Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

We've allowed him to speak to City so that as soon as we agree a fee, all he needs is a medical and he can sign.

Can you not see Given coming out in tomorrow's papers pleeding the club to allow him to leave for City after he has been such a good servant etc..? By letting him speak to City we are sending out the message we are resigned to losing him, instead of a message where City will have to stump up or give up. I'm sure Given and City wouldn't need days to agree on personal terms if they both want the move, so that argument's rubbish. I fear letting him speak to City before agreeing a transfer fee may well have knocked a few millions of the fee. We will be faced by a player who is hell bent on leaving us after his new club have dangled a carrot in his face. Where do we go if City don't offer what we want after all this: have one of our best players go on strike while we're in a relegation struggle..?

The way I see it is that Newcastle let Given agree terms with Man City and then all that is left to do is negotiate a price. Newcastle can wait until the last possible moment on deadline day. Man City obviously really want Given. Newcastle can keep turning down Man City's offers until they get to what Newcastle want for Given. Worst case scenario is he doesn't leave. Not good having a player who doesn't want to be here but I think Man City will pony up before that happens.

Or Man City aren't daft and bring in another top class goalkeeper at the 11th hour (one we weren't aware of they were working on) or treathen to do so leaving us up shit creek with a peddle unless we sell at a discount.

The way I see it is that Newcastle let Given agree terms with Man City and then all that is left to do is negotiate a price. Newcastle can wait until the last possible moment on deadline day. Man City obviously really want Given. Newcastle can keep turning down Man City's offers until they get to what Newcastle want for Given. Worst case scenario is he doesn't leave. Not good having a player who doesn't want to be here but I think Man City will pony up before that happens.

We should have given them a price and told them it goes up by £X every day.

Exactly, we were in the driving seat in this negotiation, but we've handed over the wheel to them..

We've allowed him to speak to City so that as soon as we agree a fee, all he needs is a medical and he can sign.

Can you not see Given coming out in tomorrow's papers pleeding the club to allow him to leave for City after he has been such a good servant etc..? By letting him speak to City we are sending out the message we are resigned to losing him, instead of a message where City will have to stump up or give up. I'm sure Given and City wouldn't need days to agree on personal terms if they both want the move, so that argument's rubbish. I fear letting him speak to City before agreeing a transfer fee may well have knocked a few millions of the fee. We will be faced by a player who is hell bent on leaving us after his new club have dangled a carrot in his face. Where do we go if City don't offer what we want after all this: have one of our best players go on strike while we're in a relegation struggle..?

Or Man City aren't daft and bring in another top class goalkeeper at the 11th hour (one we weren't aware of they were working on) or treathen to do so leaving us up s*** creek with a peddle unless we sell at a discount.

Why are we up s*** creek ? We still wouldn't need to sell, we've not spent anything yet. If he wants to leave and a club won't bid what we want, then simply he doesn't leave and has to wait till the summer and in the mean time he sits on the bench.

Exactly, we were in the driving seat in this negotiation, but we've handed over the wheel to them..

We (the fans) don't know what we're doing, we've (the club) haven't been bad all so far when selling.

Or Man City aren't daft and bring in another top class goalkeeper at the 11th hour (one we weren't aware of they were working on) or treathen to do so leaving us up s*** creek with a peddle unless we sell at a discount.

Why are we up s*** creek ? We still wouldn't need to sell, we've not spent anything yet. If he wants to leave and a club won't bid what we want, then simply he doesn't leave and has to wait till the summer and in the mean time he sits on the bench.

And that scenario doesn't ring alarm bells with you..!? In a relegation scrap with our number 1 goalkeeper and one of our few recognized quality players sitting on the bench refusing to help out as we sink deeper in the shit yet continue to pay his wages because we screwed up his "dream move after 11 years of loyal service". The press will have a field day too, and the pressure on Harper or the youngsters if, God forbit, Harper gets injured will be ridiculous..

The fact is we need to sell Given after everything that's transpired this transfer window. We should have agreed a fee before letting him discuss personal terms and we have nothing to gain from the current unfolding scenario.

Or Man City aren't daft and bring in another top class goalkeeper at the 11th hour (one we weren't aware of they were working on) or treathen to do so leaving us up shit creek with a peddle unless we sell at a discount.

Man City paid £19m for De Jong when he had a clause in his contract allowing him to go for £2.3m in the Summer. They are daft.

We (the fans) don't know what we're doing, we've (the club) haven't been bad all so far when selling.

Fair enough I guess. It just seems like we are letting in the buyer's demolishers in our property before we've agreed on a price to sell it at..

Fair enough I guess. It just seems like we are letting in the buyer's demolishers in our property before we've agreed on a price to sell it at..

We've told them to piss off so far, they've had bids rejected, this one could go to the deadline.

We've told them to piss off so far, they've had bids rejected, this one could go to the deadline.

By telling them they're free to get in touch with Shay and discuss personal terms?

By telling them they're free to get in touch with Shay and discuss personal terms?

We've rejected the two bids so far.

I am aware of that, but do you not think allowing him to speak to City has any relevance..? What sort of signal do you think that sends to City and Shay?

I am aware of that, but do you not think allowing him to speak to City has any relevance..? What sort of signal do you think that sends to City and Shay?

We'll see who is right when the window closes.

I think the signal is that we'll sell if the price is right, even if it goes up to the deadline.

Guest johnson293

My take on it is that we are resigned to Shay going, and are allowing him to discuss terms to speed up any deal, ONCE we have received an acceptable offer, with the window closing Monday tea-time.

I have no doubt that if the right offer isn't forthcoming, then we will happily pull the plug on the deal, even if it means bringing an unhappy keeper back to wait until Summer.

We have signed Harper on now, which is a sign that Shay was not expected to stay - it down to Man City to raise their bid now or offer an acceptable player as part of the deal (which JFK alluded to yesterday), if they really want Given.

Surely he (Given) has to recognise that £5m is a derisery offer for him, as well.

We'll see who is right when the window closes.

How do you determine who is right? If he goes for 8 million,will that be good business or not? Could we have got more?

It just doesn't sit well with me that we are sending out the signal that we don't expect Given to be here at the end of this transfer window. We should have kept our foot down and have City offer us what we want or tell them to take a hike..

How do you determine who is right? If he goes for 8 million,will that be good business or not? Could we have got more?

It just doesn't sit well with me that we are sending out the signal that we don't expect Given to be here at the end of this transfer window. We should have kept our foot down and have City offer us what we want or tell them to take a hike..

By "right" I mean we'll see who caves in first on the negotiating. You are saying Newcastle shouldn't have let Given talk to Man City. My opinion is that Newcastle buy themselves negotiating time by letting everything else be sorted out apart from the fee. Losing Given isn't good but he wants to leave. £5m is a joke offer. The money Man City have paid for other players in this window mean Given should be going for at least £12m in my opinion. If he goes for £8m it isn't great but it is better than £5m. It looks like whatever we get will be too late to spend. We may as well try to screw them out of every penny we can.

Guest Magpie007

cash + [layer offer for shay might be good business depending on the player coming this way i would not say no to dunne

By "right" I mean we'll see who caves in first on the negotiating. You are saying Newcastle shouldn't have let Given talk to Man City. My opinion is that Newcastle buy themselves negotiating time by letting everything else be sorted out apart from the fee. Losing Given isn't good but he wants to leave. £5m is a joke offer. The money Man City have paid for other players in this window mean Given should be going for at least £12m in my opinion. If he goes for £8m it isn't great but it is better than £5m. It looks like whatever we get will be too late to spend. We may as well try to screw them out of every penny we can.

I agree 12m would be an OK price. I don't see why they aren't willing to pay that for one of the best keepers in the premiership when they paid that for Bridge?

Guest justin99.

I've got the awful feeling that ashley (or whoever is negotiating) is trying to play hardball to make city offer, which will fail and end up accepting 5million or less

I've got the awful feeling that ashley (or whoever is negotiating) is trying to play hardball to make city offer, which will fail and end up accepting 5million or less

Have our current regime ever let anyone go on the cheap?