Rafa signs new Liverpool contract

Skirge

So that's Rafa who wants full control, Wenger & Ferguson come out and back Keegan, and it's the reason why Mourinho left last season. If only the best managers had to take orders from Dennis Wise eh?

mourinho left because it started to go bad and his way round it was to go all FM08 and just try and buy his way out of trouble. all managers have limited authority in the transfer market (even keegan under the halls, when they wouldn't but him beppe signori). if wenger or ferguson go to their boards and say they want to compete with citeh for kaka....what do you think they'll be told ?

But Wenger or Ferguson wouldn't even say that so the point is mute.

because they know what the answer would be ?

they work within their means and maybe rafa wants to push too far.

By having more control of transfer policy and the youth team? Isn't that what being a manager is, having control over these things?

but a manager must also be aware of his constraints. maybe his board don't think rafa is too aware of his ?

Then why should he sign the contract if he feels like he's not being allowed to manage?

So that's Rafa who wants full control, Wenger & Ferguson come out and back Keegan, and it's the reason why Mourinho left last season. If only the best managers had to take orders from Dennis Wise eh?

mourinho left because it started to go bad and his way round it was to go all FM08 and just try and buy his way out of trouble. all managers have limited authority in the transfer market (even keegan under the halls, when they wouldn't but him beppe signori). if wenger or ferguson go to their boards and say they want to compete with citeh for kaka....what do you think they'll be told ?

By having more control of transfer policy and the youth team? Isn't that what being a manager is, having control over these things?

but a manager must also be aware of his constraints. maybe his board don't think rafa is too aware of his ?

Then why should he sign the contract if he feels like he's not being allowed to manage?

he hasn't signed it.

all managers have constraints (even mourinho found out)

But they won't be signed players they didn't want, at all. Nor will players be sold without their permission.

That is what is alleged to have happened with Mourinho, particular examples being the Shevchenko transfer and the sale of Gallas. Although Mourinho always maintained that everything was OK, as Keegan did with us, the signs were there that he was being undermined by those above him, which seemed to have started with the arrival of Frank Arnesen.

he hasn't signed it.

all managers have constraints (even mourinho found out)

We can only guess to what extent Rafa wants more control but it must be said that its very bad business for the LFC board not to be able to negotiate reasonably behind the scenes with a manager who has already won them 1CL, 1 FA Cup and is currently top of the Premiership and in their strongest position in years.

If they cock this up this year they will look back at this being one of the reasons the season started to fall apart and morale started to drop. If they do fail, who will the fans blame ?

• 2 months later...

To think when Liverpool and ourselves were rivals. They sacked the man that was failing them and replaced him with Rafa while we put off the decision to retire the man who had clearly shown that his time was over and ended up with Souness. What a pivotal moment that was in both our clubs history. Liverpool took the right action that lead to being crowned European Champions while we begun our plunge towards the championship.

Guest quklaani

Hell of a gamble giving him a new contract based on two (admittedly fantastic) results.  There's every chance they'll be out of Europe in the quarters and finish double figures behind the leaders again.  It seems to me that Liverpool have been almost exactly the same as every year under him, except for a couple of away games at Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford, is that enough to think he'll be able to finally win them the league?

Hell of a gamble giving him a new contract based on two (admittedly fantastic) results.  There's every chance they'll be out of Europe in the quarters and finish double figures behind the leaders again.  It seems to me that Liverpool have been almost exactly the same as every year under him, except for a couple of away games at Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford, is that enough to think he'll be able to finally win them the league?

a fit Torres all season and they'd be top in my opinion.

Fantastic news for Man Utd.

Really? He's not in the same class as Fergie, but he's the best manager Liverpool have had in my lifetime, and they're still going forwards rather than back imo. Good news for Liverpool.

Guest quklaani

They've hardly 'given him a new contract' on the back of those results, considering they've been in negotiations for months.

They were umming and ahhing over it for months and not two weeks ago he was making comments about how unsure he was of his future, and then suddenly he batters Madrid and Man Utd and it's settled within days.  You don't think maybe the two might be related?

They've hardly 'given him a new contract' on the back of those results, considering they've been in negotiations for months.

They were umming and ahhing over it for months and not two weeks ago he was making comments about how unsure he was of his future, and then suddenly he batters Madrid and Man Utd and it's settled within days.  You don't think maybe the two might be related?

He probably just used the results to twist their arm. Look what I can do etc. I don't think it's unreasonable.

You made out like they weren't bothered until he won two games, I don't believe that to be the case.

Those two wins will have made him unsackable for the fans. They would have been pissed off as it was if he'd left, after those two this will be some excellent PR for gillette and hickey.

I am sure its been mentioned on here that its a suggestion that Liverpool are in financial trouble. Are we to assume that Rafa has signed this contract whilst being told "mind, there is going to be no big money for transfers" ?

To think when Liverpool and ourselves were rivals. They sacked the man that was failing them and replaced him with Rafa while we put off the decision to retire the man who had clearly shown that his time was over and ended up with Souness. What a pivotal moment that was in both our clubs history. Liverpool took the right action that lead to being crowned European Champions while we begun our plunge towards the championship.

Absloutly right it is called decison it seems all easy but it is a major factor in everything meaningful. They Fired Hollier in may and replace him with Bentize in June. Taking their time on the process. We fire Robson in September and hire Souness. the rest was history. I wish Ashley be sensable this coming summer and replace him by taking his time for about a month seeing every possible candidate the pros and cons.

Guest quklaani

I honestly believe if he'd lost those last two games (the Madrid one obviously being the dominant factor) he'd have been gone by the summer.  They've been pushed into a corner by him now being "the best manager in the world ever" with scouse fans again.  Maybe it'll work out for them, but barring spectacular collapses by both of the clubs ahead of them he's bottled the league again, this time from a winning position at Christmas.

The one thing I will say for him staying is that if Sir Alex goes soon (combined with Chelsea being a fading force) the league might again be winnable with a low 80s points total, which his side are clearly capable of.  That and he's at least arrested their relative decline since 2006, so he seems a much better bet than he did this time last year.  People seem to forget that his post big cup winning team were very good, Liverpool's best (pointswise) in the Premier league years.  He then spent loads that summer on not especially impressive players (Pennant, Bellamy, Paletta, Kuyt, Aurelio) and they've not won anything since.  With this in mind the first half of next season should be absolutely make or break for him, but now he's secure.  Maybe that will give him the ability to really improve the side, but then if he makes another absolute hash of it in the summer and they start terribly they can't possibly sack him.  As I said, big gamble.

Guest Scouseman

I honestly believe if he'd lost those last two games (the Madrid one obviously being the dominant factor) he'd have been gone by the summer.  They've been pushed into a corner by him now being "the best manager in the world ever" with scouse fans again.  Maybe it'll work out for them, but barring spectacular collapses by both of the clubs ahead of them he's bottled the league again, this time from a .

He'd already rejected his new contract 5 times before last weeks results and also said  it would be sorted within the next fortnight, which it has been.  Hicks has been away for a month for his sons wedding which took place at the week-end.

I am sure its been mentioned on here that its a suggestion that Liverpool are in financial trouble. Are we to assume that Rafa has signed this contract whilst being told "mind, there is going to be no big money for transfers" ?

I would've thought the opposite - i.e. he's only signed the contract on the promise of adequate transfer funds.

Wouldn't be suprised if he makes a few big signings from the Valencia end-of-season sales.