Owen Last Night

Crumpy Gunt

Guest toonlass

I would say the players that truly care about this club are Shay, Steve Harper, Steven Taylor (but less of the fist pumping, chest beating shit eh sonna?), Beye, Shola and that Jonas likes us a lot.

Was a disgrace last night to be honest. The chance after Duff's flick was easy, n I'm pretty sure most other players on the pitch would have scored it. Hope he never plays for England again and someone who cares is given the captaincy.

Which of our players really cares about the club? :S

Jonas, Taylor, Martins and Shay

Jonas? says who? he's been here 5 minutes! I'd say Beye and Shola

You can tell man.  He's a legend.

Was a disgrace last night to be honest. The chance after Duff's flick was easy, n I'm pretty sure most other players on the pitch would have scored it. Hope he never plays for England again and someone who cares is given the captaincy.

Doesn't make any difference if Jonas has been here 5 months or 5 mins, he runs his heart out most games, if everyone else did the same there would be few complaints.

Doesn't make any difference if Jonas has been here 5 months or 5 mins, he runs his heart out most games, if everyone else did the same there would be few complaints.

He runs a lot agreed. He produces very little of note.

He runs a lot agreed. He produces very little of note.

He produces space for others by beating players if nothing else.

Owen offers absolutely nothing as captain neither vocally or in terms of leading by example.  The decision to make him captain was clearly made to try and convince him to stay.

O rly? But but but but but Keegan was a genius!!!

In all seriousness though, I think it was a decent decision at the time, to mend bridges, and also boost Owen's ego as he was asked to play in a deeper role. In any case, Keegan should have recognized that our best captain by far would be Habib Beye, and given him the armband at the start of this season.

I'm aware of his goals/games ratio, I'm aware he's a good guy and I'm aware he's not at fault for his injuries, BUT I won't regret it the slightest when Owen finally leaves in the summer.. He's a luxury that we can't afford and his time here will remain in history as a failure, both for him and the club.. I'm not confident we can replace him with a better goalscorer, but to hell with it

I'm aware of his goals/games ratio, I'm aware he's a good guy and I'm aware he's not at fault for his injuries, BUT I won't regret it the slightest when Owen finally leaves in the summer.. He's a luxury that we can't afford and his time here will remain in history as a failure, both for him and the club.. I'm not confident we can replace him with a better goalscorer, but to hell with it

:thup:

Guest guinness_fiend

Pulled out of at least three 50 / 50 challenges that I counted.

Obviously one eye on the future.

http://www.the-reel-mccoy.com/movies/2000/images/unbreakable3.jpg

Almost agree with the sentiment, but I think his performances he kept us up last season, and we should at least give thanks for that.

I was thinking about something, and I am not going to name any names. If a certain someone was to have a 'gentleman's agreement' with a certain permier league club to join at the end of the season, and then his said current club and the latter mentioned club were in a relegation dog fight where it was one or the other going down, would the said player not have a conflict of interests? No-one in particualr mind, just was wondering what people thought on this purely hypothetical situation with purely fictional characters.

I can only assume that people saying we should get rid of Owen believe he actually takes away something from the overall strength of our team, and the other players would actually be doing better without him?

Because if you don't believe that I can't see any reason for the negative attitude towards him, the goals he has got for us have been more than adequate.

I can only assume that people saying we should get rid of Owen believe he actually takes away something from the overall strength of our team, and the other players would actually be doing better without him?

Because if you don't believe that I can't see any reason for the negative attitude towards him, the goals he has got for us have been more than adequate.

Playing with Owen (on current form and in his current position) is rather like playing with 10 men, tbf. Can't we just stick him back in the "hole" behind the striker like Keegan did? At least he does well there.

A 1 in 2 striker is a luxury we can't afford, but an attacking midfielder who hasn't scored in over 50 games is an indispensable hero.

:idiot2:

Owen is a luxury we desperately need more like. Even if we stay up, I dread to think what we'll be like next season when Shola is our attacking spearhead.

I don't think anyone has said that we should "get rid" of Owen. He is going whether we like it or not, some might want to shed tears about it, others like me will see him off with a V sign. In the meantime though I will support him and hope he continues to score goals.

I don't think anyone has said that we should "get rid" of Owen. He is going whether we like it or not, some might want to shed tears about it, others like me will see him off with a V sign. In the meantime though I will support him and hope he continues to score goals.

Fair enough, I just think people directing their anger about our current situation towards Owen are 'wide of the mark'.

A 1 in 2 striker is a luxury we can't afford, but an attacking midfielder who hasn't scored in over 50 games is an indispensable hero.

:idiot2:

Owen is a luxury we desperately need more like. Even if we stay up, I dread to think what we'll be like next season when Shola is our attacking spearhead.

yeah, I dread it too..

so you're optimistic that Owen will remain at the club?

its also possible he's been told to dodge any 50-50's by kinnear to avoid injury.

Grab as many as you can...

http://www.kodak.com/US/images/en/corp/1000words/jennyc/joelStraws.jpg

:lol:

Think about it ... come the end of the season Owen will not have a contract with anyone right?

So what is the worst possible thing that could happen to Owen right now? A serious injury because then no one would give him the kind of contract he wants.

If anything he is looking out for himself. I think it's scary that we have to rely so heavily on him in the run up to the end of the season. Would much rather we sold him now and got someone else in.

Absolutely scary only having the 5th top scorer in the league to rely on eh. Look what happened to Bolton when they lost Anelka's goals in January. They very nearly went down.

Guest The Libertine

And it's not like we can rely on Martins given how injury prone he is these days. ;)

yeah, but martins is miles better than owen....