Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Shame he was like a statue ten days ago when new team mate Bellamy beat him - as just seen in the goal of the month comp. (Not that he would do it on purpose like). :-[

That was Harper.

'Oh...'

I don't even think Given was that spectacular. Just MOTD of blowing smoke.

If you think they were bad, you really want to hear how Sky were going on.

I doubt either were that much more praise-worthy than they were when he played for us. Don't forget that was his debut so he's naturally going to get a bit more attention than he would in any other game, and he did make some good saves and keep a clean sheet.

Seriously - he just had to stand there and there were audible sounds of wanking going on in the commentary box.

Shame he was like a statue ten days ago when new team mate Bellamy beat him - as just seen in the goal of the month comp. (Not that he would do it on purpose like). :-[

That was Harper.

:blush:

Obviously my memory's going as well as Shay.

Just admit it, Given is a better keeper than Harper, there is a reason why he was our No1 for so long. Top keeper, tremendous servant and good luck to him, he deserved better, not sure thats with Man City but we will see.

Just watching Given save Man City from a number of good shots today.

Not nice seeing him doing for another club.

:dave:

He's going to win trophies with a team repeatedly torn apart by Boro you know.  :iamatwat:

:iamatwat: indeed!

For all their money and signings, Boro did cause them a few problems! and they are shit.

It never really felt like this before...  :-[

I mean, when a player left, and you had to see him at another club. Even with the likes of Les and Ginola, it didn't feel this wrong...

11 fucking years. Imagine Carragher and Gerrard leaving Liverpool, or Giggs and Scholes in their pomp leaving Man U. Just plain wrong...

I actually feel sick when I see him in that fucking orange shit. Never mind the fact that the rest of the world thinks it's so fucking great that city have got him...  :kinnear:

Guest sittingontheball

Shay's a great keeper, but there's no need to go overboard for a few stops from Alves that were straight at him.

If Boro are depending on Alves for goals, they are going down.

Guest toonlass

Had to turn off MOTD after watching the Citeh match for a few seconds. It felt so, so wrong to see him in a citeh shirt. Gutted.

the best keeper we've ever had, a man who has kept his trap shut when all around were mouthing off and a great servant of the club

but HTT thinks he can "f*** off"

and you ask me what is wrong with football and NUFC today...............

the best keeper we've ever had, a man who has kept his trap shut when all around were mouthing off and a great servant of the club

:thup:

I am in no doubt that Given is the best goalkeeper we've ever had (that I've seen), but to be fair, he hasn't always kept his trap shut through out his time with us.

Guest Howaythetoon

I recognise all that, but he can still f*** off.

I'm taking a hardline stance where players are concerned now. Don't want to play for my club? Then f*** off, go, good riddance. Doesn't matter who they are and what they have done here or why they want out.  When you decide you want out of my club, you're a deserter in my eyes now. Especially in the manner in which Shay left. If things were so bad for him here he should have handed in a transfer request the day he stopped wanting to be here. But it appears the small matter of a loyalty bonus was just as important and for that he can f*** off. I hope his career goes down hill and he fails spectacularly at Man City. I'd piss myself laughing if they spent huge money on Buffon and he ended up as number 2. Fingers crossed. Me, bitter? Damn right!

Not bothered in the slightest, he didn't want to be here any longer so can fuck off.

Ditto. He's been worshipped on Tyneside for years, but now he's just another prick playing for Man City. He wasn't forced out he got his agent to put the feelers out like plenty of other ingrates have done in the past. Good luck Shay and yes..please do fuck off.

I'm as interested in Given as I am Bellamy, Dyer, N'Zogbia, Parker, etc. I.e. Not at all interested. They aren't our players anymore so who cares?

Shay's a great keeper, but there's no need to go overboard for a few stops from Alves that were straight at him.

If Boro are depending on Alves for goals, they are going down.

I agree with that. The hype Given was getting was ridiculous. All 4 of Alves' shots were directly at Given. If he'd aimed at a corner of the goal he'd have scored.

Great keeper, great servant, but he has not kept his trap shut. He's had his bad moments like any player.

Pretty much what I was getting at  :thup:

Exactly Stevie Harper has had great games too - and will have more to come.

Not the loss he thinks he is, Shay.

Great keeper, great servant and a Newcastle legend.

But he didn't want to be here anymore.  He checked out after the Liverpool defeat, and you just can't afford to keep him around.  Survival is too important.  Same goes for Zoggy, and any other player that isn't up for it.  He had to go and for that reason I don't feel particularly bad about it.  It is one thing to sell your best players for money - it is entirely different to sell them when they simply don't want to play for you anymore.