Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

One thing we can say about the club at the moment is that they seem to be good at extracting the most money for players. The Milner sale was a good example.

(Obviously I delete this if the final fee is £5m!)

we robbed west ham with dyer TBH. Emre. Retaining the value of rozenhal. It can only be a good thing.

Guest The Libertine

One thing we can say about the club at the moment is that they seem to be good at extracting the most money for players. The Milner sale was a good example.

(Obviously I delete this if the final fee is £5m!)

almost every outgoing deal has been a good example really. i cant think of anyone we really got ripped off with.

(omg da net spend!!)

Given has tarnished his reputation in my eyes. Loyal, massively well paid servant that he has been, he was always happy to sign those new contracts. If he wanted out he should have handed in an official transfer request before the transfer window opened not two days before it closes. Using his lawyer to voice his wish to leave was very bad form. I hope Newcastle wait until February the 2nd before selling him. Make the bastards at Man City sweat. They've been happy to pay way over the odds for other players yet won't even offer a fair price for Given? I don't begrudge Given wanting to leave. I do begrudge the methods he has employed to engineer the move.

Finally handed one in on the 30th Jan. :hmm:

Fucking hell.

presumably the loyalty thing might swing the deal either way, save the club 1m or whatever it might be?

pretty sad that he's going there in a sense, they're gonna have 0 fucking stability until hughes is gone...even then they'll have to appoint the right guy after that

i get the feeling he's gonna be looking at his last 11 years multiplied to the power of $$$$$ and brazilian sex crimes

Swap for Elano maybe, its to late for the cash to come in handy, so pay a lot of sort out a swap, I am happy we are standing firm though City need to learn a lesson.

Aye but bare in mind we aren't doing it out of principal but out of greed.

we should be greedy.

Guest Howaythetoon

He can fuck off as well, love the man for what he's done here and he'll always be held in high regard by me for that but i've lost a lot of respect for him as a person after this. I would love it if he doesn't get his wish, it would serve him right. Although we need the money. Still I'll be sad to see him go.

He can fuck off as well, love the man for what he's done here and he'll always be held in high regard by me for that but i've lost a lot of respect for him as a person after this. I would love it if he doesn't get his wish, it would serve him right. Although we need the money. Still I'll be sad to see him go.

could understand if it was arsenal, liverpool or maybe even villa but man city...won't end well imo

Guest diddimz

Hold him for ransom, yeh he's requested to go, but it's still up to the club, and if they don't offer what he's worth then they won't get him.

What difference does a transfer request make? We're still in the same position as before, just because he's done this it doesn't mean we HAVE to sell him.

It'll save us any loyalty bonus, which I'd imagine is pretty substantial for a player like Given.

We'll get what we want, its thenature of the window - ive not seen them being linked with any other keepers this window so they've got theremind set on Given and we're using thewindow as it should be - drawing it out till they offer more.

We're basically in a win win situaiotn here, we either get what we're after or keep shay withthe possilbity of "proving our worth" or sellinghim in the summer.

What difference does a transfer request make? We're still in the same position as before, just because he's done this it doesn't mean we HAVE to sell him.

It'll save us any loyalty bonus, which I'd imagine is pretty substantial for a player like Given.

Surely the statement saying he wanted to leave would do that.

We'll get what we want, its thenature of the window - ive not seen them being linked with any other keepers this window so they've got theremind set on Given and we're using thewindow as it should be - drawing it out till they offer more.

We're basically in a win win situaiotn here, we either get what we're after or keep shay withthe possilbity of "proving our worth" or sellinghim in the summer.

...and then can't afford anyone else ourselves.

It'll be a contractual thing. Until he puts in a written transfer request, he'll be entitled to any loyalty bonus.

It'll be a contractual thing. Until he puts in a written transfer request, he'll be entitled to any loyalty bonus.

So how come we had to pay Bartons when he hadn't handed in a request?

So how come we had to pay Bartons when he hadn't handed in a request?

Eh? He was entitled to it, and we agreed to pay it instead of his club.