Cockney Mafia Out! Banner

Guest BooBoo

Guest sittingontheball

My questions remain;

Why doesnt the banner say 'Ashley out!'? (cost has been mentioned, they made the banner in haste at great expense and cant change it now?)

Do you think using regionalist language, in a business that is truly globalised, make us geordies sound like small minded-twats? (its further cemented the media cliches about the support at least)

The biggest t*** of this story is the bloke who had a go at Keith, instead of just expressing the above two points in an adult-like manner. 

I'll agree with all of that. I said earlier that I thought it was a wording problem and that is basically what I meant. If you don't mind Ashley, Wise, Llambiarse or whoever being Cockneys, why refer to them as Cockneys and not by name?

It is clear that Ashley got the message from the protests, the banner included, and instantly put the club up for sale. In that sense, the protests genuinely succeeded.  The bigger problem then though is who is going to come in and buy the club to rid us of Ashley and his crew. We are looking for a new owner, someone who is going to take a punt with their own cash or cash they are responsible for, not a new appointment like a Chairman who'll come at no personal risk if the terms are good. Its a much different situation to "sack the manager" or "sack the board". There is more need for the club to be seen in a favourable light, especially now other football teams are coming up for sale. Note that I don't blame the banner or any specific fans' action for the club failing to be sold. I just think that blaming Cockneys or a Cockney mafia even is counterproductive if you want Ashley out, that is, someone else coming and buying the club off Ashley.

Wording something badly in the heat of the moment is not a big mistake, and it is sad when things get out of hand like the other day by the sounds. I hope the matter is dealt with sensibly. We're all just tired and frustrated and want the club to stop disappointing us.

Guest LucaAltieri

...'Barrett is a tool' I believe is one of the comments posted, very constructive, and to defend myself from comments like the previous...

Aye, because the banner is really constructive.

"I know, let's try and drive out the bloke with the money! That'll help the club."

It's not like you were calling for the sacking of a manager, a chairman, or executives... you want to tell all of them and the bloke who legally owns the club to do one.  :lol:

How exactly is trying to force the sale of the club even remotely helpful?

You might not like the "Barrett is a tool" bit but in fairness you haven't exactly covered yourself in glory through your behaviour, have you?

That post really sums up the constant "make as much trouble as possible" attitude of you and your cronies. No I didn't tell him that but thanks for doing it for me you sh*t stirring dick.

None of the other embarrassments you've dragged up resulted in loyal Newcastle fans turning on each other, so yes it was one of the lowest points in a lifetime supporting the club.

:D What a daft old fucker. :D

Love the reply. I couldn't have put it better myself. ;D

It really sums up the intellect of NUSC when confronted with an opinion which doesn't fit their dogmatic narrow agenda.

Not quite as funny as the leaflet distributor outside SJP who, when I declined a leaflet, said "so you're not a Newcastle fan are you ?"   :rolleyes:

Keep 'em coming.

That post really sums up the constant "make as much trouble as possible" attitude of you and your cronies. No I didn't tell him that but thanks for doing it for me you sh*t stirring dick.

None of the other embarrassments you've dragged up resulted in loyal Newcastle fans turning on each other, so yes it was one of the lowest points in a lifetime supporting the club.

It really sums up the intellect of NUSC when confronted with an opinion which doesn't fit their dogmatic narrow agenda.

Not quite as funny as the leaflet distributor outside SJP who, when I declined a leaflet, said "so you're not a Newcastle fan are you ?"   :rolleyes:

Keep 'em coming.

fuckin hell :lol:

Keep 'em coming.

:rolleyes:

Got this article off the newsnow who got it from Talkofthetyne and it has got some good points in it.

The Future Freaks Me Out

By Ian Smith - 05/01/2009 10:37

At half time during the Hull match two guys unrolled the "Cockney Mafia Out" banner right in front of me. One of the guys had the same message stuck to his forehead.

I'm all for freedom of speech but lets be honest for a moment the whole "Cockney Mafia" line was an embarrassment when it was used the first time. Not least because Mike Ashley isn't even a cockney!

I think it is obvious that Newcastle United supporters are not happy right now. It's easy to say "I'm not going" or "The fat man is having no more of my money". Well good luck to you if that is your choice. That doesn't mean those who don't share that view are quote: "Ashley sympathisers".

What that does mean is that Newcastle United have loyal fans. Supporters who are sticking by their team through thick and thin. No matter how thin it gets there are plenty who will watch and support Newcastle United. Please let's not get that confused with some kind of Ashley loyalism. It simply isn't true.

Let's look at our options shall we. Bearing in mind that Mike Ashley clearly cannot find a buyer what do people want? The way I see it is that Mike Ashley had two options:

1. Mike Ashley, cannot find a buyer, washes his hands of the club and lets it rot.

2. Mike Ashley, cannot find a buyer, makes a statement saying he will try to turn things round as Newcastle is still his responsibility.

Just remember the key part of all this. Mike Ashley CANNOT FIND A BUYER. We should be grateful for small mercies right now and the fact Ashley picked number 2 leaves us in a slightly better situation that if he'd chosen number 1.

Now while every Newcastle supporter wishes there was a buyer we have to accept that there isn't one out there and therefore we have to adjust our response accordingly.

Just what are more protests going to achieve when there is NO BUYER?

I'm not saying we all have to love Mike Ashley but let's see if he can stick by his word during January before we start getting irate about it all again. The fact is he is going nowhere and there really is no alternative. We've tried that. Let's be honest about one more thing while we're at it. If the team start winning again then no one will care that Ashley is the owner.

No one is expecting silly money to be spent. A few million in each transfer window and some steady progress upwards would appease most supporters. If we consistently challenged for a European place I dare say the majority of fans would be happy and St James's Park will be sold out again. We're actually quite easily pleased and the media myth that we demand success is actually a fallacy.

I guess I just don't see what any more protests will do anyway? We've all bought our season tickets so the club has our money anyway. If you want to cancel then that is your right at the end of the season and without sounding critical to anyone who makes that choice, good riddance.

I'm strongly of the opinion that we have some of the most idiotic supporters in the country. I'll give you some examples.

-Last season some cheered and applauded Peter Crouch when he scored against us.

-This season Gerrard got applauded for his excellent display (fine and very sporting) but then the same people will happily boo our own players.

-Giving ole's when we were 5-1 down to Liverpool, sorry but I don't see the amusement there at all.

This type of reaction is detrimental to the club and team and why anyone would want to make a bad situation worse is beyond me. There is a way of showing dissatisfaction and booing and ironically "ole-ing" isn't it I'm afraid.

Let's look at our best performers this season. I think most supporters would list Bassong top of the pile with Jonas, Colocinni and Guthrie also impressing more often than not. Of course Given and Beye join those but look who brought those other four in. The "Cockney Mafia". The youth team is also riding high which suggests that all is not failing in player recruitment. Clearly there was a issue of trust and power with KK leaving the way he did and most would support Keegan for his reasons for leaving, and most other Premier League managers would have done the same as Keegan I have no doubt. The set up needs to change, we all agree to that.

If the manager had a team of scouts that reported to him then we're less likely to have another KK situation or a puppet manager. This is an essential change Mike Ashley must make if he is to turn things round. The abuse offered toward Dennis Wise has always struck me as being more about his role as opposed to it being Dennis Wise. The press were the one's who started the Dennis Wise hate campaign and we all, to differing extents, fell for it when KK left. If Dennis Wise wants to carry on looking for youngsters and being a general scout for the club then fine. However his job description has to change.

I still maintain that up until the transfer window closing most people were happy with the direction of the club and most were optimistic of a bright future. For whatever reason not enough players were brought in and this led to the underwhelming panic buys of Xisco and Gonzalez, we assume, behind KK's back.

Now here is the thing. It appears that when the time and effort was put in to searching for players we bought relatively well. Consider our mid table finishes of previous seasons the personnel was definitely improving the squad. For some reason we didn't bring enough in and that is the other part of the issue. Mike Ashley has to build up a paper thin squad and quickly but not with panic buys as seen at the end of last summers transfer window.

To do this he needs to bring in a permanent manager. He must not make Joe Kinnear the full time boss should he keep us up. If we do survive this season it should be a case of "Thanks for the good work steadying the ship Joe but off you go". Whoever is appointed must be backed and be allowed to make his own decisions otherwise we'll have another repeat of the last five months.

For now then we're stuck with Ashley and two guys pulling out a "Cockney Mafia Out" banner at Hull isn't going to change that. It spoke volumes to me that to a man everyone around me felt the same embarrassment when they pulled the banner out. The time has passed for that kind of protest.....at least for the time being. Most supporters just want to get through this season. We have to now give Ashley, at least, until the end of January to see if he sticks by his word and probably until the summer.

Everyone deserves a second chance right? Or perhaps our hands are tied and there is little we can do other than hope and pray Ashley turns things around.

The one thing all Newcastle supporters can agree on is that they are all worried about the future and that there are more questions than answers right now. It is an unprecedented situation we're in and knowing what to do is difficult.

It may feel good to be a dissenting voice and that you have some sort of moral high ground on the supporters who, appear at least, to be following blindly a club that is heading in the wrong direction.

The truth is these supporters who are staying loyal through the thinnest of times are probably hurting a damn site more right now.

Keith Barrett here joining in with your forum. I am one of the 'thick' blokes with the 'Cockney Mafia out' banner. I do not think I represent anyone but myself, I am not a member of NUSC, and I do not wish to be on the telly, despite numerous requests since my mate Graham Robson and I made the giant 'Howay The Lads' flag some years ago.That giant flag took a lot of time, money and effort. The 'Cockney Mafia Out' banner was bought by myself and has been held aloft at various games by me, my 79 year old Dad, my friends Paul Fenning and Bernie Kane. You will notice there are no nicknames here as used by writers on this forum, that's who we are. I first went to St.James's Park in 1962, Plymouth Argyle at home 0-0,  I follow my team home and away and have only missed three games in the last seventeen years, these were friendlies. I ran Toon Travel for fifeteen and a half years, providing coaches, trains or planes to every game in that time at a cheaper cost than the club, if they even bothered to put anything on. Whilst running Toon Travel I was also trying to run my haulage business which eventually failed, due somewhat to my travel commitments. My marriage to my southern born wife has also failed, this was down totally to my commitment to Newcastle United and not her. Thats a bit of background about me.

The 'Cockney Mafia Out' banner. I fully appreciate that not every Newcastle United fan shares the same view as me, the banner is not aimed at Cockney's in general, I have many Cockney friends, I also fully appreciate that Mike Ashley and Dennis Wise were not born within the sound of Bow bells so they are not 'true' cockneys, ( I could not afford to have Buckinghamshire and Kensington put on the banner, it cost me a hundred pound as it is). I had it made to express my feelings about the people who run our club. I don't want them there, I don't trust them, I think they have shown there true colours, I think they are con men. Dennis Wise was a horrible obnoxious player on the pitch, that everbody hated, he has no affinity with Newcastle United whatsoever.. Mike Ashley has shown contempt for the fans and presumably thinks he can worm his way back into our hearts, he was never in my heart, I do not remember seeing him on the terraces at Plymouth, Shrewsbury or Whrexham supporting the team, he, in my opinion is a con man. Now, I know I have left myself wide open to critisism that previous or future owners have not or will not stand on the terraces, but, I have, Newcastle United have been a major part of my life for forty odd years, I love Newcastle United and the fans, we are adifferent people to anybody else in the country, or used to be at least. I don't want someone who does not understand what Newcastle United means to its supporters dictaing to the fans. He had a choice a while ago, Kevin Keegan, who has his faults, or Dennis Wise, Keegan the man who brought the best football to Newcastle United seen in living memory, when left to his own devices, or Wise, a man with no Newcastle United  connection at all. The majority wanted Keegan, he chose Wise. He alienated himself.I don't want him in charge. I am only a fan like everyone else, but, that is my opinion. Now, if people have a different opinion, fine, it is a free world, sort of, express it, go out and buy banners with' I love Mike Ashley' or 'Cockneys are great' put whatever you want on. You be you and I will be me.

Yesterday at Hull. People seem interested as to what happened regarding the banner at Hull yesterday, I will put forward my point of view. At half time, when the players were not on the pitch, obviously, my friend Bernie Kane and I held aloft the banner, some bloke came down and started abusing Bernie, we had words, I said I understood that he had a different opinion but would he leave my banner alone, I shook hands with him, I hope this was captured on cctv as were later events, and I also said as I have said above if he feels so strongly about Ashley, go and get his own banner, this seemed to confuse him. At the end of the game me and Bernie, and Jordon from the Ultras young'uns held up the banner again, the arsewipe appeared again and shouted abuse at me, various things, one of them being 'Barrett, You are a cocksucker', now I do not go around verbally abusing other people and at the age of 52 I do not expect to be abused in that manner, I also defy any man not to snap when subjected to abuse, some have shorter fuses than others, I snapped, I threw three punches at him, I know it was three because the police showed me on video afterwards, not very good punches as I only scuffed his chin with the first one, mind you he was about 6ft 4ins and standing on the step above me, I must improve my technique. Thats what happened. According to the law I should not have done it, in my book he deserved it. I was arrested and charged while he walks away scot free. That's life. I am now banned from the West Ham game next week and face a far longer ban if the Police have there way and I am found guilty later in the month. I am sure this will greatly please some of your members.

I have posted on here to explain the banner to people that do not know me very well, 'Barrett is a tool' I believe is one of the comments posted, very constructive, and to defend myself from comments like the previous. Everything I have done regarding the fans of Newcastle United has been done with a good heart, the travel, the flags, the bands, (Mungo Jerry, Happy Cats) the daft records we made for the cup finals, everything. I love Newcastle United! Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Keith Barrett

Support the Toon, it's your Duty !

I

You should expect grief for the banner since there's a split whether it should be there or not, and you should be able to hold your temper when approached by people, swearing and insulting, you've got to do it.

If you get banned for life (and probably rightly so for a violent act in a football stadium) then you've only got yourself to blame, but the last thing the club needs is to lose a seasoned fan in the stands no matter what their opinion is.

Got this article off the newsnow who got it from Talkofthetyne and it has got some good points in it.

The Future Freaks Me Out

At half time during the Hull match two guys unrolled the "Cockney Mafia Out" banner right in front of me. One of the guys had the same message stuck to his forehead.

I'm all for freedom of speech but lets be honest for a moment the whole "Cockney Mafia" line was an embarrassment when it was used the first time. Not least because Mike Ashley isn't even a cockney!

I think it is obvious that Newcastle United supporters are not happy right now. It's easy to say "I'm not going" or "The fat man is having no more of my money". Well good luck to you if that is your choice. That doesn't mean those who don't share that view are quote: "Ashley sympathisers".

What that does mean is that Newcastle United have loyal fans. Supporters who are sticking by their team through thick and thin. No matter how thin it gets there are plenty who will watch and support Newcastle United. Please let's not get that confused with some kind of Ashley loyalism. It simply isn't true.

Let's look at our options shall we. Bearing in mind that Mike Ashley clearly cannot find a buyer what do people want? The way I see it is that Mike Ashley had two options:

1. Mike Ashley, cannot find a buyer, washes his hands of the club and lets it rot.

2. Mike Ashley, cannot find a buyer, makes a statement saying he will try to turn things round as Newcastle is still his responsibility.

Just remember the key part of all this. Mike Ashley CANNOT FIND A BUYER. We should be grateful for small mercies right now and the fact Ashley picked number 2 leaves us in a slightly better situation that if he'd chosen number 1.

Now while every Newcastle supporter wishes there was a buyer we have to accept that there isn't one out there and therefore we have to adjust our response accordingly.

I'm not saying we all have to love Mike Ashley but let's see if he can stick by his word during January before we start getting irate about it all again. The fact is he is going nowhere and there really is no alternative. We've tried that. Let's be honest about one more thing while we're at it. If the team start winning again then no one will care that Ashley is the owner.

No one is expecting silly money to be spent. A few million in each transfer window and some steady progress upwards would appease most supporters. If we consistently challenged for a European place I dare say the majority of fans would be happy and St James's Park will be sold out again. We're actually quite easily pleased and the media myth that we demand success is actually a fallacy.

I guess I just don't see what any more protests will do anyway? We've all bought our season tickets so the club has our money anyway. If you want to cancel then that is your right at the end of the season and without sounding critical to anyone who makes that choice, good riddance.

I'm strongly of the opinion that we have some of the most idiotic supporters in the country. I'll give you some examples.

-This season Gerrard got applauded for his excellent display (fine and very sporting) but then the same people will happily boo our own players.

-Giving ole's when we were 5-1 down to Liverpool, sorry but I don't see the amusement there at all.

This type of reaction is detrimental to the club and team and why anyone would want to make a bad situation worse is beyond me. There is a way of showing dissatisfaction and booing and ironically "ole-ing" isn't it I'm afraid.

Let's look at our best performers this season. I think most supporters would list Bassong top of the pile with Jonas, Colocinni and Guthrie also impressing more often than not. Of course Given and Beye join those but look who brought those other four in. The "Cockney Mafia". The youth team is also riding high which suggests that all is not failing in player recruitment. Clearly there was a issue of trust and power with KK leaving the way he did and most would support Keegan for his reasons for leaving, and most other Premier League managers would have done the same as Keegan I have no doubt. The set up needs to change, we all agree to that.

If the manager had a team of scouts that reported to him then we're less likely to have another KK situation or a puppet manager. This is an essential change Mike Ashley must make if he is to turn things round. The abuse offered toward Dennis Wise has always struck me as being more about his role as opposed to it being Dennis Wise. The press were the one's who started the Dennis Wise hate campaign and we all, to differing extents, fell for it when KK left. If Dennis Wise wants to carry on looking for youngsters and being a general scout for the club then fine. However his job description has to change.

I still maintain that up until the transfer window closing most people were happy with the direction of the club and most were optimistic of a bright future. For whatever reason not enough players were brought in and this led to the underwhelming panic buys of Xisco and Gonzalez, we assume, behind KK's back.

Now here is the thing. It appears that when the time and effort was put in to searching for players we bought relatively well. Consider our mid table finishes of previous seasons the personnel was definitely improving the squad. For some reason we didn't bring enough in and that is the other part of the issue. Mike Ashley has to build up a paper thin squad and quickly but not with panic buys as seen at the end of last summers transfer window.

To do this he needs to bring in a permanent manager. He must not make Joe Kinnear the full time boss should he keep us up. If we do survive this season it should be a case of "Thanks for the good work steadying the ship Joe but off you go". Whoever is appointed must be backed and be allowed to make his own decisions otherwise we'll have another repeat of the last five months.

For now then we're stuck with Ashley and two guys pulling out a "Cockney Mafia Out" banner at Hull isn't going to change that. It spoke volumes to me that to a man everyone around me felt the same embarrassment when they pulled the banner out. The time has passed for that kind of protest.....at least for the time being. Most supporters just want to get through this season. We have to now give Ashley, at least, until the end of January to see if he sticks by his word and probably until the summer.

Everyone deserves a second chance right? Or perhaps our hands are tied and there is little we can do other than hope and pray Ashley turns things around.

The one thing all Newcastle supporters can agree on is that they are all worried about the future and that there are more questions than answers right now. It is an unprecedented situation we're in and knowing what to do is difficult.

It may feel good to be a dissenting voice and that you have some sort of moral high ground on the supporters who, appear at least, to be following blindly a club that is heading in the wrong direction.

The truth is these supporters who are staying loyal through the thinnest of times are probably hurting a damn site more right now.

That has to be the best and most level headed synopsis of what is happening to our club for a long long time.

3. Mike Ashley, cannot find a buyer, makes a statement saying he will try to turn things round as Newcastle is still his responsibility and then refuses to spend any more money and in fact approaches the transfer window as a chance to make a profit regardless of damage to squad.

Just do the protesting outside if it has to be done, dont bring it in the ground when we have to fight for 3 pts.

The wording of the banner could be better.

As HTT has already said, the banner is pretty harmless, its not that offensive and singling out cockneys is not going to upset that many people. Most London fans probably laugh at the banner. Thats not the point, its makes us look small-minded, has further damaged our reputation in the press and doesnt address the reality of the financial crisis in its continued assertion that the current owner should leave.

Just do the protesting outside if it has to be done, dont bring it in the ground when we have to fight for 3 pts.

As HTT has already said, the banner is pretty harmless, its not that offensive and singling out cockneys is not going to upset that many people. Most London fans probably laugh at the banner. Thats not the point, its makes us look small-minded, has further damaged our reputation in the press and doesnt address the reality of the financial crisis in its continued assertion that the current owner should leave.

Hence, why i said it could have been worded better.

It's a good point about London fans - I there is lot on here who have taken offence in the same way that middle class guardianistas take some kind of imagined offence on behalf of Muslims on things like xmas lights.

I don't think anyone has thought "Wow those Geordies are insular" - at worst I'd say it confirms a stereotype they already have which is to a large extent true.  I don't see anything that any fans could do to combat that stereotype in the same way that Man U fans can't stop people saying they're cockneys or that Millwall fans are all nutters.

Having said that I'm sure that people like Rob Lee, Les Ferdinand and Malcolm MacDonald could all point to how well they were welcomed and show that the message isn't as nasty as people are trying to imply - especially given Keith's post.

The Future Freaks Me Out

Excellent post.  Far too much well reasoned sense to be acceptable to some around here mind.

The Future Freaks Me Out

Good read, I don't bother with Talkofthetyne but I might take more interest if articles are that good. O0

A fair, balanced opinion from someone who's not trying to force their agenda down your throat.

Guest Celebrity Fan

Correct sentiment, wrongly worded.

Simple as that. I'm sure in hindsight Mr Barrett would probably change the content but once you've forked out, you're not going to do it again.

Guest toonlass

Why anyone thinks they have the right to verbally abuse someone because of a banner that has been made is beyond me though. Ok, if you don't like it, go and make a one of your own putting your point across. No-one has the right to call someone abusive names just because they have a differing point of view.

Guest fading star

But NUFC supporters aren’t small minded. The opinion of people who get their knickers in a twist over a piss taking banner at a football match aren’t worth bothering with.

I don’t know Keith but he should be able to express his views without fear of harassment.

Why anyone thinks they have the right to verbally abuse someone because of a banner that has been made is beyond me though. Ok, if you don't like it, go and make a one of your own putting your point across. No-one has the right to call someone abusive names just because they have a differing point of view.

I don't think anyone is defending the guy who Keith ended up punching, but you can't use that as an excuse for what Keith did. It's simply unacceptable, particularly towards your FELLOW NUFC supporters.

Guest toonlass

I don't think anyone is defending the guy who Keith ended up punching, but you can't use that as an excuse for what Keith did. It's simply unacceptable, particularly towards your FELLOW NUFC supporters.

Oh I agree, there is no excuse for physical violence, but why does someone think its ok to get into someone's face and call them abusive names over a banner?

Oh I agree, there is no excuse for physical violence, but why does someone think its ok to get into someone's face and call them abusive names over a banner?

Because people simply don't appreciate the fact that it is being aired to the world - If I'd seen it, I would have stood right infront of it to block it out. I don't mind that people have an opinion on the matter and want their voices heard, but they've had their time and the point has been made.

I'm sure if I created a banner supporting ashley and co, there would be a similar reaction.

We the fans will NEVER agree, even if we are winning trophies after trophies.

Guest LucaAltieri

The banner is there to get attention.

It worked.

It's got some of the attention you wanted... it also got you some you didn't want.

You can't complain about the fact. You're the one drawing attention to yourself and you're going to get criticised by those that don't agree with you. Some do it less articulately than others.

But NUFC supporters aren’t small minded. The opinion of people who get their knickers in a twist over a piss taking banner at a football match aren’t worth bothering with.

I don’t know Keith but he should be able to express his views without fear of harassment.

I'm not saying they are, i'm saying it makes us look small-minded, which is the impact its had in the press.

As for your second idea that he should be able to express his views without fear of harassment, what if those views are offensive, or what if those views are idiotic? Clearly just because you have a point of view doesnt make it vaild or worth expressing. I can think of some pretty offensive and idiotic points of view, because i have them they are valid???

I'd say that highlighting a regionalist separation between the north and south of England, when we play with French, Argentinean, Irish, Spanish and Nigerian players makes us look like fucking bell-ends.