The Kevin Keegan thread

The Prophet

I'm certain that further discovery (if produced) in an open court may answer many of our questions today.

Of course. But tbh it doesn't even matter that much. Even in the worse of reasonable scenarios the end of it all is that he fucked off knowingly leaving us in the shit after pledging his supposed love for the club and how he wouldn't have come back for any other club and all that.

The truth about what happened would be great to know but I feel that in the trial of Keegan's character it isn't that relevant. The intricacies would only help to judge his level of cuntitude.

Take your £8 million and never show your face again please.

35 games left at the time.

Keegan if he had any fucking character, would have waited until the end of the season to quit. Quitting when he did fucked us over big time, and if we go down it's largely down to him.

35 league games left when he quit.

Guest Brummiemag

I'm certain that further discovery (if produced) in an open court may answer many of our questions today.

Of course. But tbh it doesn't even matter that much. Even in the worse of reasonable scenarios the end of it all is that he fucked off knowingly leaving us in the shit after pledging his supposed love for the club and how he wouldn't have come back for any other club and all that.

The truth about what happened would be great to know but I feel that in the trial of Keegan's character it isn't that relevant. The intricacies would only help to judge his level of cuntitude.

Take your £8 million and never show your face again please.

Keegan would be welcome to show his face at St James Park at any time as far I'm concerned. You must be too young or have short memory. What Keegan did here in the 90's was fantastic, we will never see the like of it again. 

People should remember what he has done for the club as a manager and a player before they start disrespecting him and calling him a wanker etc.  Amazing really   

What a lot of people forget is that the Keegan problem didn't first arise at the beginning of this season. It came up after the Chelsea game, at the end of the previous one. That is when Keegan first went public with his discontent with the system, and tried to change things. When that didn't happen, that was the time for him to quit, with his integrity intact.

Instead, he carried on, and then quit at a point when he felt he could claim a large amount of compensation, for having a player (supposedly) imposed on him. Not only was the timing bad, but he then encouraged public sympathy, with all the problems that came in its wake.

Ashley has made mistakes, but Keegan's behaviour should be questioned far more.

What a lot of people forget is that the Keegan problem didn't first arise at the beginning of this season. It came up after the Chelsea game, at the end of the previous one. That is when Keegan first went public with his discontent with the system, and tried to change things. When that didn't happen, that was the time for him to quit, with his integrity intact.

Instead, he carried on, and then quit at a point when he felt he could claim a large amount of compensation, for having a player (supposedly) imposed on him. Not only was the timing bad, but he then encouraged public sympathy, with all the problems that came in its wake.

That's quite a large assumption.

I just find it staggering. I don't know where to begin, so I won't.

How do we know that Keegan didnt threaten to quit at the meeting he was hauled to down in London but Ashley made promises for the transfer window that he didnt come through with ? :dontknow:

EDIT : And that public slapped wrist was dreadful PR when they could have just had a meeting at the club away from the gaze of the London media

Guest Phil K

Keegan if he had any f***ing character, would have waited until the end of the season to quit. Quitting when he did f***ed us over big time, and if we go down it's largely down to him.

Rubbish,  when he quit, we'd only played 3 league games,  3 games that had us 4 pts, one point more than most people would've expected,  we've played 34 games since then......thats plenty time to get things sorted.

true enough....but his timing to leave was planned imo to cause the maximum damage.

EXACTLY.

He must have known what damage his tantrum throwing would have done.

KK shares the blame for the mess we are in.

But MOST (80%) of the blame lies with Ashley and the people he brought in, and the mess THEY made.

Guest Phil K

It was a ridiculous move to bring him back in the first place really.

Agree - and I said so at the time too.

But I too hoped I'd be wrong.

Keegan if he had any f***ing character, would have waited until the end of the season to quit. Quitting when he did f***ed us over big time, and if we go down it's largely down to him.

Rubbish,  when he quit, we'd only played 3 league games,  3 games that had us 4 pts, one point more than most people would've expected,  we've played 34 games since then......thats plenty time to get things sorted.

true enough....but his timing to leave was planned imo to cause the maximum damage.

nah, mad, he was strung along with the promise of players right up to the end of that window.

Guest Phil K

It was a ridiculous move to bring him back in the first place really.

Agree - and I said so at the time too.

Points for you then.

Quite right too ! ;)

And I was far from the only one a bit troubled with KK's appointment, and thinking it may well be a backward step

That said, all our managerial appointments since Sir Bob I wasn't happy with - so maybe I'm just hard to please !

Guest Stephen927

The fact of the matter is, Keegan left but the club had 36 games to find an adequate replacement. Ashley appointed Joe Kinnear.

It was ridiculous to bring him back btw due to the structure Ashley wanted in place. But as you could see on the pitch we were turning it round. So on a footballing side there certainly wasn't a problem with it.

Guest Phil K

The fact of the matter is, Keegan left but the club had 36 games to find an adequate replacement. Ashley appointed Joe Kinnear.

We just can't get away from that fact can we ?

ALL our fans were horrified at the idiocy of the choice of a man who couldn't get a job from teams in the BOTTOM two divisions, never mind top.

Same applies to Hughton and Calderwood.

Absolute insanity.

It was ridiculous to bring him back btw due to the structure Ashley wanted in place. But as you could see on the pitch we were turning it round. So on a footballing side there certainly wasn't a problem with it.

We can't deny that with KK at the helm, things weren't too bad, certainly.

And the monumental stupidity in IMPOSING signings from director level on him was going to be disastrous.

Coupled with getting rid of players who had done it, for players we didn't know, wasn't too intelligent.

Exactly. Even at Christmas time when he removed the club from the open market he could have went thanks Joe and went out and appointed somebody to take us through to the end of the season.

ALL our fans were horrified at the idiocy of the choice of a man who couldn't get a job from teams in the BOTTOM two divisions, never mind top.

Absolute insanity.

And the monumental stupidity in IMPOSING signings from director level on him was going to be disastrous.

Coupled with getting rid of players who had done it, for players we didn't know, wasn't too intelligent.

One of the things Keegan was best at was convincing players to come to this club, telling them how loved they would be, how great a place this is to play at. Then to supposedly take that away and not let him be in charge of negotiations was madness.

Guest BooBoo

Absolute insanity.

One of the things Keegan was best at was convincing players to come to this club, telling them how loved they would be, how great a place this is to play at. Then to supposedly take that away and not let him be in charge of negotiations was madness.

Thats very true. The Rob Lee signing obviously comes to mind. Its unreal that someone thought Dennis Wise would sell the club to players better than Keegan.

Guest Brummiemag

I just find it staggering. I don't know where to begin, so I won't.

Whats also staggering is that some people seem to put Ashley on a par with Keegan in terms of trust and behaviour.  To say that Keegans behaviour should be questioned more than Ashleys is unbelievable.

The bottom line is that if fatso had chosen Keegan over Wise we wouldnt be in this mess now.

Unless he agreed to work within the system then changed his mind of course.