Cockney Mafia Out! Banner

Guest BooBoo

Guest Blackamp;White

Agree with everything Keiths said including his opinions about Ashley being a liar and a conman and it would be a loss to the support if he were to get a ban.

Guest Slippery Sam

As I said, I doubted Keith hated cockneys. Good post.

I truly hope you are only absent from the West Ham game (if you want my ticket to go in secret, just let me know and I'll give you it free of charge)

I guess a lot of the over-the-top reaction was due to the assumption that the banner was constructed by a member of NUSC, as that organisation has attracted the most rabid attacks since its inception.

Nice post Keith.

I am the same age as you, but didn't manage to get to my first game until January 1964 (Grimsby Town).

I too bleed black and white but for one reason or another my CV is nowhere near as good as yours (whose is ?) but I've put in a canny shift all the same. I'm also ashamed to have thrown punches before, but never at a fellow NUFC fan (yet ?)

I have suffered as you have the miserable years of Westwood, McKeag etc, enjoyed the good years as the club moved forward under Keegan and SJH and then suffered again as we slipped under the sleaze and "fingers in the till" mentality of Freddy and Dougy and became very concerned as, like the worlds economy last year, we seemed to be heading for financial Armageddon.

I really thought (still do) that a radical change of approach was needed to move forward again and that Ashley's idea of creating a management strategy with a plan and an international scouting team was better than what had gone before when huge amounts of borrowed money was squandered by a regime who were very cosy with the games leading agents.

Dennis Wise was an obnoxious opposition player (we all sang the same songs), but as long as he does what he's paid to do nowadays his past is pretty irrelevant to me.  Many NUFC fans were delighted with the ability and ATTITUDE of players brought in during the summer, although obviously we'd all have liked to have seen more.

Sadly this has now degenerated into a very emotional and polarised issue, and many find that banner offensive and parochial.

If there was a "Dennis Wise and Co are doing a great job" banner (stupid words I know) then many would find that offensive too and would want to confront those holding it.

Right now it's about as likely to be resolved by waving rival banners as it would be by waving Catholic or Protestant banners in Northern Ireland or Israeli or Hamas banners in the Middle East. Your banner has had it's airing and based on what happened yesterday maybe it needs to be put away.

You should get back to doing what you do best, that is being one of the team you love's greatest fans. Hope they are lenient with you and take previous good character into account. All the best. 

Agree with everything Keiths said including his opinions about Ashley being a liar and a conman and it would be a loss to the support if he were to get a ban.

Not really, Keith admitted that he threw the punches towards the other fella for swearing at him. Irrespective of the damage caused to the other guy, Keith clearly admits to the intent - violence shouldn't be accepted at football, particularly between supporters of the same team.

I realise that Keith has done a lot for his fellow supporters, but if it had been a Toon Ultra doing the same thing then there'd be no leeway. By bringing a controversial banner into the stadium, Keith is aware that he may provoke a reaction from fellow supporters who don't share his anti-Ashley views (or simply supporters who want the club to start moving on and believe an anti-Ashley campaign is a hindrance). I'm fairly sure that this wasn't the first occasion that a non-supportive comment had been made to Keith and his friends about the banner but, even if it was, they should have all been aware of the possible consequences of their actions and anticipated that they may receive some negative comments.

It's not as though the guy walked up to him out of the blue and started calling him every name under the sun, even then it wouldn't justify trying to lamp the fella.

I don't think the "why don't you make your own banner if you disagree" is going the right away about it.

We wouldn't look like clowns at all with "Cockney Mafia Out" "Nah they are alright really" "Cockney Mafia In" "Fuck off, Cockenys out" all over the ground :lol:

Was about to say the same thing after reading HTT's post. :laugh:

Nice post Keith.

I am the same age as you, but didn't manage to get to my first game until January 1964 (Grimsby Town).

I too bleed black and white but for one reason or another my CV is nowhere near as good as yours (whose is ?) but I've put in a canny shift all the same. I'm also ashamed to have thrown punches before, but never at a fellow NUFC fan (yet ?)

I have suffered as you have the miserable years of Westwood, McKeag etc, enjoyed the good years as the club moved forward under Keegan and SJH and then suffered again as we slipped under the sleaze and "fingers in the till" mentality of Freddy and Dougy and became very concerned as, like the worlds economy last year, we seemed to be heading for financial Armageddon.

I really thought (still do) that a radical change of approach was needed to move forward again and that Ashley's idea of creating a management strategy with a plan and an international scouting team was better than what had gone before when huge amounts of borrowed money was squandered by a regime who were very cosy with the games leading agents.

Dennis Wise was an obnoxious opposition player (we all sang the same songs), but as long as he does what he's paid to do nowadays his past is pretty irrelevant to me.  Many NUFC fans were delighted with the ability and ATTITUDE of players brought in during the summer, although obviously we'd all have liked to have seen more.

Sadly this has now degenerated into a very emotional and polarised issue, and many find that banner offensive and parochial.

If there was a "Dennis Wise and Co are doing a great job" banner (stupid words I know) then many would find that offensive too and would want to confront those holding it.

Right now it's about as likely to be resolved by waving rival banners as it would be by waving Catholic or Protestant banners in Northern Ireland or Israeli or Hamas banners in the Middle East. Your banner has had it's airing and based on what happened yesterday maybe it needs to be put away.

You should get back to doing what you do best, that is being one of the team you love's greatest fans. Hope they are lenient with you and take previous good character into account. All the best. 

You seem to have forgot to tell Keith that his banner was the lowest point of your time supporting this club, lower than relegation, worse than getting beat off the makems in play off. Worse than players fighting each other on the pitch. Worse even than anything during Westwood era.

Nice post Keith.

Excellent post.

I don't care how long this chump has been supporting the club, this dumb banner remains a fucking embarrassment and will achieve nothing except to give the club's enemies another way of portraying us all as a bunch of small-minded tossers.

Trouble with the southern-born wife, eh? Hardly surprising, is it? :lol:

Nice post Keith.

:clap:

I've got to say for someone that seems to be trying to be almost apologetic, well maybe not apologetic but certainly sympathetic, with users of this board you haven't really come across great in that little snippet. I don't presume to know anything about you, but mentioning you chose NUFC over your "southern wife", by the sounds of it, and have recently been involved in violence at a football ground doesn't really create an inspiring image. I am only a relatively young supporter of the club, and this is by far the worst I have ever experienced, but the situation we are in now has long been in the making. Kevin Keegan's return was nothing more than a catalyst for the inevitable. Untill someone comes in and litterally throws money at the problem we aren't gonna turn around anytime soon. Everything about our current situation can't be pin pointed onto any one person. I am angry and upset about the situation but don't feel that constantly exposing our wounds is ever gonna solve anything. No one is gonna buy a football club nowadays and probably wont for sometime either for obvious financial reasons, we're stuck with Ashley for the forseeable future, and I guess the issue I have with your banner is that I feel that it might as well read " THERE IS A PROBLEM THERE IS A PROBLEM THERE IS A PROBLEM THERE IS A PROBLEM!" cause whilst I sort of understand your point, I guess I just want to try and make best of whats happening and not constantly bring up again and again the turmoil of the moment. Also this "cockney" bollocks just makes us look silly, and the "mafia" bit aswell, neither of those words apply to Ashley and Wise, you say you couldn't fit Buckinghamshire on, well why not just Ashley. The cockney reference takes away from your standpoint as it is simply interpretted as Northerners hating Londoners/southerners which just makes us look like pricks. I appreciate your right to make banners, but I and many others have the right to the opinion that your banner is an embarassment.

I don't care how long this chump has been supporting the club, this dumb banner remains a fucking embarrassment and will achieve nothing except to give the club's enemies another way of portraying us all as a bunch of small-minded tossers.

That would be you imo.

Nice post Keith.

You seem to have forgot to tell Keith that his banner was the lowest point of your time supporting this club, lower than relegation, worse than getting beat off the makems in play off. Worse than players fighting each other on the pitch. Worse even than anything during Westwood era.

That post really sums up the constant "make as much trouble as possible" attitude of you and your cronies.

No I didn't tell him that but thanks for doing it for me you sh*t stirring dick.

None of the other embarrassments you've dragged up resulted in loyal Newcastle fans turning on each other, so yes it was one of the lowest points in a lifetime supporting the club.

I've got to say for someone that seems to be trying to be almost apologetic, well maybe not apologetic but certainly sympathetic, with users of this board you haven't really come across great in that little snippet. I don't presume to know anything about you, but mentioning you chose NUFC over your "southern wife", by the sounds of it, and have recently been involved in violence at a football ground doesn't really create an inspiring image. I am only a relatively young supporter of the club, and this is by far the worst I have ever experienced, but the situation we are in now has long been in the making. Kevin Keegan's return was nothing more than a catalyst for the inevitable. Untill someone comes in and litterally throws money at the problem we aren't gonna turn around anytime soon. Everything about our current situation can't be pin pointed onto any one person. I am angry and upset about the situation but don't feel that constantly exposing our wounds is ever gonna solve anything. No one is gonna buy a football club nowadays and probably wont for sometime either for obvious financial reasons, we're stuck with Ashley for the forseeable future, and I guess the issue I have with your banner is that I feel that it might as well read " THERE IS A PROBLEM THERE IS A PROBLEM THERE IS A PROBLEM THERE IS A PROBLEM!" cause whilst I sort of understand your point, I guess I just want to try and make best of whats happening and not constantly bring up again and again the turmoil of the moment. Also this "cockney" bollocks just makes us look silly, and the "mafia" bit aswell, neither of those words apply to Ashley and Wise, you say you couldn't fit Buckinghamshire on, well why not just Ashley. The cockney reference takes away from your standpoint as it is simply interpretted as Northerners hating Londoners/southerners which just makes us look like pricks. I appreciate your right to make banners, but I and many others have the right to the opinion that your banner is an embarassment.

Good post young 'un.

Nice post Keith.

That post really sums up the constant "make as much trouble as possible" attitude of you and your cronies.

No I didn't tell him that but thanks for doing it for me you sh*t stirring dick.

None of the other embarrassments you've dragged up resulted in loyal Newcastle fans turning on each other, so yes it was one of the lowest points in a lifetime supporting the club.

;D

best insult i've heard on here for a while

Keith, there's a lot that I'd disagree with in your post, but can I pick out one significant one - namely, where you say Keegan 'left to his own devices' produced the best football we've seen.

FFS, he was bankrolled. Bar Man U, under Sir John Hall we were the league's biggest spenders, and without that, we wouldn't have got where we did. The situation has now changed. Even if we had another sugardaddy - and nowadays it would have to be Arab or Russian oil money - it would be a much harder job to crack the top four, with the advantages they have with Champions League football, and the gap between the quality of our squad and theirs.

The way forward is with a long-term plan which involves spotting and developing young talent, and so far Wise has done a good job in that area. The idea of Keegan as miracle worker is a delusion.

bobyule - KK was never given the time, this time round or the say in developing the team how he wanted it. Dennis Wise runs the club (to all intents and purposes) - that's an arguement for another time though.

Keith - I travelled over to Juventus with you, back in 01/02 and had a quality time, despite the bother with the hotel (it being further from Torino than you had been told) :D

Have had no problem with the banner - if anything it shows how desperate some are with regards to how the club is being ran. As a fan of a few short of 30 years now, I've lived through the McKeag years, and this is as worrying a time now than it was back then. It seems that some Mags would rather be content to let Ashley get on with it, rather than speaking out - instead choosing to attack those who make an effort to take a stand. It's those very fans that are the reason why whatever owners of the club, have been able to take the piss for so long. They will suck on anything they are given, and if that's the case - why do things have to change?

I hope you manage to sort out the problems which arose at the Hull game, and that you are back watching the lads again, soon.

Guest BooBoo

bobyule - KK was never given the time, this time round or the say in developing the team how he wanted it. Dennis Wise runs the club (to all intents and purposes) - that's an arguement for another time though.

Keith - I travelled over to Juventus with you, back in 01/02 and had a quality time, despite the bother with the hotel (it being further from Torino than you had been told) :D

Have had no problem with the banner - if anything it shows how desperate some are with regards to how the club is being ran. As a fan of a few short of 30 years now, I've lived through the McKeag years, and this is as worrying a time now than it was back then. It seems that some Mags would rather be content to let Ashley get on with it, rather than speaking out - instead choosing to attack those who make an effort to take a stand. It's those very fans that are the reason why whatever owners of the club, have been able to take the piss for so long. They will suck on anything they are given, and if that's the case - why do things have to change?

I hope you manage to sort out the problems which arose at the Hull game, and that you are back watching the lads again, soon.

I was on the Toon Travel Juve trip too, that little town of Sousa we stayed in was unreal. Half expected Heidi to come waltzing down the Alps.

That would be you imo.

And like most of your opinions, it's hysterical and melodramatic.

That post really sums up the constant "make as much trouble as possible" attitude of you and your cronies. No I didn't tell him that but thanks for doing it for me you sh*t stirring dick.

:D What a daft old fucker. :D

That would be you imo.

People who have spent years supporting the club by going to the games and helping fellow fans are entitled to respect and have every right to air their views. People who have no clue about the history of the club, don't go to matches and even now still have their tongues stained with Ashley's shit deserve no respect.

My questions remain;

Why doesnt the banner say 'Ashley out!'? (cost has been mentioned, they made the banner in haste at great expense and cant change it now?)

Do you think using regionalist language, in a business that is truly globalised, make us geordies sound like small minded-twats? (its further cemented the media cliches about the support at least)

The biggest twat of this story is the bloke who had a go at Keith, instead of just expressing the above two points in an adult-like manner. 

That would be you imo.

People who have spent years supporting the club by going to the games and helping fellow fans are entitled to respect and have every right to air their views. People who have no clue about the history of the club, don't go to matches and even now still have their tongues stained with Ashley's shit deserve no respect.

You're sailing close to the idea that people who have supported the club for the longest and been to the most matches are the most insightful. Whilst their dedication is worthy of respect, their opinions may actually be distorted because they're too worked up and emotionally involved.

Some of the most perceptive ideas I've seen on this forum have come from teenagers from overseas who have never been to a game. Sometimes it's easier to see things from a distance.

That would be you imo.

You're sailing close to the idea that people who have supported the club for the longest and been to the most matches are the most insightful. Whilst their dedication is worthy of respect, their opinions may actually be distorted because they're too worked up and emotionally involved.

Some of the most perceptive ideas I've seen on this forum have come from teenagers from overseas who have never been to a game. Sometimes it's easier to see things from a distance.

"how old are you lad?" at the start of a sentence, for example :lol: