toon or matches missed, it was merely a bit of background about me.

Luca Alteri, you are right about my behaviour at Hull. Hav'nt done to bad in the past though.

Fading Star, 'Mafia' might have been a good choice of word considering the criminal way in which Ashley is running the club.

To those suggesting I cost the team a goal or points at home against Hull, I was'nt actually playing that day, when I did play I was always taught to keep my eye on the ball. Also, the truth of it is, and I do try to be honest, when me and my Dad and Paul got the banner out that day, our intention was only to stand at the front of the East stand with it, but as we walked down with it, I was going to say everyone, but after being on here obviously not, start to stand and applaud so we moved around as the fans stood up.

Regards,

Keith Barrett

People should be applauded for their honest thoughts and not called tools / knobs etc just shows how fckin stupid and immature some of our fickle fans are.

well done Keith!

What if your honest thought is that someone is a tool / knob etc?

Guest bertiemasson

Just reading throught the posts since last on, in a quieter moment, I've had a bit on my mind this week! Answers to a couple of the questions asked. Indie, I would love to be able to take the big flag to the match at the weekend, or someone else, re present circumstances, but, as soon as John Hall gained control of the club it was banned straight away from the ground, also we took it to Barcelona the first game on a charter flight I had on, the flight was full of ticketless fans as at the time if you did not travel with the club you did not get a match ticket, my flight was full because it was nearly half the price of the club travel, and when tickets were not forthcoming I confronted John Hall/Douglas/Freddie Fletcher outside the stadium and me and the lads dumped it on the pavement outside the Nou Camp in disgust as a form of protest at the treatment we recieved. A bit daft really, but you may have noticed i'm prone to a bit of daftness now and again. I did write a more detailed explanation in The Mag a few years ag entitled, 'The Day The Big Flag Died'.

Ozzie, comment from 'the chump', I was not trying to infer I was better fan then anyone else by mentioning my time I had spent following The Toon or matches missed, it was merely a bit of background about me.

Luca Alteri, you are right about my behaviour at Hull. Hav'nt done to bad in the past though.

Fading Star, 'Mafia' might have been a good choice of word considering the criminal way in which Ashley is running the club.

To those suggesting I cost the team a goal or points at home against Hull, I was'nt actually playing that day, when I did play I was always taught to keep my eye on the ball. Also, the truth of it is, and I do try to be honest, when me and my Dad and Paul got the banner out that day, our intention was only to stand at the front of the East stand with it, but as we walked down with it, I was going to say everyone, but after being on here obviously not, start to stand and applaud so we moved around as the fans stood up.

Regards,

Keith Barrett

People should be applauded for their honest thoughts and not called tools / knobs etc just shows how fckin stupid and immature some of our fickle fans are.

well done Keith!

Then cant argue with that  :rolleyes:

Guest toonlass

Regards,

Keith Barrett

well done Keith!

Depends on if you are basing it on actual knowledge of someone or if you are basing it on hearsay or limited knowledge of the person. If you have spent time getting to know someone and think they are a knob/tool then fair enough.

Guest Howaythetoon

The banner just makes us look thick as mince and won't achieve anything. Supporters should concentrate on supporting the team to get them through the match at hand.

I don't get this thinking me. Thick as mince to who and since when do fans care what others think about? I don't and nor should anyone else. We're not LFC fans who need to be loved and and respected for some strange reason, in fact I know why, to validate themselves. Another thing, I honestly doubt anyone registered a flicker of emotion regarding that banner outside of Newcastle, certainly not the cockneys I know most thought it was funny and harmless.

For me the pissy whinging element of reaction to it is embarrassing, small minded and tantamount to thick as mince.

The real reason why some are against it is because they don't agree with the sentiment behind it, it has fuck all to do with being embarrassed, fuck all. That's just an excuse.

Embarrassed by a few words?

To those suggesting I cost the team a goal or points at home against Hull, I was'nt actually playing that day, when I did play I was always taught to keep my eye on the ball.

You could argue though that if a good home support is worth a goal start, then something having a negative impact on the atmosphere, ie, the fans being distracted clapping at the banner rather than support the team, could cost a goal?

Guest Howaythetoon

People still aren't peddling this shit about the banner being to blame or partly to blame for the Hull defeat are they?! :lol:

How did nearly the whole stadium standing and applauding affect the players in a negative way? And why did that effect last for three games? Seems a bit odd to me.

We'll be beaten like we did at West Ham by worse teams than that in the future, and have done in the past, while we probably played better against Blackburn (second-half anyway) than what we did in the Bolton game before the banner.

People still aren't peddling this s*** about the banner being to blame or partly to blame for the Hull defeat are they?! :lol:

Aye, Hull beat Arsenal because of high balls into the box, we got beat because of Barretts banner.

REMEMBER: Chirs "HUNTLEY" Houghton was in charge.

It was quite obviously distracting for the players, maybe it wasn't obvious inside the ground (because your attention was elsewhere, perhaps?), but on the TV footage you can clearly see that the players were put off by it and it coincided with an extra-specially shit period of their performance. No-one is saying that the banner is the only reason that we lost the game, but it certainly didn't help and surely that's the opposite of what the fans' contribution should be?

To turn a question around:

Are people still aren't peddling this shit about the fans' actions having absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the Hull defeat are they?! :lol:

Do the same people never talk about away games being harder than home games or complain about the poor atmosphere at SJP? Do they fuck!

Guest toonlass

It was quite obviously distracting for the players, maybe it wasn't obvious inside the ground (because your attention was elsewhere, perhaps?), but on the TV footage you can clearly see that the players were put off by it and it coincided with an extra-specially shit period of their performance. No-one is saying that the banner is the only reason that we lost the game, but it certainly didn't help and surely that's the opposite of what the fans' contribution should be?

Are people still aren't peddling this shit about the fans' actions having absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the Hull defeat are they?! :lol:

Do the same people never talk about away games being harder than home games or complain about the poor atmosphere at SJP? Do they fuck!

As I was in the ground and so it wasn't obvious to me (as maybe my attention was elsewhere), HOW was it distracting to the players? Are they not professional enough to get on with playing a game of football while a banner is walked around a ground? The banner had no effect on the game, the fact that Keegan had walked earlier in the week and the club was up in the air, with the players as confused about it all as anyone else had a major effect on the game, and the fact that we underestimated Hull had a major effect on the game. A banner saying "Cockney Mafia Out" has no direct impact on how we performed on that day!

As I was in the ground and so it wasn't obvious to me (as maybe my attention was elsewhere), HOW was it distracting to the players? Are they not professional enough to get on with playing a game of football while a banner is walked around a ground? The banner had no effect on the game, the fact that Keegan had walked earlier in the week and the club was up in the air, with the players as confused about it all as anyone else had a major effect on the game, and the fact that we underestimated Hull had a major effect on the game. A banner saying "Cockney Mafia Out" has no direct impact on how we performed on that day!

I think it did distract some of the players - certainly Given. I sat in the Leazes and watched Given staring at the banner, wondering what the commotion was all about. The noise levels crew as it made it's way towards the dugouts/media area and the crowd lost interest in the game imho. It was an unwelcome distraction and while you can't prove it was responsible for the defeat, it certainly didn't help.

The timing of it was poor too. Bringing it out right at the start of the second half in a game we're already trailing in was ridiculous.

I can understand why he felt the need to protest but I wish he'd have kept it in his bag during the game.

Guest toonlass

I think it did distract some of the players - certainly Given. I sat in the Leazes and watched Given staring at the banner, wondering what the commotion was all about. The noise levels crew as it made it's way towards the dugouts/media area and the crowd lost interest in the game imho. It was an unwelcome distraction and while you can't prove it was responsible for the defeat, it certainly didn't help.

The timing of it was poor too. Bringing it out right at the start of the second half in a game we're already trailing in was ridiculous.

I can understand why he felt the need to protest but I wish he'd have kept it in his bag during the game.

Well that is not the banners fault. Given should have been concentrating on the game despite what was going on in the crowd. He is paid to play football not watch a banner.

Well i'd have thought that it was pretty obvious to anyone watching our team over the last few seasons that the players simply aren't professional enough to ignore something like that.

Unprofessionalism as a defense of the banner ffs :lol:

No one retains 100% concentration.  No one. 

And people are generally pretty aware of their surroundings.  Given noticing a banner causing a huge commotion in the crowd is hardly a damning indictment against him and only reinforces the point that A DISTRACTION IS DISTRACTING.

Fucking hell. 

Guest toonlass

And people are generally pretty aware of their surroundings.  Given noticing a banner causing a huge commotion in the crowd is hardly a damning indictment against him and only reinforces the point that A DISTRACTION IS DISTRACTING.

Fucking hell. 

You missed my irony there Thomas. Blaming the banner on our loss against Hull is just shite. We lost because they scored more than we did. Why did it not distract the Hull players too then?

Fucking hell. 

You missed my irony there Thomas. Blaming the banner on our loss against Hull is just shite. We lost because they scored more than we did. Why did it not distract the Hull players too then?

Saying it's a distraction and couldn't have helped, and blaming the entire loss, are two separate things.

And I'm sure the Hull players did notice it, did acknowledge it, but didn't give it as much thought or have it affect them as much as the players of the team seeing their own fans cart that around.  Surely you can understand and see that it would affect both sets of players differently?

Guest toonlass

Fucking hell. 

Saying it's a distraction and couldn't have helped, and blaming the entire loss, are two separate things.

And I'm sure the Hull players did notice it, did acknowledge it, but didn't give it as much thought or have it affect them as much as the players of the team seeing their own fans cart that around.  Surely you can understand and see that it would affect both sets of players differently?

But it shouldn't have. Our players should concentrate on what is happening on the pitch. I don't think any of our players heads were in the right place after the week that had just happened and that contributed more to the events on the pitch. At the end of the day its a banner. It doesn't win or lose us games, and it shouldn't be what the players are looking at in a game.

What is it with some people's complete inability to understand simple english!?! Noone is saying the banner is totally at fault for what happened against hull. What people are saying is that it was one of many things that contributed to what happened against hull. One that didn't need to be there and one that goes against the whole ethos of what being a supporter of a football team is all about. Fans should be doing whatever they can to help the team win games as little as that might be. Not the opposite!!!

Guest toonlass

What is it with some people's complete inability to understand simple english!?! Noone is saying the banner is totally at fault for what happened against hull. What people are saying is that it was one of many things that contributed to what happened against hull. One that didn't need to be there and one that goes against the whole ethos of what being a supporter of a football team is all about. Fans should be doing whatever they can to help the team win games as little as that might be. Not the opposite!!!

That is bollocks for a start. Where does it say that you cannot present your anger as a football fan? Are we supposed to just sit there and take it, no matter what? As a whole our fans are crap when it comes to getting behind the team on a match day. You have little pockets of fans (and now the singing corner) who are prepared to sing and shout, but the majority of the ground is just happy to sit there and whinge (or occassionally punch the bloke in front of them). I agree that the fans of Newcastle should be doing more to help the team, but if one banner actually gets a response from the people who usually sigh and tut then christ, its done more than the football on the pitch has done all season.