The big N.O U-turn

Guest Howaythetoon

Where would the team be in the league if Keegan had remained in charge?

I think we could have finished top 8, although that would have been only if we had been extremely lucky with injuries. Although as the season started we had injuries to both full-backs despite Keegan saying we needed a left and a right-back. Now I know people will reply with well if you felt we could finish that high, then the recruitment team had done a good job and you felt we had an adequate enough squad. But this isn't the case at all, I put that down to Keegan's ability to get the most out of each and every player in the squad, much like he did towards the end of last season when things picked up.

So your sayingwe have a squad capable of fininshing in the top 8, just not the manager?

No we don't have a top eight squad at all, the starting XI if everyone was fit, yes, but not a squad.

I think we could have finished top 8, although that would have been only if we had been extremely lucky with injuries. Although as the season started we had injuries to both full-backs despite Keegan saying we needed a left and a right-back. Now I know people will reply with well if you felt we could finish that high, then the recruitment team had done a good job and you felt we had an adequate enough squad. But this isn't the case at all, I put that down to Keegan's ability to get the most out of each and every player in the squad, much like he did towards the end of last season when things picked up.

So your sayingwe have a squad capable of fininshing in the top 8, just not the manager?

I would agree we have a top 8 TEAM but not a SQUAD

Which means we arent capable of fininshing in the top 8?

I would agree we have a top 8 TEAM but not a SQUAD

Which means we arent capable of fininshing in the top 8?

Not with the injuries which are inevitable throughout a season, we have no cover.

It could be argued he just ended up picking better players eventually and dropping the shit ones, like Duff and Smith.

It could be argued he just ended up picking better players eventually and dropping the s*** ones, like Duff and Smith.

Results and performance improved when we went 4-3-3 with Viduka available for the 4 or so games he was fit. Before and after those games we were as disjointed as JFK's team 'before' he got his settled back four.

It could be argued he just ended up picking better players eventually and dropping the shit ones, like Duff and Smith.

Even though he completely changed the formation and balance of the side?

Whats funny is Keegan was meant to have had enough when Xisco was bought for him, Xisco was the straw that broke Keegans back and now here we are trying to sell Xisco after him not even getting a chance here.

He did, and he deserves credit for being brave enough to do it, but he still struggled to get results when key players were missing. It was only when Martins and Viduka became available we started to look like a threat, and it's been similar this season, with or without the formation. When we have our best players fit, we look a half decent outfit, when we get three or four injuries we look woeful.

Guest The Libertine

Well, still on course for a big U turn.  I notice ll the Ashley crowd have been fairly quiet the last few days.  Realisation setting in?

What would you like "us" to comment about?

the fact that the transfer window is now closed and we bought nobody. what else?

its like a school yard on here. "us vs them omg". pathetic.

I am waiting to the end of the window before I give any final verdict one way or the other. It would be a bit daft to start spouting off and then see 3 or 4 signings landing a couple of days before the deadline.

What I will say is this: Kinnear has been talking about signing in this transfer window since he was on a monthly contract. It won't look good for him or the board if that turns out to be hot air.

Whats funny is Keegan was meant to have had enough when Xisco was bought for him, Xisco was the straw that broke Keegans back and now here we are trying to sell Xisco after him not even getting a chance here.

Keegan was betrayed.

Ashleys lot are just making it up as they go along.

these two statements are FACTS,.

Ashley bummers running out of time, and excuses.

I am waiting to the end of the window before I give any final verdict one way or the other. It would be a bit daft to start spouting off and then see 3 or 4 signings landing a couple of days before the deadline.

What I will say is this: Kinnear has been talking about signing in this transfer window since he was on a monthly contract. It won't look good for him or the board if that turns out to be hot air.

Whether they're his words of those of his superiors, I honestly don't believe they give a fuck what we think.

Well, still on course for a big U turn.  I notice ll the Ashley crowd have been fairly quiet the last few days.  Realisation setting in?

What would you like "us" to comment about?

Just bumping the thread up TBH.  I know its only speculation but some of the muck we have been linked with is pretty depressing.  We've also heard all this bullshit before about "irons in the fire".

I have noticed that no-one has been sold yet too. There were fears that several key players (Owen, Given, N'Zogbia etc) would be sold this month with the intention of raising as much money as possible for fat Mike. Maybe that's not going to happen?  ???

Just a thought.

I'll reserve my judgemnt for sept 2nd if im honest. Its the only window that the club has no excuses to suceed. ;)

Don't be silly, the uncertainty over Kinnear's contract will be the excuse that time. Or the attempts to sell the club.

I'll reserve my judgemnt for sept 2nd if im honest. Its the only window that the club has no excuses to suceed. ;)

In that case why make such a song and dance for months about making signings in the Jan window? I am taking Joe at his word, I'm assuming he's got some idea that Ashley will back him and bring in faces. Although I am having a job keeping a straight face even as I type this.

Don't be silly, the uncertainty over Kinnear's contract will be the excuse that time. Or the attempts to sell the club.

We'll wait and see. Not sure why you think i hold a candle to Ashley, or am looking to make excuses for him, i'm not, i just see a set of circumstances which have worked against him. If i hadnt seen the arrival of Colo, or the arrival of Enriique, or the bid for Woodgate or the bids for Modric or the bid for Aimar and alledged bid for Schweinsteiger, hell even the appointment of Keegan, Im 99.9% certain id be on your cynical side, but these little things are keeping my faith alive.

Sorry for being an optimist.

I'm sure you'll find some, you were saying that last year.