The Kevin Keegan thread

The Prophet

I'm still struggling to comprehend how our detestable owner mistreating an employee to the extent that they're potentially entitled to a multi-million pound payout could be anything other than a further indictment of how that fat t*** has run the club, regardless of who the employee is.

because if keegan had been the DoF and wise the manager people would still be backing keegan.

lets have some evidence on what the mistreatment was.

That's not really my point though. If Ashley has to payout because he f***ed up, then it's his fault imo. The fact it's KK is an interesting one, some people will defend him regardless but the interesting aspect is that there are now seemingly a number of people who strongly dislike him. Almost unthinkable before he came back.

i agree. however there are too many who see keegan as a bottler who has walked out on every managerial post he has had pitted against ashley who is the devil incarnate.

i trust neither enough to go on rumour and hearsay.

I personally think labelling Keegan a 'bottler' because he's walked out on jobs is an unfair reflection on him given the true circumstances. He didn't 'bottle' the Fulham job, he got given a better one and it eventually became obvious he couldn't do both. The England job I guess you could class as bottling; he admitted he wasn't good enough and walked before he was pushed. I wish McLaren had had the integrity for that and saved the FA £2.5m paid for failure. As for the City job, I'm pretty sure he was told he wasn't getting his contract renewed and left by mutual consent, rather than "running away".

It's the first time he's taken a stance like this, so I'm certainly not going to write it off as 'Keegan running away again' as so many seem to be desperate to.

i've even backed keegan on this numerous times but it's how many see it. in much the same way people believe that keegan could do no wrong. he does seem to have played power games at every club he has been at though, threatening to leave if he doesn't et the budget he wants etc and worse at fulham.

I wouldn't ever argue he's perfect, far from it. Just seems an unfair and lazy stick to beat him with. The situation has been oversimplified from both sides imo, although I tend to side with KK given the track records of those involved. Like you I want to know what actually happened.

but surely it must also be unfair and lazy to make out he hasn't played power games both here and elsewhere to get his way in the past.

the middle ground looking at both their histories is that yes the club bought players without his say but he had agreed to this set up and thought he could change it once in. (i'm not saying that IS what happened btw)

I'm still struggling to comprehend how our detestable owner mistreating an employee to the extent that they're potentially entitled to a multi-million pound payout could be anything other than a further indictment of how that fat t*** has run the club, regardless of who the employee is.

because if keegan had been the DoF and wise the manager people would still be backing keegan.

That's not really my point though. If Ashley has to payout because he f***ed up, then it's his fault imo. The fact it's KK is an interesting one, some people will defend him regardless but the interesting aspect is that there are now seemingly a number of people who strongly dislike him. Almost unthinkable before he came back.

i agree. however there are too many who see keegan as a bottler who has walked out on every managerial post he has had pitted against ashley who is the devil incarnate.

I personally think labelling Keegan a 'bottler' because he's walked out on jobs is an unfair reflection on him given the true circumstances. He didn't 'bottle' the Fulham job, he got given a better one and it eventually became obvious he couldn't do both. The England job I guess you could class as bottling; he admitted he wasn't good enough and walked before he was pushed. I wish McLaren had had the integrity for that and saved the FA £2.5m paid for failure. As for the City job, I'm pretty sure he was told he wasn't getting his contract renewed and left by mutual consent, rather than "running away".

It's the first time he's taken a stance like this, so I'm certainly not going to write it off as 'Keegan running away again' as so many seem to be desperate to.

i've even backed keegan on this numerous times but it's how many see it. in much the same way people believe that keegan could do no wrong. he does seem to have played power games at every club he has been at though, threatening to leave if he doesn't et the budget he wants etc and worse at fulham.

I wouldn't ever argue he's perfect, far from it. Just seems an unfair and lazy stick to beat him with. The situation has been oversimplified from both sides imo, although I tend to side with KK given the track records of those involved. Like you I want to know what actually happened.

but surely it must also be unfair and lazy to make out he hasn't played power games both here and elsewhere to get his way in the past.

the middle ground looking at both their histories is that yes the club bought players without his say but he had agreed to this set up and thought he could change it once in. (i'm not saying that IS what happened btw)

First part; probably, yeah. Don't think anyone's doing that though? All I'm trying to say is that he isn't the 'serial bottler' he's painted as being.

I would say the most likely scenario is that the circumstances somehow changed during his tenure to the extent that he felt unable to work. How much these circumstances actually changed and whether it justified his viewpoint is the key question that needs answering.

First part; probably, yeah. Don't think anyone's doing that though? All I'm trying to say is that he isn't the 'serial bottler' he's painted as being.

I would say the most likely scenario is that the circumstances somehow changed during his tenure to the extent that he felt unable to work. How much these circumstances actually changed and whether it justified his viewpoint is the key question that needs answering.

either way. i hope we get to find out.

either way. i hope we get to find out.

No chance, sadly. Would be amazed if we actually find out anything we don't know already.

Guest michaelfoster

£2m-£3m wages per year is between £40-60k p/w and i highly doubt he is on anywhere near that considering Ashley is not exactly flush with cash due to the credit crunch.

Sky News must think it is settled today as there are vans and equipment camped outside my office (not too far from the arbitration)

Would that be the kind of thing Keegan himself should attend?

If he's there you should kick his head in.

Sky News must think it is settled today as there are vans and equipment camped outside my office (not too far from the arbitration)

If he's there you should kick kiss his head in.

Edited for fairness.

If he's there you should kick kiss his head in.

Edited for fairness.

Ever willing to please, I will do both.

If he's there you should kick his head in, then kiss it better.

Edited for fairness.

Re-edited.

:lol:

With their name being dragged through the mud all over the press that'll be why West Ham did so poorly last season and couldn't get taken over then.

I must have missed the bit where West Ham fans collectively spat out the dummy and started a boycoutt over their infallible god-like hero Curbishley.

With their name being dragged through the mud all over the press that'll be why West Ham did so poorly last season and couldn't get taken over then.

I must have missed the bit where West Ham fans collectively spat out the dummy and started a boycoutt over their infallible god-like hero Curbishley.

You really hate Keegan don't you?  :lol:

No, he really hates Newcastle supporters, as going by that it's US to blame for the difference between what happened at NUFC & what happened at WHUFC.

BTW how has this supposed "boycoutt" affected the club Ozzie? The boycoutt which saw us have the highest ever attendance for a team relegated in the UK & the 6th highest average attendance in England this season.

Edit: If you're so opposed to boycotts Ozzie, why exactly were you trying to encourage people to protest and stay away from games 3 years ago (when we'd just finished 7th and were playing in Europe) to try and help a takeover take place?

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,31195.msg582620.html#msg582620

No, he really hates Newcastle supporters, as going by that it's US to blame for the difference between what happened at NUFC & what happened at WHUFC.

The irony is he wanted everyone who called themselves a Newcastle fan to protest Freddy Shepherd

No.

BTW how has this supposed "boycoutt" affected the club Ozzie? The boycoutt which saw us have the highest ever attendance for a team relegated in the UK & the 6th highest average attendance in England this season.

The turmoil definitely affected our chances of getting a decent interim replacement after KK legged it. It may also have affected the sale, but who can really say whether any buyers were put off by the prospect of a fractious, difficult-to-satisfy fan base? I'm sure it makes us look a less attractive prospect, though. How could it make us more likely to find a buyer?

The turmoil definitely affected our chances of getting a decent interim replacement after KK legged it. It may also have affected the sale, but who can really say whether any buyers were put off by the prospect of a fractious, difficult-to-satisfy fan base? I'm sure it makes us look a less attractive prospect, though. How could it make us more likely to find a buyer?

But it would have made us look a more attractive prospect when Shepherd was here?

Make your mind up.

No, the fact Ashley was only offering a 1 month contract affected the managerial appointment. On the second point, see my edited post above.

The aftermath of the KK situation clearly affected what you've described above, but not to the extent that we were being run and owned by an incompetant did. The fact a retard was running the club meant it was extremely unlikely we were going to get a decent interim manager in (became an issue again when JFK got ill). He's also done a pretty poor job thus far of getting the club sold again, despite having ages to do it and claiming to be very keen to get out.