Peter Beardsley

Guest michaelfoster

Def a Newcastle United Legend ; so many amazing goals apart from his other great qualities and hard work.

Incredible to think that Mark Hateley kept him out of the England side in Mexico 86 until desperation forced Robson to play him alongside Lineker against the Poles..

Too many great goals to list but 2 stand out for me - his outrageous sliding tackle to win possession from a BRIGHTON defender in our final game of the promotion season of 83/84 and then he stood up and cheekily chipped Joe Corrigan from the edge of the box to out a great seal on a 3-1 win..always remember KK running back to the Centre circle, shaking his head in amazement..!!

No 2 was a terrific run from almost the halfway line near the East Stand, beating 3 defenders and leaving the really quick Des Walker stranded for pace to score against Brian Clough's Forest at SJP in December 86...I knew after that he wouldn't be staying at SJP much longer, and he was sold to Liverpool the following August.

He had an amazing second spell at the club too, when many thought he was almost past it - a really excellent player.

FYP.

I may be mistaken, but i think the defender he slid to take the ball off, was Mike Gatting ( cricketer), brother.

Used to stand directly over the wall at the top of the players tunnel in them days.

I think he went to Liverpool, cos Willie Mcfaul,or more likely Stan Seymour, wouldnt match the money , Liverpool were paying players at the time.

Yes, you are right about it being a Brighton defender - what confused me a bit was that Corrigan was in goal, and he played for City for years...

Beardsley was sold to Liverpool because the Board wanted the money to pay towards the Milburn Stand.

Got to say, I'm REALLY impressed by Peter Beardsley. Although I've seen little of him, because I'm quite young and did start supporting Newcastle until Shearer signed, he's got to be one of the best players we've had !!

On a side note, I want the old kit back  :smitten:

Def a Newcastle United Legend ; so many amazing goals apart from his other great qualities and hard work.

Incredible to think that Mark Hateley kept him out of the England side in Mexico 86 until desperation forced Robson to play him alongside Lineker against the Poles..

Too many great goals to list but 2 stand out for me - his outrageous sliding tackle to win possession from a BRIGHTON defender in our final game of the promotion season of 83/84 and then he stood up and cheekily chipped Joe Corrigan from the edge of the box to out a great seal on a 3-1 win..always remember KK running back to the Centre circle, shaking his head in amazement..!!

No 2 was a terrific run from almost the halfway line near the East Stand, beating 3 defenders and leaving the really quick Des Walker stranded for pace to score against Brian Clough's Forest at SJP in December 86...I knew after that he wouldn't be staying at SJP much longer, and he was sold to Liverpool the following August.

He had an amazing second spell at the club too, when many thought he was almost past it - a really excellent player.

FYP.

I may be mistaken, but i think the defender he slid to take the ball off, was Mike Gatting ( cricketer), brother.

Used to stand directly over the wall at the top of the players tunnel in them days.

I think he went to Liverpool, cos Willie Mcfaul,or more likely Stan Seymour, wouldnt match the money , Liverpool were paying players at the time.

Twas against Brighton and Eric Young was the player Pedro robbed.

in 30 years time, people at St James's (myself included) will still be saying "what we really need is a player like Beardsley"

absolute magic

I say we need a player like him now tbh but getting a player a fraction of his talent will be very difficult unless we find a gem somewhere .

Got to say, I'm REALLY impressed by Peter Beardsley. Although I've seen little of him, because I'm quite young and did start supporting Newcastle until Shearer signed, he's got to be one of the best players we've had !!

If you get a chance to see his goals and general play you will probably say fuck me "we had a player like that playing for us" ,then you look at Shola and say fuck me is that the level we are at now  :rant: :nope: :'(

If you get a chance to see his goals and general play you will probably say f*** me "we had a player like that playing for us" ,then you look at Shola and say f*** me is that the level we are at now  :rant: :nope: :'(

...and you want to ask yourself where did it all go so wrong!  :weep:

FYP.

I think gatting was actually the defender poleaxed in the build up,.. can anyone confirm if he was Mike gattings brother, or am i just dreaming this shit up ?

FYP.

I think gatting was actually the defender poleaxed in the build up,.. can anyone confirm if he was Mike gattings brother, or am i just dreaming this shit up ?

No dream. Steve Gatting was Mike Gatting's brother.

Guest Stephen927

Just typed his name into a popular video sharing website and Jonny2J has a quality tribute video of him, well worth watching.

If you get a chance to see his goals and general play you will probably say fuck me "we had a player like that playing for us" ,then you look at Shola and say fuck me is that the level we are at now  :rant: :nope: :'(

He certainly wouldn't be at the club for very long though.

His goal down at Pompey (live on ITV in the days when there were hardly any live games) in the promotion season was sensational. Any player to have the poise to do what he did from 2 yards out is worthy of the tag legend. I remember shouting "hit it" at the tv and he simply dummies, takes out a big cigar as the defender slides on by & then casually puts the ball in. Magic.

PS look at youtube Peter the Great