Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

In terms of business it makes absolute sense to cash in on him now, he didn't want to be here and he's starting to get on a bit. It's the sentimental side of it that sucks, eleven years at the club and he's finally decided to chuck in the towel, just wish he'd held out for the big club he deserved

Sad day for the club, undoubtedly.

Selling a player who didn't want to be here?

Nah.

Urgh, ok. A sad situation then, that better?

I'm annoyed he's chosen to walk out on us.

But if he doesn't want to be here then he can f***ing suck eggs. Hope we spend the cash WISEly. ;) 

I'm sad that one of my personal heroes has decided he's had enough of this s*** club. That's what i was getting at. :thup:

Then that's up to you my friend.  :thup:

Personally, I couldn't give a s*** about him (or anyone else who doesn't want to play for Newcastle United for that matter). He doesn't want to see it through, then f*** him. 

Agree 100%

Darren Bent would be a fantasitc signing with the way we're playing, couldnt think of a player more suited to our predicament than him. Can lead the line of his own, him and Martins up front would be sexual chocolate.

Guest Stephen927

Read the paragraph, it says to possibly discuss a reduced amount, why do you think it has taken four days to agree a fee because Newcastle wanted a player, we have got no-one, what interest is it for Newcastle to sell less than 24hours before the window shuts as the same as Charlie because there was excahnges involved.

I am telling you Man City have got him on the cheap

It was only a couple of minutes ago you were telling us he had failed a medical.

Log out and go to bed bonny lad.  :lol:

Wish him the best of luck, has put up with a fair bit in his time here and I genuinely believe he cares about the club. Unlike the rest of us though he can get out. Its not as if he has jumped at the first sign of trouble, its been going down the shitter since Sir Bobby was sacked!

I also don't believe he failed a medical so we accepted a reduced fee, surely if he has failed a medical they couldn't insure him therefore couldn't complete the signing anyway...

Guest timmy boy

Strange that it's an undisclosed fee, haven't City released figures for all their other deals under their current owners?

Guest toonlass

To be honest I am gutted about this. We had to let him go when he said he no longer wanted to be here. But its really hit home the fucked up state of our club when someone like Given, who has been here for 11 years walks away. I'm dissapointed that he no longer sees Newcastle as a club he wants to be at.

rumours pretty strong about the failed medical mind.

Deal takes longer than expected, no wonder there were loads of rumours going around. Seem to remember a few "failed medical" stories for some of our transfers that took a little longer than expected (Dyer, Emre..).

Guest northwestmag1892

Sad day for the club, undoubtedly.

Selling a player who didn't want to be here?

Nah.

Urgh, ok. A sad situation then, that better?

I'm annoyed he's chosen to walk out on us.

But if he doesn't want to be here then he can f***ing suck eggs. Hope we spend the cash WISEly. ;) 

I'm sad that one of my personal heroes has decided he's had enough of this s*** club. That's what i was getting at. :thup:

Then that's up to you my friend.  :thup:

Personally, I couldn't give a s*** about him (or anyone else who doesn't want to play for Newcastle United for that matter). He doesn't want to see it through, then f*** him. 

People not acknowledging what he has given to NUFC beggars belief. "F*** him"??? Maybe show him some fucking respect.

rumours pretty strong about the failed medical mind.

Deal takes longer than expected, no wonder there were loads of rumours going around. Seem to remember a few "failed medical" stories for some of our transfers that took a little longer than expected (Dyer, Emre..).

And they turned out to be fine specimins of fitness. :lol:

Guest Toon Ice Bear

So it will be for the reduced amount then with no players involved, not a very good deal for us.

It could be 15M, who knows. It's City :lol:

But then It's  :kinnear: at the other end...

Guest toonlass

Strange that it's an undisclosed fee, haven't City released figures for all their other deals under their current owners?

Could be our lot asking for the fee to be undisclosed. They probably don't want us to know how much they got for him, so that they can say they didn't have the money to spend on someone tomorrow.

In terms of business it makes absolute sense to cash in on him now, he didn't want to be here and he's starting to get on a bit. It's the sentimental side of it that sucks, eleven years at the club and he's finally decided to chuck in the towel, just wish he'd held out for the big club he deserved

Think this sums it up for me.

On his day the best shot stopper I've watched. 

Am I the only person who doesn't rate Given as highly as others? I'd rather have a goalkeeper that could organise a defence or at least a wall on a freekick. Fantastic shotstopper though but it's not like he ever kept us in games, if he played well, we usually lost.

No you're not the only person.

Not at all.

Nor will it wash that he's left for a bigger club, Arsenal or Man Utd could be considered that but even with the Arab's billions Man City will never be bigger than Newcastle. It's money and nothing else.

Thanks Shay - good luck.

I like this post! they will NEVER be bigger than Newcastle?!  They nearly attracted Kaka, have more chance of winning silverware for next how many years? plus good stadium and loyal supporters who filled out their stadium even when they went down numerous divisions.  A club with a fair bit of history, but because they signed good ol' Shay they will NEVER be bigger than us relegation fodder for the foreseeable future.

Kudos

I wonder why Shay went, daft lad?