Cockney Mafia Out! Banner

Guest BooBoo

So NJS's way of moving the club forward is to find someone rich willing to pump loads of their own money into the club on players.

Easy when you put it like that.

It's worked elsewhere (and you could argue here with Hall) - is there a fundamental reason why it can't work here?

If you say "credit crunch" or some variation then can you tell me there are no more people rich enough, with non-diminished assets, or should I point a few out? Admittedly none of them have expressed any interest but theres nothing to stop them doing so.

you are dumb. everyone has been affected by this. I think most "rich" people have suffered more than the average person as most of their wealth tends to be invested in the market, hedge funds and real estate. With the market down as much as it is. Most people at the high end of the spectrum have lost over half their wealth and are not currently in a position to make a luxury buy like a sporting club.

Prove it.

Investing in football clubs aside the idea that the rich have "suffered" is ridiculous - down to their last couple of billion - my heart bleeds.

Also a s*** load of money was made by short selling - who gained from that?

The rich may not be standing in line at the soup kitchen, but the desire to plunk 400 million initially and God knows how much in the long term into a football club abates considerably when you've just lost about half of your fortune.

Roman apparently lost around 90% of his money during the crisis by the way.

And by the summer or the end of the year he'll have it all back.

I've not got your amazing powers of precognition, but lets just say I have my doubts as to whether every billionaire on Earth will magically recover all their losses by next summer.

I've worked with financial software since the 80s - stocks and assets always bounce back and rise over time - it's just a question of how quickly. The more you have as a starting point (assuming they haven't sold out) means the quicker you recover.

As I also said money was made from the collapse - some rich people somewhere either offset their losses or made money.

Unless you've been "working on financial software" since the 30s, you have simply not seen anything of this magnitude.

I'm not saying that it'll never recover and we're all fucked, just that it's presumptuous to assume anything about where the economy will be in a year.

So NJS's way of moving the club forward is to find someone rich willing to pump loads of their own money into the club on players.

It's worked elsewhere (and you could argue here with Hall) - is there a fundamental reason why it can't work here?

If you say "credit crunch" or some variation then can you tell me there are no more people rich enough, with non-diminished assets, or should I point a few out? Admittedly none of them have expressed any interest but theres nothing to stop them doing so.

you are dumb. everyone has been affected by this. I think most "rich" people have suffered more than the average person as most of their wealth tends to be invested in the market, hedge funds and real estate. With the market down as much as it is. Most people at the high end of the spectrum have lost over half their wealth and are not currently in a position to make a luxury buy like a sporting club.

Prove it.

Investing in football clubs aside the idea that the rich have "suffered" is ridiculous - down to their last couple of billion - my heart bleeds.

The rich may not be standing in line at the soup kitchen, but the desire to plunk 400 million initially and God knows how much in the long term into a football club abates considerably when you've just lost about half of your fortune.

Not a fucking clue.  mackems.gif

Prove it.

I wouldn't bet on it.  This is not like any previous recession/depression.

How would you of run the club if you took over in the same way that Ashley did? What problems did you see we had when Ashley took over that needed addressing? How would you go about addressing them? How would you go about investing in the club? Personal cash or club money? Knowing the club was in massive debt, and beling failry new to this business having seen the problems casue in the past by this very approach, would you trust a single person with your money? Would you not share responsiblty about to shorten the odds of failure?

I would have left the debt which wasn't compulsory to be serviced by sky/ST income then I would have used persobnal money to fund a an intial splurge - maybe £50m

I may have got an "expert" into help me run the club but the people Ashley got in  had/have no expertise or experience in doing so.

Where did you get that from?  :lol:

Even if you'd identified it as a problem which was eating into the clubs finances with interest? So you have £50m extra, to spend in this window and £50m increasing debt from then onwards? Then what? Wheres the next bit of cash coming from?

Would you not say he's a bit of a business expert himself? Mort as well?

As long as the debt is serviced then its okay - this "paying off the debt is the best thing he could have done" argument makes sense on an instinctive level but not with football clubs - see Man U and Liverpool as examples of serviceable debt models.

Money to pay off any extra debt would come from increased revenues from a thing called success (however relative).

I meant expert in the football sense - Allardyce did say that some players were missed out on in the early days because of Mort's on the job training.

It was the best thing to do in the long term, as well as the short term, it was the best move full stop. Examples of Man U and Liverpool debt levels are moot, not only have they been consistently successful and therefore benefitted from the finances covering wages etc but there debt hasnt been acquired in the conventional way more the owners lumping the debt onto the club, something Ashley didnt do. Effectively speaking, Man U are paying of there own purchases through football.

What your basically saying is that you'd gamble and lump £50m in the hope that we'd be successful, you;d also entrust that £50m to one man. You;ve basically not learnt anything from the mistakes of the past. If it goes wrong, your £50m out of pocket with potentially no sell on value of "unfiltered" players who have flopped here.

Also, part of the strategic review suggested that they'd benefit from having a footballing person on the board, like you are suggesting. Unfortunalety the merits of Wise's appiontenet is up for debate.

First of all I intimated that the £50m would be "my" money and not as a loan.

Secondly, what is your alternative?

If it is to embrace the Ashley "plan" then you are relying on Wise or whoever to find players who are good enough to keep us up but not good enough to be obvious targets for more ambitious clubs. In other words you'd have to have a production line which is self-sustaining and immediately successfull. Just as doing a "Souness" and wasting money, one year's bad crop and you'd be screwed.

I'd also say that appointing a man who would make the £50m work is part of the gamble which other clubs have done - see Chelsea or Villa as well as Aresenal, Man U and Liverpool - for the record Ashley had that man in place.

Yeah, right, that obviously proves that he'll be willing to sell off one of his principle assets at a loss just to keep you happy. :lol:

No - its about making himself happy or more prcisely not unhappy.

You've got more money then brains if you would be willing to give away £50m just like that. There isnt a businessman in the world who's doing that, except you of course.  :yikes:

Actually, Ashleys plan is something I'm happy to embrace.

"Good enough to keep us up but not good enough to be obvious targets for more ambitious clubs" - what a load of rubbish that is. I dont even no where to start with this comment, so i wont bother.

What do you think Ashleys plan is? I ask this becasue i get the impression your view is massively distorted, or at least compoletey different to mine.

no, all you need, according to you, is a Director of Football

I don't remember saying that, I did say setting up a good scouting network and looking to improve our academy would help us progress in the long run though.

Perhaps you could tell us what you would have done if you were Ashley when he took over, don't forget to take into account the club lost over £30 million in 2007 and had large debts at the time.

Well, I've got better things to do than go muck raking around your old posts - like you do, and did yesterday re HTT - but you always said that a DOF was the way to go and you also said that he would be a permanent fixture, retaining continuity when the manager was changed because the clubs buying system would largely be unchanged and remain consistent. Hence, "the way forward", "plan" and all the other bollocks. Then i said it was or should be nothing but a glorified scout ........ this is the first time you have mentioned a DOF in terms of being  a glorified scout.

As for being in debt, what I wouldn't have done under any circumstances is appoint a DOF to undermine his own appointed manager and not back his club in the transfer market. By the way, the top 4 are 1.5bn in debt, do you see their supporters are all up in arms saying they would rather be solvent than winning trophies

Don't go hoying your toys out of the pram again though, like you criticise Keegan for doing.

Funny that you claim that being in debt is ok yet the other week on toontastic that half of the premiership teams were on thin ice regarding finances, do you include us in that and do you think we would be alright in the current climate if we were a PLC?

As for a DOF, I've said in the very beginning that the manager should have the final say on transfers

no you didn't you said the DOF should be part of the permenant management team who appoints the managers and is outside his own choice of recruitment and scouting teams.

What I said was that the DOF should be in charge of the scouts and the academy so when the manager leaves everything else is still in place, that way we're not in the position we were when Shepherd sacked Robson in that his scouts and everyone goes, leaving Roeder with one scout at the entire club.

This is what I said btw.

"I agree with you, the manager is the most important thing when it comes to how well the first team does, however football is bigger business than it's ever been and for me the running of a club is far too big for one man anymore.

I was a fan of when Arnesen went to Spurs and brought in unknown (to me anyway) but long term you should let your manager run the playing side how he wants which is basically tactics and the players he wants for his first team, the problem is now is that you've other things involved now such as the youth academy, scouting, medical, contracts and concluding transfers etc which is too much IMO for one man, Wenger has said as much by wanting to appoint a DOF and Allardyce has commented on how he's spent little time on the training pitch while trying to sort stuff out.

It shouldn't be a case of DOF vs manager, it's about two professional people working together to make a club a success."

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,44408.msg979434.html#msg979434

You can answer the questions I put to you now that's cleared up.

*The other week on toontastic you said that half of the premiership teams were on thin ice regarding finances, do you include us in that and do you think we would be alright in the current climate if we were a PLC?

*Do you find it acceptable to have one scout at the club and Ameobi being one of best player to come through the academy in the past decade?

*How would you go about getting the club to compete with the big boys, taking into account it has over £100 million of debt, lost over £30 million in our final year as a PLC and would struggle for credit in the current financial climate?

I've answered these before.

Football clubs are regarded as successful in terms of what happens on the pitch, especially the biggest supported ones, rather than the operating profit they make by the way.

Do you think that Portsmouth wish they hadn't won the FA Cup now the depth of their debts has been revealed ?

mackems.gif

You haven't answered them before and you're trying to avoid answering them now.

Well done.

I've answered them before and I can't be bothered to answer them again, or you for that matter.

Bye.

I hope you still think the club is better off than it was 18 months ago, due to adopting your "plan".

Didn't think you would answer them.

ok then. Here is your previous take on the DOF

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,46402.0.html

see especially post number 18 by yourself

all Comolli has done is look to replace an average manager in Jol with a far better one in Ramos, getting rumbled tapping him up is hardly ideal but if it benefits the club in the long run then who will care.

I'm not sure what that has to do with what I've said. What point are you trying to make by that?

You still didn't answer my questions btw.

I'm asking a question about the bigger picture , which you know is what I'm doing.

I really can't be arsed with you because you're a fool, the link I've made proves that you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

My post on toontastic is a tounge in cheek post which predictably the likes of you don't understand. As you think the last board brought an end to years of trophy winning glory, or something. So I'm pleased you think that your "plan" and your DOF has improved on the previous plan of buying good quality footballers that enabled the club to qualify for europe more than every other club bar 4.

I don't remember saying that, I did say setting up a good scouting network and looking to improve our academy would help us progress in the long run though.

Perhaps you could tell us what you would have done if you were Ashley when he took over, don't forget to take into account the club lost over £30 million in 2007 and had large debts at the time.

Well, I've got better things to do than go muck raking around your old posts - like you do, and did yesterday re HTT - but you always said that a DOF was the way to go and you also said that he would be a permanent fixture, retaining continuity when the manager was changed because the clubs buying system would largely be unchanged and remain consistent. Hence, "the way forward", "plan" and all the other bollocks. Then i said it was or should be nothing but a glorified scout ........ this is the first time you have mentioned a DOF in terms of being  a glorified scout.

As for being in debt, what I wouldn't have done under any circumstances is appoint a DOF to undermine his own appointed manager and not back his club in the transfer market. By the way, the top 4 are 1.5bn in debt, do you see their supporters are all up in arms saying they would rather be solvent than winning trophies

Don't go hoying your toys out of the pram again though, like you criticise Keegan for doing.

Funny that you claim that being in debt is ok yet the other week on toontastic that half of the premiership teams were on thin ice regarding finances, do you include us in that and do you think we would be alright in the current climate if we were a PLC?

As for a DOF, I've said in the very beginning that the manager should have the final say on transfers

no you didn't you said the DOF should be part of the permenant management team who appoints the managers and is outside his own choice of recruitment and scouting teams.

What I said was that the DOF should be in charge of the scouts and the academy so when the manager leaves everything else is still in place, that way we're not in the position we were when Shepherd sacked Robson in that his scouts and everyone goes, leaving Roeder with one scout at the entire club.

This is what I said btw.

"I agree with you, the manager is the most important thing when it comes to how well the first team does, however football is bigger business than it's ever been and for me the running of a club is far too big for one man anymore.

I was a fan of when Arnesen went to Spurs and brought in unknown (to me anyway) but long term you should let your manager run the playing side how he wants which is basically tactics and the players he wants for his first team, the problem is now is that you've other things involved now such as the youth academy, scouting, medical, contracts and concluding transfers etc which is too much IMO for one man, Wenger has said as much by wanting to appoint a DOF and Allardyce has commented on how he's spent little time on the training pitch while trying to sort stuff out.

It shouldn't be a case of DOF vs manager, it's about two professional people working together to make a club a success."

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,44408.msg979434.html#msg979434

*The other week on toontastic you said that half of the premiership teams were on thin ice regarding finances, do you include us in that and do you think we would be alright in the current climate if we were a PLC?

*Do you find it acceptable to have one scout at the club and Ameobi being one of best player to come through the academy in the past decade?

*How would you go about getting the club to compete with the big boys, taking into account it has over £100 million of debt, lost over £30 million in our final year as a PLC and would struggle for credit in the current financial climate?

Football clubs are regarded as successful in terms of what happens on the pitch, especially the biggest supported ones, rather than the operating profit they make by the way.

Do you think that Portsmouth wish they hadn't won the FA Cup now the depth of their debts has been revealed ?

mackems.gif

Well done.

I've answered them before and I can't be bothered to answer them again, or you for that matter.

Bye.

I hope you still think the club is better off than it was 18 months ago, due to adopting your "plan".

all Comolli has done is look to replace an average manager in Jol with a far better one in Ramos, getting rumbled tapping him up is hardly ideal but if it benefits the club in the long run then who will care.

I'm not sure what that has to do with what I've said. What point are you trying to make by that?

I'm asking a question about the bigger picture , which you know is what I'm doing.

I really can't be arsed with you because you're a fool, the link I've made proves that you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

My post on toontastic is a tounge in cheek post which predictably the likes of you don't understand. As you think the last board brought an end to years of trophy winning glory, or something. So I'm pleased you think that your "plan" and your DOF has improved on the previous plan of buying good quality footballers that enabled the club to qualify for europe more than every other club bar 4.

How does it make me look like a fool and that I don't have a clue what I'm talking about?

Your post wasn't tongue in cheek at all so don't try and get out of it.

You still haven't answered my questions btw.

This is what I said btw.

mackems.gif

Well done.

Bye.

How does it make me look like a fool and that I don't have a clue what I'm talking about?

yes it does. Your own quote concedes that your DOF is involved with the choosing of managers which you agree with. And you agree with this - and can't admit that your plan, also implemented and dropped by your other team Spurs, has failed. Spectacularly.

Unlike you, I know the meaning of what I post.

I've answered your questions, and if you can't see it, its your problem.

Are you still happy that your grand plan and DOF has improved the club rather than the previous plan of buying footballers good enough for a team with the 3rd biggest crowd in the country to qualify for europe on a regular basis, and more than the current "plan" of scouting for 2nd rate bargains and undermining ambitious managers, which you openly stated on numerous occasions "would be a step forward"

This is what I said btw.

mackems.gif

Well done.

Bye.

yes it does. Your own quote concedes that your DOF is involved with the choosing of managers which you agree with. And you agree with this - and can't admit that your plan, also implemented and dropped by your other team Spurs, has failed. Spectacularly.

Are you still happy that your grand plan and DOF has improved the club rather than the previous plan of buying footballers good enough for a team with the 3rd biggest crowd in the country to qualify for europe on a regular basis, and more than the current "plan" of scouting for 2nd rate bargains and undermining ambitious managers, which you openly stated on numerous occasions "would be a step forward"

I didn't say that I never said they should help picking the managers though so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything? ???

You haven't answered my questions btw, feel free to answer them now though if you like or link me to where you did answer them.

As for the DOF, if the club isn't making any money and Ashley won't put any of his own in then how exactly is that Dennis Wise's fault? If anything he should be credited on the players he managed to bring in without a budget, unless you're blaming Wise for the clubs lack of funds which wouldn't make much sense even for you.

If the club doesn't have money then setting up a good scouting network and looking to make big improvements to the academy will be even more important.

This is what I said btw.

mackems.gif

Well done.

Bye.

I didn't say that I never said they should help picking the managers though so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything? ???

You haven't answered my questions btw, feel free to answer them now though if you like or link me to where you did answer them.

As for the DOF, if the club isn't making any money and Ashley won't put any of his own in then how exactly is that Dennis Wise's fault? If anything he should be credited on the players he managed to bring in without a budget, unless you're blaming Wise for the clubs lack of funds which wouldn't make much sense even for you.

If the club doesn't have money then setting up a good scouting network and looking to make big improvements to the academy will be even more important.

bluelaugh.gif

told you lad.

If you're happy that you think the club has moved forward in the last 18 months, its your problem.

Night

This is what I said btw.

mackems.gif

Well done.

Bye.

bluelaugh.gif

told you lad.

If you're happy that you think the club has moved forward in the last 18 months, its your problem.

Night

Typical NE5, when someone puts a point over he can't answer he pulls out a laughing smilie and goes to bed.

:lol: ;D mackems.gif bluelaugh.gif :iamatwat:

so you're still happy with the implementation of your "plan" then ?

Not as happy as you'll be if we don't sign anyone in this window meaning Baggio is out of pocket. :thup:

I've got 1334 reasons for wanting us to sign players, how many do you have ?

Strange of you to say this - supporting the man who is going to relegate us, are you happy with that ?

Not as happy as you'll be if we don't sign anyone in this window meaning Baggio is out of pocket. :thup:

Strange of you to say this - supporting the man who is going to relegate us, are you happy with that ?

How would you of run the club? How would you finance it all? After all the "mis-investment" in the past would you trust the future of the club with just one man etc?

Seeing as though you have 1334 reasons for the success of the club, maybe you have an opinion on how you;d do things?

NJS reminds me of a painting I once saw, in a big exhibition of post-communist art, which was satirising the tawdry online ads with which women from Russia and Ukraine tried to lure a western husband. One bint's text about herself simply read: "I am looking for the nice millionaire."

NJS reminds me of a painting I once saw, in a big exhibition of post-communist art, which was satirising the tawdry online ads with which women from Russia and Ukraine tried to lure a western husband. One bint's text about herself simply read: "I am looking for the nice millionaire."

Extremely relevant to the thread of course. ;)

do you think he would consider a manager who won 4 titles with 2 different clubs and 3 manager of the year awards to be a good appointment, or do you think he would agree with you and think not  bluelaugh.gif

How would you of run the club? How would you finance it all? After all the "mis-investment" in the past would you trust the future of the club with just one man etc?

Seeing as though you have 1334 reasons for the success of the club, maybe you have an opinion on how you;d do things?

Are you still happy Ashley hasn't wasted any money on transfers in the last 12 months ?

You obviously haven't been reading the thread.  bluelaugh.gif

You obviously haven't been reading the thread.   bluelaugh.gif

he probably has, but most of us are used to you not replying to anything by now.

do you think he would consider a manager who won 4 titles with 2 different clubs and 3 manager of the year awards to be a good appointment, or do you think he would agree with you and think not  bluelaugh.gif

Aye, that's about the level it belongs on.

Ludmilla peers towards the camera in her sultry nylon nightie, putting on her sexiest accent: "I am looking for the manager who is winning four titles with two different clubs, and two manager of the year awards."

You obviously haven't been reading the thread.   bluelaugh.gif

I have thanks. I just thought it didn't really have any relevance at all. Apart from picking faults in anything posted by specific users that don't agree with your viewpoint.

Are you still happy Ashley hasn't wasted any money on transfers in the last 12 months ?

It wasnt a challenging question, i wanted to know how you'd of done things? Its a pretty open question, anyone care to oblige?

It wasnt a challenging question, i wanted to know how you'd of done things? Its a pretty open question, anyone care to oblige?

You won't restore the club into the european places and financial success that comes with it by refusing to back your manager. Still pleased he didn't waste any money by refusing to back his manager ?

I would like you to explain to me how you think that a struggling side leads to financial comfort ?

I'm not explaining all of this to you again.

You won't restore the club into the european places and financial success that comes with it by refusing to back your manager. Still pleased he didn't waste any money by refusing to back his manager ?

I would like you to explain to me how you think that a struggling side leads to financial comfort ?

I'm not explaining all of this to you again.

I have absolutely no idea why you wont answer this question. Its not even a loaded question, just a general query. How would you of done things differently when Ashley took over.

NJS said he'd of given £50m of his own money as a gift to the club and brought in a footballing expert and not of paid off the extra £50m debt which wasnt necessary. Theres no contigency plan for the season after, the the wage bill isnt being addressed and he'd still be willing to trust just one man with his money with no contignecy plans if he failed, apparently happy to risk losing £50 just ike that should it go wrong.