Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

the best keeper we've ever had, a man who has kept his trap shut when all around were mouthing off and a great servant of the club

but HTT thinks he can "f*** off"

and you ask me what is wrong with football and NUFC today...............

I recognise all that, but he can still f*** off.

I'm taking a hardline stance where players are concerned now. Don't want to play for my club? Then f*** off, go, good riddance. Doesn't matter who they are and what they have done here or why they want out.  When you decide you want out of my club, you're a deserter in my eyes now. Especially in the manner in which Shay left. If things were so bad for him here he should have handed in a transfer request the day he stopped wanting to be here. But it appears the small matter of a loyalty bonus was just as important and for that he can f*** off. I hope his career goes down hill and he fails spectacularly at Man City. I'd piss myself laughing if they spent huge money on Buffon and he ended up as number 2. Fingers crossed. Me, bitter? Damn right!

Can I ask what's your opinion of Keegan?

Guest Howaythetoon

the best keeper we've ever had, a man who has kept his trap shut when all around were mouthing off and a great servant of the club

I'm taking a hardline stance where players are concerned now. Don't want to play for my club? Then f*** off, go, good riddance. Doesn't matter who they are and what they have done here or why they want out.  When you decide you want out of my club, you're a deserter in my eyes now. Especially in the manner in which Shay left. If things were so bad for him here he should have handed in a transfer request the day he stopped wanting to be here. But it appears the small matter of a loyalty bonus was just as important and for that he can f*** off. I hope his career goes down hill and he fails spectacularly at Man City. I'd piss myself laughing if they spent huge money on Buffon and he ended up as number 2. Fingers crossed. Me, bitter? Damn right!

KK was forced out, Given wasn't. Shay tried to hang around despite wanting out in order to get a bonus, KK when he wanted out, he went there and then. Not that the two are comparable.

KK was forced out, Given wasn't. Shay tried to hang around despite wanting out in order to get a bonus, KK when he wanted out, he went there and then. Not that the two are comparable.

Rubbish.  KK didn't agree with the direction the club was taking so he walked (twice!).....the same as Given.

Shay tried to hang around despite wanting out in order to get a bonus

Eh?

KK when he wanted out, he went there and then

Rubbish, again. Dissagreements between KK and the board were going on before the day he resigned. This is proven by his speeding offence reports that came out the other day.

Not that the two are comparable

:lol:

If Given could have walked like KK with no contract problems he would have. Both as bad as each other.

Rats and a sinking ship.

y

f***ing hell.

ou couldn't make it up could you?

HTT & TT presumably think players should sign on for life with one club.............  it used to be called slavery  :shifty: :shifty:

If Given could have walked like KK with no contract problems he would have. Both as bad as each other.

Rats and a sinking ship.

y

f***ing hell.

ou couldn't make it up could you?

HTT & TT presumably think players should sign on for life with one club.............   it used to be called slavery   :shifty: :shifty:

No, but when a player deserts us he should expect grief.

The grief equation:

Club situation x player ability - transfer fee = Grief

Relegation battle (+ winter window) x European class keeper - shitty measly transfer fee = SERIOUS AMOUNTS OF FUKING GRIEF!!!!

He's switched clubs. I don't follow City. I don't care about any other team in the EPL than Newcastle. I still wish him the best of luck.

On a side note... when Ashley is out or remember the pin code to his VISA card... we'll get Buffon or Akinfeev  :razz:, at least we are not competing with City about those two  ;D

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm just extremely bitter at the moment and pretty gutted about Shay leaving us, I'll come around one day though and will give Shay his due.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought this worthwhile of a bump as it has now come out (from Llambias at the Supporter's Panel meeting) that the fee we received for Shay Given was £5.9m.

Let the moaning commence. (Probably justified, to be honest.)

Guest firetotheworks

We cant even hold the worlds richest club to ransom for a decent fee for our best player. So fuck if he wanted to go, better an unhappy Given going for what he's worth at another time than selling him for peanuts.

Thought this worthwhile of a bump as it has now come out (from Llambias at the Supporter's Panel meeting) that the fee we received for Shay Given was £5.9m.

Let the moaning commence. (Probably justified, to be honest.)

Where did you seen this? Seen a few bits from the Chronicle but I didn't read that.

Given is a cunt end of.

Whinged his way to being sold on the cheap; this included refusing to play for our club. How anyone has any respect left for him is beyond me. Couldn't have left at a worse time, the fee couldn't be much worse. Can only wish him the worst.

Guest The Libertine

given hardly helped tbf. begging to leave and practically forcing us to sell him for whatever price was offered. this is probably the only outgoing player who we've not got a fair or generous price for.

Not sure I understand the criticism concerning not holding Manchester City to ransom over him.  Keeping him on on whatever wages, upset and rotting in the reserves and not knowing who (if anyone) was going to come knocking in the summer or beyond seems a huge risk.  Getting what was gettable and him out the door still seems like the smarter move.

But eh, he's moved on and I'll try to too.  Agree with others that the way he went about it deserves no excuses and really lowered my opinion of him.