Looks like Shay is on his way

Dave

If Given really does want to leave I hope he is forced into putting in a transfer request. There is no way a player who wants to leave a club should get a 'loyalty bonus'. He may have been loyal for the past 11 years but a loyalty bonus is supposed to be for when a club wants to sell a player who hasn't asked (directly or otherwise) to leave.

It was disgusting when Barton wanted a loyalty bonus off Man City (which NUFC ended up paying for MCFC like the mug NUFC is).

Which is your opinion and one shared by many other supporters. Fair do's.

However now his agent (lawyer?) implies he wants to leave, as players at all clubs tend to from time to time, but because it's Newcastle it's because we have no ambition, and Freddie would never have allowed it to happen, and now we're back in the dark days of McKeag and Seymour, (Not necessarily your opinion).

At least Man Utd fans said "stuff him " when Ronaldo or his agent decided he wanted move.

My user name is Thespence not NE5 (Not necessarily saying you have got us mixed up though). In the statement it did mention  "turmoil on and off the pitch" which is very sad, does it mean he thinks we lack quality? the size of the squad is small?.

I am not 100% sure all Man Utd fans said stuff him.

aye mate, I saw it too.

Its a laughable post anyway. Does anybody seriously think that manu have anything to prove to any supporters, not least their own, that they lack ambition and in that respect we can be mentioned in the same breath - apart from the period where we challenged them and broke the world transfer record.

Oh, thats a thought. They never forgave Shearer for turning them down, twice.

Guest Howaythetoon

RE Shay he doesn't believe in NUFC anymore, he sees no hope in front of him and only what we're going through now and maybe even worse and he just can't bear to be part of it anymore, kidding himself. Shocking state of affairs all-round.

The idea of him playing for Tottenham makes my blood boil. Hopefully not.

people like you are going to have to get used to the idea that clubs like Spurs think bigger, act bigger than we do.

This is why Gazza and Waddle went there for that reason, despite what other people that say they are long term supporters will tell you.

The blip of the Halls and Shepherd, where we correctly punched our weight above clubs like this, is well and truly over.

Gazza, Waddle, Jenas....

:colo:

you're a fool if you seriously think the sale of Jeanarse and the circmstances of it compares to those of Waddle and Gazza.

Jenas left here because he thought he'd "hit a ceiling" and wanted to move on because Spurs were on the way up.

You can try and write it off and say he doesn't count but he clearly does.

a player with no particular affinity or feeling for the club, moving on after a few years ?

No. I don't think so.

Look at your history books, and read about Gazza, Waddle and Beardsley going.......and Pop Robson before that. Similar reasons to Given, but I'm sure you know better than those who witnessed it.

Bye.

I've been around during all those debacles you quote from Pop Robson up to Given but the possible departure of Given has NOTHING in common with the others. Nice try though.

I have to disagree - Robson wanted to leave because he thought the club were 'unprofessional' and he wanted to have a chance of winning things ; where is the difference to Shay's reasons to leave ?

Pop also thought NUFC had stood still after winning the Fairs Cup ; Shay thinks NUFC have gone BACKWARDS, which is actually even MORE reason to go.. he sees no future .

It is true, though, that Shay's possible departure has nothing in common with the REASONS NUFC sold Gazza, Waddle & Beardsley, although all 3 were happy to go because they wanted success and so does Shay - the club doesn't really want Given to leave, but they were quite happy for the local trio to go because they wanted the money.

The idea of him playing for Tottenham makes my blood boil. Hopefully not.

people like you are going to have to get used to the idea that clubs like Spurs think bigger, act bigger than we do.

This is why Gazza and Waddle went there for that reason, despite what other people that say they are long term supporters will tell you.

The blip of the Halls and Shepherd, where we correctly punched our weight above clubs like this, is well and truly over.

Gazza, Waddle, Jenas....

:colo:

you're a fool if you seriously think the sale of Jeanarse and the circmstances of it compares to those of Waddle and Gazza.

Jenas left here because he thought he'd "hit a ceiling" and wanted to move on because Spurs were on the way up.

You can try and write it off and say he doesn't count but he clearly does.

a player with no particular affinity or feeling for the club, moving on after a few years ?

No. I don't think so.

Look at your history books, and read about Gazza, Waddle and Beardsley going.......and Pop Robson before that. Similar reasons to Given, but I'm sure you know better than those who witnessed it.

Bye.

I've been around during all those debacles you quote from Pop Robson up to Given but the possible departure of Given has NOTHING in common with the others. Nice try though.

I have to disagree - Robson wanted to leave because he thought the club were 'unprofessional' and he wanted to have a chance of winning things ; where is the difference to Shay's reasons to leave ?

Pop also thought NUFC had stood still after winning the Fairs Cup ; Shay thinks NUFC have gone BACKWARDS, which is actually even MORE reason to go.. he sees no future .

It is true, though, that Shay's possible departure has nothing in common with the REASONS NUFC sold Gazza, Waddle & Beardsley, although all 3 were happy to go because they wanted success and so does Shay - the club doesn't really want Given to leave, but they were quite happy for the local trio to go because they wanted the money.

which he re-iterated to me 6 weeks ago

The toonarama link tells the story

http://www.toonarama.co.uk/seasons/1970s/1970-71/united_players_1970-71.html

Every transfer window for years Shay has been saying we need to  strengthen and it never happens, no one can blame him for feeling fkd off with it all, he is a world class keeper and could have had plenty of medals had he moved. He has been as loyal to us as Big Al was. I do not see him going he was just venting some anger and frustration, he knows if he goes we go down. He does love this club and I m sure he will be here at least until the summer anyway.

"his Toon torment predates even the arrival of controversial current owner Mike Ashley" - surely not etc.

and fellow NOTW reporter Rob Beasely is Mike Ashley's friend ?

Whatever. He signed a new contract 2 years ago despite being tormented and despite the club playing in europe.

Take it from me elbee, the club is rapidly becoming a complete farce of a club just like it used to be.

As much as I think Given's a great keeper I don't think him leaving would cause us to be relegated.  In fact selling Given and spending the money on a really good central midfielder would greatly improve our chances of staying up.  Simply because we have good cover in goal, while we don't have a single really good central midfielder.  Having said that we shouldn't have to sell Given to finances the signing of a midfielder.

As the Liverpool game perfectly illustrated you can have a world class keeper playing out of his skin and still get raped from behind. The time might be right for him to go if the price allows us to spend on some quality players.

However, i have a sneaking feeling that the public comments are designed to increase pressure on Ashley to spend ambitiously in the transfer market. Shay is settled in the North-east and by all accounts loves living up here.

Hopefully. He's complained about the need for signings several times in the past though, why disguise it this time?

As the Liverpool game perfectly illustrated you can have a world class keeper playing out of his skin and still get raped from behind. The time might be right for him to go if the price allows us to spend on some quality players.

However, i have a sneaking feeling that the public comments are designed to increase pressure on Ashley to spend ambitiously in the transfer market. Shay is settled in the North-east and by all accounts loves living up here.

Hopefully. He's complained about the need for signings several times in the past though, why disguise it this time?

Because nobody ever takes any notice?

Guest elbee909

"his Toon torment predates even the arrival of controversial current owner Mike Ashley" - surely not etc.

Whatever. He signed a new contract 2 years ago despite being tormented and despite the club playing in europe.

Take it from me elbee, the club is rapidly becoming a complete farce of a club just like it used to be.

I've never argued that it isn't, however I've not been happy with the lack of ambition now or before Ashley.

I think that it would be good footballing sense to sell shay for 8 or 9 mill and spend that money wisely on a left back, centre mdfielder and another more flexible defender (right back<centre back).

This is if we can persuade harper to sign an extension to his contract...

I've never argued that it isn't, however I've not been happy with the lack of ambition now or before Ashley.

I think you will find that we were one of the top spenders under the old board. All this unhappiness and disarray is being caused by the fact we aren't doing it anymore and people are used to seeing it. Its difficult to see how you can be unhappy with ambition when they were one of the top spenders and aimed to be in europe as a minimum target, rather than just stay in the premiership.

I think that it would be good footballing sense to sell shay for 8 or 9 mill and spend that money wisely on a left back, centre mdfielder and another more flexible defender (right back<centre back).

This is if we can persuade harper to sign an extension to his contract...

we shouldn't have to sell Given to spend that sort of money