Cockney Mafia Out! Banner

Guest BooBoo

Liverpool fans making all Liverpool supporters look like ignorant, small-minded bell-ends, etc (Hicks is from Texas and so not a "Yank", the fools), forcing Gillett & Hicks to put the club up for sale whilst ironically making sure no one will ever want to buy the club:

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/9578/thanksbutnoyanksxo9.jpg

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/2314/dubaisosyanksoutsaverafur1.jpg

Man U fans firstly making sure Glazer doesn't buy the club:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7579/41139301glazerpa203jk5.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9700/shareholdersunited2ux0.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5336/2005glazerprotest190x15ff7.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5415/manunot4salevj1.jpg

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/7159/sp4wk7.jpg

and then forcing Glazer to put the club up for sale whilst ironically making sure no one will ever want to buy the club:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6091/41170857cup2hm3.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/4623/lpe80205151425widecul8.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2802/terryhallsmalltt1.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/1741/glazerbadgerx1.jpg

The image of both sets of fans forever tarnished. Their international image in ruins. How will they ever live with the shame, and how long will it take their clubs to recover from the devastation caused.  :no:

The difference is they're Liverpool and Man Utd, and we're Newcastle. It's not so much the image i'm that fussed about, it's the fact that 50,000 supporters get tarred with the same brush just cos one chap has a big massive banner. Also, i think the events at the Hull home game did more harm to the club than good - as we'd not be sat with Joe Kinnear if Mike Ashley hadn't shit his pants.

Nae offence mate but basing your argument on Hicks not being a yank because hes from Texas isnt going to wash no matter how many pictures you post.

It's as relevant as Ashley's from Buckinghamshire he's not a Cockney, oh no we all look like fools.

The difference is they're Liverpool and Man Utd, and we're Newcastle. It's not so much the image i'm that fussed about, it's the fact that 50,000 supporters get tarred with the same brush just cos one chap has a big massive banner. Also, i think the events at the Hull home game did more harm to the club than good - as we'd not be sat with Joe Kinnear if Mike Ashley hadn't shit his pants.

I think you're falling for more of Ashley's guff if you think a few protests and a banner forced him to try and sell up for a profit when he found keeping the club mid table in the Premiership would be tougher than he thought it would be.

I think you're falling for more of Ashley's guff if you think a few protests and a banner forced him to try and sell up for a profit when he found keeping the club mid table in the Premiership would be tougher than he thought it would be.

How much was he trying to sell the club for?

If he wanted to sell before the protests, why did he not sell to the people who bought Man City after Ashley said the club wasn't for sale?

And it was only those first two pictures that have any relevance to the discussion at hand.

Some people are making out that the banner and a bit of protesting caused Ashley to put the club on the market and are implying they are to blame for the current state of the club. No offence to Keith or any of the protesters, but it's not that easy (and I'm sure they are aware of that). It's like when you want to split up with a lass, so to make it easy you blow the next argument you have up out of all proportion and make it seem like it's her who split up with you.

Nae offence mate but basing your argument on Hicks not being a yank because hes from Texas isnt going to wash no matter how many pictures you post.

It's as relevant as Ashley's from Buckinghamshire he's not a Cockney, oh no we all look like fools.

Not sure what you mean. A yank is an american. We're English, if we were American it might mean a northerner ..... but we're not. That flag about 'yanks' refers just to Americans so its not comparable to a reference to cockneys.

How much was he trying to sell the club for?

If he wanted to sell before the protests, why did he not sell to the people who bought Man City after Ashley said the club wasn't for sale?

You've mentioned this before, but I must have missed it at the time. Where was this reported and how much were they offering him?

You've mentioned this before, but I must have missed it at the time. Where was this reported and how much were they offering him?

One of the Arabs mentioned it during a press conference and it was covered on here at the time, how much they offered wasn't mentioned as far as I'm aware.

And it was only those first two pictures that have any relevance to the discussion at hand.

Some people are making out that the banner and a bit of protesting caused Ashley to put the club on the market and are implying they are to blame for the current state of the club. No offence to Keith or any of the protesters, but it's not that easy (and I'm sure they are aware of that). It's like when you want to split up with a lass, so to make it easy you blow the next argument you have up out of all proportion and make it seem like it's her who split up with you.

When I want to split up with a lass I just tell her that it's over. Why does Ashley need an excuse?

This article mentions it and also mentions Arsenal and Liverpool.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/529670-abu-dhabi-chiefs-set-to-meet-premier-league

Abu Dhabi chiefs set to meet Premier League

Tuesday, 02 September 2008

New Man City owner Dr Sulaiman Al Fahim expects formalities of takeover to be completed soon.  Manchester City's owner-in-waiting Dr Sulaiman Al Fahim expects his Abu Dhabi United Group (ADUG) to be given the green light for their takeover of the Premier League club imminently.

Al Fahim has agreed to acquire a majority stake in City, subject to due diligence, from former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who will remain on the club's board as a shareholder and honorary president.

He confirmed that ADUG had also considered investing in Arsenal, Newcastle and Liverpool before pressing ahead with the City buy-out.

The new team has already made an impression in the transfer market by beating Chelsea to the signature of Brazilian forward Robinho from Real Madrid for a British record transfer fee of about $61.6 million.

Regarding the takeover, Al Fahim added: "It is really about formalities.  It is more about securing approval from the authorities in England, such as the Premier League.

"I don't foresee any problems with the club itself.  I need to check my diary and come over to England as soon as possible so I can meet people from the Premier League.

"We were attracted to the Premier League itself, and Arsenal, Newcastle and Liverpool were also possibilities.

"We are very happy to become the new owners of Manchester City, one of the oldest clubs in England."

The Premier League has to give the takeover the go-ahead and will carry out their standard fit and proper persons test of Al Fahim, a billionaire property developer.

Al Fahim will focus his efforts on putting together a new board at Eastlands, and he suggested that a former player, who enjoys a good rapport with the fans, could be appointed.

"We need to bring in several top board members over the next three or four months, and they will be able to help," he said.

"Thaksin Shinawatra will be a board member, and will still be a shareholder of the club.

"We also would like to bring in people who have a good knowledge of the English market, and maybe someone who the fans will appreciate.  We have to be careful to bring in the right people."

Al Fahim said that he was unable to publicly reveal financial details of the takeover or the stake Shinawatra would retain in the club, but a statement released on Monday on behalf of ADUG said that the Thai would be "without any administrative responsibilities".

It says they considered investing in Newcastle. That means they thought about it, thought for whatever reason they didn't want to, and moved on.

There is no implication that an offer was ever made to Ashley.

So to answer your original question:

"If he wanted to sell before the protests, why did he not sell to the people who bought Man City after Ashley said the club wasn't for sale?"

Because they didn't want to buy it.

Of course you say publically the club isn't for sale, what kind of a businessman would come out and say 'Yeah, desperate to be rid of the thing, come in with any old offer and I'll just give it to you."

It says they considered investing in Newcastle. That means they thought about it, thought for whatever reason they didn't want to, and moved on.

"If he wanted to sell before the protests, why did he not sell to the people who bought Man City after Ashley said the club wasn't for sale?"

Of course you say publically the club isn't for sale, what kind of a businessman would come out and say 'Yeah, desperate to be rid of the thing, come in with any old offer and I'll just give it to you."

They, not him, actually claimed that they were trying to contact Ashley but he didn't bother returning the calls.

Got a (non-tabloid) source?

And not responding to a general enquiry is a far cry from refusing to sell anyway.

Who cares? The fact is that to this day, on the balance Ashley has done nothing for the club. The team (as a whole) has not progressed. Nothing is changing on that front. At an extremely injury prone club, we're a few injuries away from a real relegation fight.

Keegan has done so much for the club... Ashley hasn't done anything. Yet people are willing to trust Ashley and hate Keegan. Bizarre.

You've just concluded the exact oppositie of what logic would tell you.

If someone is publically discussing buying a club and ends up buying one (at the last minute) then it suggests considerable interest on the part of the buyer, not the seller.

Its far easier to conclude that they were interested in us and Ashley didnt sell rather than the other way round. To conclude the other way would mean you think Man City were a far better financial prospect than Newcastle, which is nonsense.

And not responding to a general enquiry is a far cry from refusing to sell anyway.

Who cares? The fact is that to this day, on the balance Ashley has done nothing for the club. The team (as a whole) has not progressed. Nothing is changing on that front. At an extremely injury prone club, we're a few injuries away from a real relegation fight.

Keegan has done so much for the club... Ashley hasn't done anything. Yet people are willing to trust Ashley and hate Keegan. Bizarre.

Where would club be in the premiership if Keegan had stayed?

People don't 'hate' Keegan, they (I for one) didn't automatically buy into this coming about because it was all the total fault of Ashley/Wise/Llambias and KK is the completely innocent party in this.

FWIW, I want to find out 'why' they felt they had to take transfer control, either completely or partially, away and above KK before I get me banners out.

I just don`t understand The Cockney bit or the Mafia bit. I only understand the relivence of the out bit. Thats why I feel it makes us look thick.

Cockney - a native of London, esp. of the working class born in the East End, speaking a characteristic dialect of English. Traditionally defined as someone born within the sound of the bells of St. Mary-le-Bow church

Mafia - A secret criminal organization operating mainly in the United States and Italy and engaged in illegal activities such as gambling, drug-dealing, protection, and prostitution.

Any of various similar criminal organizations, especially when dominated by members of the same nationality.

It should have just read " Ashley & Wise Out"  Thats 1 letter less, you could have saved money.

I don't care how long this chump has been supporting the club, this dumb banner remains a fucking embarrassment and will achieve nothing except to give the club's enemies another way of portraying us all as a bunch of small-minded tossers.

Trouble with the southern-born wife, eh? Hardly surprising, is it? :lol:

That would be you imo.

And like most of your opinions, it's hysterical and melodramatic.

People who have spent years supporting the club by going to the games and helping fellow fans are entitled to respect and have every right to air their views. People who have no clue about the history of the club, don't go to matches and even now still have their tongues stained with Ashley's shit deserve no respect.

correct, and someone who has spent most of their years not going to games until something happened to attract them back, but won't admit it, are the people who would obviously disagree with such a view.

Keith Barrett here joining in with your forum. I am one of the 'thick' blokes with the 'Cockney Mafia out' banner. I do not think I represent anyone but myself, I am not a member of NUSC, and I do not wish to be on the telly, despite numerous requests since my mate Graham Robson and I made the giant 'Howay The Lads' flag some years ago.That giant flag took a lot of time, money and effort. The 'Cockney Mafia Out' banner was bought by myself and has been held aloft at various games by me, my 79 year old Dad, my friends Paul Fenning and Bernie Kane. You will notice there are no nicknames here as used by writers on this forum, that's who we are. I first went to St.James's Park in 1962, Plymouth Argyle at home 0-0,  I follow my team home and away and have only missed three games in the last seventeen years, these were friendlies. I ran Toon Travel for fifeteen and a half years, providing coaches, trains or planes to every game in that time at a cheaper cost than the club, if they even bothered to put anything on. Whilst running Toon Travel I was also trying to run my haulage business which eventually failed, due somewhat to my travel commitments. My marriage to my southern born wife has also failed, this was down totally to my commitment to Newcastle United and not her. Thats a bit of background about me.

The 'Cockney Mafia Out' banner. I fully appreciate that not every Newcastle United fan shares the same view as me, the banner is not aimed at Cockney's in general, I have many Cockney friends, I also fully appreciate that Mike Ashley and Dennis Wise were not born within the sound of Bow bells so they are not 'true' cockneys, ( I could not afford to have Buckinghamshire and Kensington put on the banner, it cost me a hundred pound as it is). I had it made to express my feelings about the people who run our club. I don't want them there, I don't trust them, I think they have shown there true colours, I think they are con men. Dennis Wise was a horrible obnoxious player on the pitch, that everbody hated, he has no affinity with Newcastle United whatsoever.. Mike Ashley has shown contempt for the fans and presumably thinks he can worm his way back into our hearts, he was never in my heart, I do not remember seeing him on the terraces at Plymouth, Shrewsbury or Whrexham supporting the team, he, in my opinion is a con man. Now, I know I have left myself wide open to critisism that previous or future owners have not or will not stand on the terraces, but, I have, Newcastle United have been a major part of my life for forty odd years, I love Newcastle United and the fans, we are adifferent people to anybody else in the country, or used to be at least. I don't want someone who does not understand what Newcastle United means to its supporters dictaing to the fans. He had a choice a while ago, Kevin Keegan, who has his faults, or Dennis Wise, Keegan the man who brought the best football to Newcastle United seen in living memory, when left to his own devices, or Wise, a man with no Newcastle United  connection at all. The majority wanted Keegan, he chose Wise. He alienated himself.I don't want him in charge. I am only a fan like everyone else, but, that is my opinion. Now, if people have a different opinion, fine, it is a free world, sort of, express it, go out and buy banners with' I love Mike Ashley' or 'Cockneys are great' put whatever you want on. You be you and I will be me.

Yesterday at Hull. People seem interested as to what happened regarding the banner at Hull yesterday, I will put forward my point of view. At half time, when the players were not on the pitch, obviously, my friend Bernie Kane and I held aloft the banner, some bloke came down and started abusing Bernie, we had words, I said I understood that he had a different opinion but would he leave my banner alone, I shook hands with him, I hope this was captured on cctv as were later events, and I also said as I have said above if he feels so strongly about Ashley, go and get his own banner, this seemed to confuse him. At the end of the game me and Bernie, and Jordon from the Ultras young'uns held up the banner again, the arsewipe appeared again and shouted abuse at me, various things, one of them being 'Barrett, You are a cocksucker', now I do not go around verbally abusing other people and at the age of 52 I do not expect to be abused in that manner, I also defy any man not to snap when subjected to abuse, some have shorter fuses than others, I snapped, I threw three punches at him, I know it was three because the police showed me on video afterwards, not very good punches as I only scuffed his chin with the first one, mind you he was about 6ft 4ins and standing on the step above me, I must improve my technique. Thats what happened. According to the law I should not have done it, in my book he deserved it. I was arrested and charged while he walks away scot free. That's life. I am now banned from the West Ham game next week and face a far longer ban if the Police have there way and I am found guilty later in the month. I am sure this will greatly please some of your members.

I have posted on here to explain the banner to people that do not know me very well, 'Barrett is a tool' I believe is one of the comments posted, very constructive, and to defend myself from comments like the previous. Everything I have done regarding the fans of Newcastle United has been done with a good heart, the travel, the flags, the bands, (Mungo Jerry, Happy Cats) the daft records we made for the cup finals, everything. I love Newcastle United! Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Keith Barrett

Support the Toon, it's your Duty !

I

Good post,  I think you'll find that people aren't too keen on the banner because it doesn't go into the detail that you do in the post.  I applauded the banner the first time you brought it out but after thinking about it I've changed my mind because it makes us look like small minded idiots.

lots of things done that you have supported make us look like small minded idiots.

I don't care how long this chump has been supporting the club, this dumb banner remains a fucking embarrassment and will achieve nothing except to give the club's enemies another way of portraying us all as a bunch of small-minded tossers.

the most pathetic post you've ever made, and there has been plenty of hot competition

Nice post Keith.

I am the same age as you, but didn't manage to get to my first game until January 1964 (Grimsby Town).

I too bleed black and white but for one reason or another my CV is nowhere near as good as yours (whose is ?) but I've put in a canny shift all the same. I'm also ashamed to have thrown punches before, but never at a fellow NUFC fan (yet ?)

I have suffered as you have the miserable years of Westwood, McKeag etc, enjoyed the good years as the club moved forward under Keegan and SJH and then suffered again as we slipped under the sleaze and "fingers in the till" mentality of Freddy and Dougy and became very concerned as, like the worlds economy last year, we seemed to be heading for financial Armageddon.

I really thought (still do) that a radical change of approach was needed to move forward again and that Ashley's idea of creating a management strategy with a plan and an international scouting team was better than what had gone before when huge amounts of borrowed money was squandered by a regime who were very cosy with the games leading agents.

Dennis Wise was an obnoxious opposition player (we all sang the same songs), but as long as he does what he's paid to do nowadays his past is pretty irrelevant to me.  Many NUFC fans were delighted with the ability and ATTITUDE of players brought in during the summer, although obviously we'd all have liked to have seen more.

Sadly this has now degenerated into a very emotional and polarised issue, and many find that banner offensive and parochial.

If there was a "Dennis Wise and Co are doing a great job" banner (stupid words I know) then many would find that offensive too and would want to confront those holding it.

Right now it's about as likely to be resolved by waving rival banners as it would be by waving Catholic or Protestant banners in Northern Ireland or Israeli or Hamas banners in the Middle East. Your banner has had it's airing and based on what happened yesterday maybe it needs to be put away.

You should get back to doing what you do best, that is being one of the team you love's greatest fans. Hope they are lenient with you and take previous good character into account. All the best. 

You seem to have forgot to tell Keith that his banner was the lowest point of your time supporting this club, lower than relegation, worse than getting beat off the makems in play off. Worse than players fighting each other on the pitch. Worse even than anything during Westwood era.

That post really sums up the constant "make as much trouble as possible" attitude of you and your cronies.

No I didn't tell him that but thanks for doing it for me you sh*t stirring dick.

None of the other embarrassments you've dragged up resulted in loyal Newcastle fans turning on each other, so yes it was one of the lowest points in a lifetime supporting the club.

most of the "other points" you mention, especially those under McKeag, Westwood etc, were times of complete apathy, but I'm sure you also know that deep down. The sub 20,000 crowds and utter resignation that went with it, prove it.

the most pathetic post you've ever made, and there has been plenty of hot competition

Not surprised to see you're a fervent supporter of this imbecilic banner.