Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Something some of you seem to forget is one of the most importent things, motivation. It was clear already after the loss against Liverpool, which Given branded the lowest point in his career, that he didn't had the motivation anymore to fight day in and out with a team that only went downhill. Also when he joined City he said that he was really looking forward to the training on monday, like he had not done that for awhile in Newcastle.

Based on this I think he left in just the right time. I rather have an eager Harper that now has the chance to show he can fill the void from Given, then having an unmotivated goalkeeper, that just wished he played in a better team.

Guest toonlass

Fair enough, he wants to challenge for silverware and that, but f***ing hell, City are just as likely to win something this year as we are. He could have waited til the summer.

Agree with this. I think that the club would have responded better had he waited until the summer. It would have shown more loyalty to have stayed and fought with us to keep us up. I think the money swayed it to be honest. Had he gone to Arsenal I could have bought his "moving for a chance of success" line, however Man Citeh are no better than we are, as the result at Stoke showed.

He was here for 12 years - thats pretty damn loyal, do you want him to get NUFC tatooed on his arse to reinforce it?

He has left us cos he knows we are deep in it - he wants to get out while he can and i dont blame him for that.

As for moving to Citeh - they are a million times more ambitious than us and thats why he joined them

He was paid a hell of a lot of money by Newcastle for 12 years too. Yes I would have expected him to stay and help us get out of the s***, but the money was far more tempting at Citeh.

If you believe it was all about money then you need some help lad

Its no wonder we are a fuckin mess when legends like Shay Given are being slated - we should be thanking him for 12 years of BRILLIANT service, sticking with us when he could have easily gotten himself a move to a bigger club to earn bigger money

I hope he gets a standing ovation the next time he comes to SJP - although the way its going its most likely to happen in a Cup fixture

If you think I am a lad then you need some help lad!

He spat his dummy out when he was dropped from the team a couple of years ago and wanted to leave. He got straight back into the team when he was fit despite Harper doing a perfectly fine job standing in for him. He should have stayed until the summer.

Lad, mate, uncle - whatever the point remains.

Given is a legend and has been brilliant for us - Im certainly not going to forget all his years of service and start discrediting him

Try another gender Ahmed

Whatever you say sonna. But don't forget that he deserted us when we needed him.

Something some of you seem to forget is one of the most importent things, motivation. It was clear already after the loss against Liverpool, which Given branded the lowest point in his career, that he didn't had the motivation anymore to fight day in and out with a team that only went downhill. Also when he joined City he said that he was really looking forward to the training on monday, like he had not done that for awhile in Newcastle.

Based on this I think he left in just the right time. I rather have an eager Harper that now has the chance to show he can fill the void from Given, then having an unmotivated goalkeeper, that just wished he played in a better team.

Exactly - I felt so sorry for him during that Liverpool game, You could see the pain on his face and that rant at the ref of his revealed his frustrations

He was sick of it - He stuck with us through many lows BUT this was one kick too many

It's sad how many people have turned against Given. I know he didn't leave under the best of circumstances but he was the one player who on a regular basis has called for Newcastle to invest in the squad (from my recollections he's done it before pretty much every transfer window for the last few years). I guess he finally had enough of not being listened to, or perhaps of being lied to, and has gone.  Sadly none of our other players will have the guts to come out and criticise the regime.

Perhaps he could have stayed till the end of the season, but he had the chance to get in on the ground floor at a club who are clearly on the up and he took it. I can't resent him for that.

It's sad how many people have turned against Given. I know he didn't leave under the best of circumstances but he was the one player who on a regular basis has called for Newcastle to invest in the squad (from my recollections he's done it pretty much before every transfer window for the last few years). I guess he finally had enough of not being listened to, or perhaps of being lied to, and has gone.  Sadly none of our other players will have the guts to come out and criticise the regime.

Perhaps he could have stayed till the end of the season, but he had the chance to get in on the ground floor at a club who are clearly on the up and he took it. I can't resent him for that.

Bang on.

It's sad how many people have turned against Given. I know he didn't leave under the best of circumstances but he was the one player who on a regular basis has called for Newcastle to invest in the squad (from my recollections he's done it pretty much before every transfer window for the last few years). I guess he finally had enough of not being listened to, or perhaps of being lied to, and has gone.  Sadly none of our other players will have the guts to come out and criticise the regime.

Bang on.

+1

Fair enough, he wants to challenge for silverware and that, but f***ing hell, City are just as likely to win something this year as we are. He could have waited til the summer.

Agree with this. I think that the club would have responded better had he waited until the summer. It would have shown more loyalty to have stayed and fought with us to keep us up. I think the money swayed it to be honest. Had he gone to Arsenal I could have bought his "moving for a chance of success" line, however Man Citeh are no better than we are, as the result at Stoke showed.

He was here for 12 years - thats pretty damn loyal, do you want him to get NUFC tatooed on his arse to reinforce it?

He has left us cos he knows we are deep in it - he wants to get out while he can and i dont blame him for that.

As for moving to Citeh - they are a million times more ambitious than us and thats why he joined them

He was paid a hell of a lot of money by Newcastle for 12 years too. Yes I would have expected him to stay and help us get out of the s***, but the money was far more tempting at Citeh.

If you believe it was all about money then you need some help lad

Its no wonder we are a fuckin mess when legends like Shay Given are being slated - we should be thanking him for 12 years of BRILLIANT service, sticking with us when he could have easily gotten himself a move to a bigger club to earn bigger money

I hope he gets a standing ovation the next time he comes to SJP - although the way its going its most likely to happen in a Cup fixture

If you think I am a lad then you need some help lad!

He spat his dummy out when he was dropped from the team a couple of years ago and wanted to leave. He got straight back into the team when he was fit despite Harper doing a perfectly fine job standing in for him. He should have stayed until the summer.

Lad, mate, uncle - whatever the point remains.

Given is a legend and has been brilliant for us - Im certainly not going to forget all his years of service and start discrediting him

Try another gender Ahmed

Whatever you say sonna. But don't forget that he deserted us when we needed him.

Ooops - sorry  :blush:

I dont think we 'need' him as Harper is a more than capable keeper. Our problems are not the Goalkeeping area

It says a lot about the state of the club that the loyalist player we have had in the past 20 years (the older posters amongst us can go back further) has decided enough is enough

Guest The Libertine

will man city be challenging for trophies in the future? very likely.

will given be on the bench when said challenges are happening? very likely.

Doubt it - brilliant keeper, amongst the best in the world so why would city bench him?

he's very replaceable. the richest club in the world will think nothing of benching a £6 million player if a better alternative comes along (and yes, there are better keepers around if you have the money).

It's sad how many people have turned against Given. I know he didn't leave under the best of circumstances but he was the one player who on a regular basis has called for Newcastle to invest in the squad (from my recollections he's done it before pretty much every transfer window for the last few years). I guess he finally had enough of not being listened to, or perhaps of being lied to, and has gone.  Sadly none of our other players will have the guts to come out and criticise the regime.

He signed a contract on the basis that as a club we will be looking to progress and try to challenge the top teams - as you say we have done absolutely nowt to show that in the transfer window. Infact we made a profit in this transfer window and im sure we broke even during last summer if not a profit

Another reason why I'm shit scared Newcastle may get relegated: -

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4896531,00.html

Given admits the defeat to Liverpool over the Christmas period made him consider his future conceding it was one of the lowest points of his career.

"In the last six months it has been fizzling out," added Given.

"It has not been enjoyable going into training. Maybe it's myself just being selfish, but I think I deserved a little bit better than that.

Doubt it - brilliant keeper, amongst the best in the world so why would city bench him?

he's very replaceable. the richest club in the world will think nothing of benching a £6 million player if a better alternative comes along (and yes, there are better keepers around if you have the money).

In terms of keeper they have a class one - I cant see them targetting the Buffons, Cassilas etc

Its the outfield players that they will target to make themselves a top team

Guest Mucky01

Given is only one of many NUFC players that hate Ashley and his cronies, they are gutted and angry at what’s happening to the club.

It is no coincidence that Given’s unrest became apparent after Ashley said he’s not selling and Kinnear saying he’s getting a 3 year contract.

I’m happy that Given stuck the knife in, it would have been easy for him to keep it zipped, but he’s angry – because he cares.

Guest toonlass

Anyway, just because I think Given should have waited until the summer to leave doesn't mean that I rate him any less as a keeper, or appreciate what he has done for the club while he has been here any less. I am just disappointed that he was unable to stay at the club and decided to move to citeh in January. I wonder if his motivation was dampened even more by his agent/lawyer whispering about Man City, Tottenham etc being interested in him.

Guest The Libertine

In terms of keeper they have a class one - I cant see them targetting the Buffons, Cassilas etc

they got robinho and were scarily close to getting kaka so i dont doubt that they'll go for a bigger name than given sooner rather than later.

Just been on SSN;

"I felt Newcastle could have dealt with it a little bit better, to be honest,"

"I spent nearly 12 years of my life there, and that's a long time. I want to thank the fans for the support they've given me over the years. They're absolutely phenomenal.

"But this is a new challenge, and a new set of supporters to try and impress.

"I'd been there nearly 12 years, and with the service I'd given the club, I felt the regime could have dealt with it a little better.

"I was disappointed with the way the regime handled it.

"It's a difficult time for Newcastle. They're going through a difficult period, and the fans deserve better. They're extremely loyal supporters up there.

"They want the club to be firing up the league, and I wish them well.

"The Liverpool game was a real kick in the teeth. It was a low point in my career, and a low point for everyone.

"I wasn't very comfortable with the way the club was - I wanted to be challenging for silverware, but I didn't know if I was going to leave the club.

"I'll be forever grateful for what (the fans) have done for me in my career, but I felt the regime were very unhelpful."

If a player wants to leave, fair enough, but he was on a contract and he can't expect to just walk off without any hassle.

'Ashley is crap and the fans are great' is just an easy way of getting sympathy and easing any sense of guilt. There's no need for it.

they got robinho and were scarily close to getting kaka so i dont doubt that they'll go for a bigger name than given sooner rather than later.

Err...I doubt they were planning to buy Kaka to replace Robinho.

Just been on SSN;

"I felt Newcastle could have dealt with it a little bit better, to be honest,"

"I spent nearly 12 years of my life there, and that's a long time. I want to thank the fans for the support they've given me over the years. They're absolutely phenomenal.

"But this is a new challenge, and a new set of supporters to try and impress.

"I'd been there nearly 12 years, and with the service I'd given the club, I felt the regime could have dealt with it a little better.

"I was disappointed with the way the regime handled it.

"It's a difficult time for Newcastle. They're going through a difficult period, and the fans deserve better. They're extremely loyal supporters up there.

"They want the club to be firing up the league, and I wish them well.

"The Liverpool game was a real kick in the teeth. It was a low point in my career, and a low point for everyone.

"I wasn't very comfortable with the way the club was - I wanted to be challenging for silverware, but I didn't know if I was going to leave the club.

"I'll be forever grateful for what (the fans) have done for me in my career, but I felt the regime were very unhelpful."

If a player wants to leave, fair enough, but he was on a contract and he can't expect to just walk off without any hassle.

'Ashley is crap and the fans are great' is just an easy way of getting sympathy and easing any sense of guilt. There's no need for it.

No, he's just genuinley frustrated as much as any of us. Simple really.

Guest The Libertine

Err...I doubt they were planning to buy Kaka to replace Robinho.

what?