The Future of NUFC

LoveItIfWeBeatU

So Ashley was more forced to keep the club rather him wanting to keep it..

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/01/09/magpies-sale-lost-to-bank-scandal-61634-22650439/

Magpies sale ‘lost to bank scandal’

Jan 9 2009 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

KEITH Harris, the man charged with finding a buyer for Newcastle United, last night claimed that the $50billion fraud perpetrated by rogue investment banker Bernie Madoff wrecked the attempts of two wealthy groups to buy the club and forced owner Mike Ashley into reversing his decision to sell

So Ashley was more forced to keep the club rather him wanting to keep it..

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/01/09/magpies-sale-lost-to-bank-scandal-61634-22650439/

Magpies sale lost to bank scandal

Jan 9 2009 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

KEITH Harris, the man charged with finding a buyer for Newcastle United, last night claimed that the $50billion fraud perpetrated by rogue investment banker Bernie Madoff wrecked the attempts of two wealthy groups to buy the club and forced owner Mike Ashley into reversing his decision to sell

Hmmm.

Guest Darth Toon

After careful consideration I think the main question that needs to be adressed is

Do they show championship games on sky or online?

Very rarely.

Potential disaster for those of us living abroad - Championship football means far fewer Saturday afternoons down the pub for me.  :weep:

Guest Howaythetoon

"Would actually welcome a collapse of football as a whole"

:lol: Jesus, just one new low after another for you isn't it.

Economically.

Stick to soccer.

Economically.

Stick to soccer.

Oooh, that stings. I think I'll go hang my head in shame for being American now.

But... wait... I'm not  :idiot2:

Economically.

Stick to soccer.

Oooh, that stings. I think I'll go hang my head in shame for being American now.

But... wait... I'm not  :idiot2:

Sir John Hall used to call it "soccer" too

You want football to collapse, HTT?

What the f*** are you on, man?

Lol, I kind of understand what he's saying. We are s****, so lets make everyone else s**** too.  Then start again.

I find this strangely appealing cause the current situation in English football pisses me right off. (Not just becasue we're shit!)  :lol:

Guest thenorthumbrian

Well, Im 26 and sure, I wasnt around for the really bad times of the 80

On a wider point (ie football in general), is anyone else who remembers the time starting to think that the 80s weren't actually that bad after all?

There might have been 15-20,000 in grounds on a frequent basis, but at least they all gave a f*** and weren't just doing something to keep little Jonty and India entertained for a couple of hours before the theatre.

I agree Brummie, the football seemed more entertaining, the atmosphere and day out were often more fun - it's all so sanitised nowadays.

I quite enjoy watching Scottish football on Setanta as it looks more like our game did back then and you can almost identify with the players as fellow human beings as opposed to the 22 full (mainly foreign) internationals of a Premier league game.

Many on here (but not many I actually see at the match) are talking about giving up attending next season - citing Ashley as their excuse as he's to blame for all our woes and the world recession too - but frankly most of those who will go are the perpetual whingers or those who jumped on the fashion bandwagon a few years ago - so we may be left with just the real fans again.

There are people I know who have been going for years and are in no way people who have jumped on any kind of bandwagon but are talking of turning their backs on the club.

The worrying thing is some of these people have stopped getting angry and are becoming apathetic.   

On a wider point (ie football in general), is anyone else who remembers the time starting to think that the 80s weren't actually that bad after all?

There might have been 15-20,000 in grounds on a frequent basis, but at least they all gave a f*** and weren't just doing something to keep little Jonty and India entertained for a couple of hours before the theatre.

I agree Brummie, the football seemed more entertaining, the atmosphere and day out were often more fun - it's all so sanitised nowadays.

I quite enjoy watching Scottish football on Setanta as it looks more like our game did back then and you can almost identify with the players as fellow human beings as opposed to the 22 full (mainly foreign) internationals of a Premier league game.

Many on here (but not many I actually see at the match) are talking about giving up attending next season - citing Ashley as their excuse as he's to blame for all our woes and the world recession too - but frankly most of those who will go are the perpetual whingers or those who jumped on the fashion bandwagon a few years ago - so we may be left with just the real fans again.

There are people I know who have been going for years and are in no way people who have jumped on any kind of bandwagon but are talking of turning their backs on the club.

The worrying thing is some of these people have stopped getting angry and are becoming apathetic.    

Couldn't word this any better. This is where the problem will lie.

Couldn't word this any better. This is where the problem will lie.

which was basically the problem for just about 30 years pre-1992.

But such comments are frowned upon.

Some sort of collapse back to dirt poor football clubs is hardly gonna signal some great change in the way the fans are treated.  I know exactly what HTT wants, but I think the lack of TV money and all the trappings that the Premiership brings will mean shit facilities for the fans, a return of violence and hooliganism on the terraces, and terrible football.  While I understand the problems Sky causes for fans and see the need for their wings to be clipped (quite a bit, in fact), I don't think enough people appreciate what football would be like if Sky's money was suddenly gone from the game.

The future doesn't bear thinking about at the minute. If this transfer window goes the way I expect it to then I'm not looking forward to the rest of the season at all. Beyond that, who the fuck knows? Anything can happen.