Attitudes on the Football Board

oldtype

This is something I've  been meaning to write for some time now. I realize that I'm not the most eloquent of posters on here, but I just ask that you take a moment to consider what I'm saying as opposed to immediately reaching for the mackems.gif smiley.

Posting on these forums has always been something of a jarring experience for me culturally, as I'm used to being active on boards on which posters maintain a facade of decorum, and try not to be hostile/insulting to each other, even when they disagree. Now in some ways, I find it very refreshing that on this forum, when I think somebody's being a fucking stupid cunt, I actually get to call them a fucking stupid cunt. Football's a passionate topic, and this forum would be all the poorer if we were forced to all wear fake smiles on our faces and pat each other on the back while discussing it.

That said, I think things have gone too far, particularly since the Keegan affair. With the club's declining fortunes putting everyone in a bad mood, I fear we've simply become a pack of confrontational dickheads. There are many posters on these boards who, when exposed to something they disagree with, simply  :lol:, bluelaugh.gif, or mackems.gif and seek to ridicule the OP instead of responding in any substantive manner. We've all been guilty of this at one time or another in recent months, myself included.

I think the fact that this sort of problem is much more prevalent on the Football Board as opposed to General Chat makes it obvious that it's mostly the events at the club that are having a negative effect on our temperaments, rather than any sort of inherent problem.

Yes, things have been really shit for the past few months. Yes, we're all in a terrible mood. Yes, sometimes people will just say something about Ashley/Keegan/Wise/Kinnear/Owen/Shepherd/N'Zogbia/Xisco/the Tea Lady that's so idiotic that you just want to reach into the monitor and smack them.

But the more this forum drifts away from good natured disagreement and discourse towards a classless shouting match with the same people fighting about the same things and using the same insults, the poorer we all become.

I think it would benefit all of us if we just took a nice, deep breath and tried to clean things up a bit. We're all people with strong opinions, so if nothing else, let's try to respect that about each other. I'm all for some friendly piss-talking, but we need to acknowledge when it's getting out of hand.

:nile:

mackems.gif

Fucking beaten to it. :lol:

I agree with what you're saying oldtype, some people need to learn that just because our club is going to hell doesn't mean we should take it out on eachother. We're all in the same boat.

Problem is that there are too many posters on here who think their opinion is gospel and are horrified that someone might not agree with them or might think the complete opposite. That is why there is many people being condescending, sarcastic and up their own arse to other posters all of the time.

Problem is that there are too many posters on here who think their opinion is gospel and are horrified that someone might not agree with them or might think the complete opposite. That is why there is many people being condescending, sarcastic and up their own arse to other posters all of the time.

What about when you're me and your opinion is gospel though?

There are some utter cunts on here like, but there's plenty in everyday life too.

I think it's more apparent on here because you're constantly dealing with people you wouldn't give a second breath to in real life where it's easy enough to just walk away/not talk to them.

On here we're basically forced to read other people's tripe and see all of the ups/downs in their moods and attitudes and often we just remember the worst of it.

Some people are fucking awful the majority of the time though and there really isn't any need for it, when, like others have already said: "we're all in the same boat".

Roll-on the ignore function come the new board, that's what I say. :thup:

Only about 3 people (I assume) actually read the LOST thread though, so you seem to slip under the radar somewhat.

Only about 3 people (I assume) actually read the LOST thread though, so you seem to slip under the radar somewhat.

True, but that's only because the rest of the threads on the forum aren't worthy, considering I didn't start them.

There are some utter c***s on here like, but there's plenty in everyday life too.

I think it's more apparent on here because you're constantly dealing with people you wouldn't give a second breath to in real life where it's easy enough to just walk away/not talk to them.

On here we're basically forced to read other people's tripe and see all of the ups/downs in their moods and attitudes and often we just remember the worst of it.

Some people are f***ing awful the majority of the time though and there really isn't any need for it, when, like others have already said: "we're all in the same boat".

Roll-on the ignore function come the new board, that's what I say. :thup:

Are we getting one of those?  :dance:

Old type, is swearing and name calling a problem?

Swearing, no. I love the swearing.

Name calling becomes a problem when people get used to just calling somebody a mong or whatnot instead of actually responding to their arguments.

Indeed an ignore option is coming, oldtype. One of the major drawbacks of the forum in it's current state is that it's impossible for us to implement such a function.

On version 2.0 of Simple Machines it comes built-in, along with a lot of other nifty stuff that we can't get on here!

However, it still shows an ignored poster has contributed but simply says "you are currently ignoring this user, click here to read the post". So while it doesn't eliminate people completely it makes it much easier to avoid reading stuff from people you don't want to read.

I do agree that people could make more effort on here to be civil and sensible (and less dogmatic), but it's probably not going to happen, so little functions like that could help to make a difference at least to an individual's enjoyment of the place.

It's awful at the minute, hence why I'm barely posting.

I don't mind the disagreements. The only thing that really gets me is how disagreeing with someone's point instantly transforms you (in their eyes) into an blind apologist for Souness, or Roeder, or Allardyce or whomever.

There is certainly more than enough blame to go around and few unmitigated successes in recent club history.  I don't think anyone on here is so stubborn or oblivious as to claim otherwise.