Peter Beardsley

Guest michaelfoster

Guest firetotheworks

Listing Premiership sides only.......apart from England of course.   :lol:

I heard Gary Lineker asked, who was the best player he played with,..he said, thats easy,.. Peter Beardsley, by miles,.

I wonder if Cole would say the same, or if he'd say Yorke.

Beardsley has said that Lineker was brilliant, but that Cole knew exactly where to be and how many touches Pedro would take to link up with him.

Guest firetotheworks

Remember that time against Wimbledon at home (I think) when he almost scored a spectacular goal but thought 'fuck it, I'll hit the bar and then score an even more spectacular overhead kick'

Guest timmy boy

I heard Gary Lineker asked, who was the best player he played with,..he said, thats easy,.. Peter Beardsley, by miles,.

Beardsley has said that Lineker was brilliant, but that Cole knew exactly where to be and how many touches Pedro would take to link up with him.

When Cole was asked who his favourite partner to play with was by SSN after he retired he said he couldn't distinguish between  Bearsdley and Yorke.

When Cole was asked who his favourite partner to play with was by SSN after he retired he said he couldn't distinguish between  Bearsdley and Yorke.

Beardsley on the Pitch,

York in the bedroom,

Beardsley today in his prime would be worth £30m at least. He was one of the most skilful players I've ever seen full-stop and without doubt the best footballer I've seen playing for Newcastle United. Genuinley two-footed, amazing dribbling skills, unreal imagination and cheek, worked his socks of, very unselfish yet very productive himself, amazing stamina levels despite lacking natural athleticism (down to his sheer enthiusiasm for the game) and someone who could play anywhere in midfield or up front without looking out of place. A really nice man as well. To think our area produce such a talent...

So true I wish he involves in some capacity in the club.

Guest firetotheworks

Just been watching highlights of him. When he did that shuffle it seriously looks like he doesn't know what he's doing, but he obviously does. I remember trying to do it for ages, but its really hard to try and look like you're fumbling about with the ball, without actually fumbling it and losing control.

Def a Newcastle United Legend ; so many amazing goals apart from his other great qualities and hard work.

Incredible to think that Mark Hateley kept him out of the England side in Mexico 86 until desperation forced Robson to play him alongside Lineker against the Poles..

Too many great goals to list but 2 stand out for me - his outrageous sliding tackle to win possession from a Man C defender in our final game of the promotion season of 83/84 and then he stood up and cheekily chipped Joe Corrigan from the edge of the box to out a great seal on a 3-1 win..always remember KK running back to the Centre circle, shaking his head in amazement..!!

No 2 was a terrific run from almost the halfway line near the East Stand, beating 3 defenders and leaving the really quick Des Walker stranded for pace to score against Brian Clough's Forest at SJP in December 86...I knew after that he wouldn't be staying at SJP much longer, and he was sold to Liverpool the following August.

He had an amazing second spell at the club too, when many thought he was almost past it - a really excellent player.

Def a Newcastle United Legend ; so many amazing goals apart from his other great qualities and hard work.

Incredible to think that Mark Hateley kept him out of the England side in Mexico 86 until desperation forced Robson to play him alongside Lineker against the Poles..

Too many great goals to list but 2 stand out for me - his outrageous sliding tackle to win possession from a BRIGHTON defender in our final game of the promotion season of 83/84 and then he stood up and cheekily chipped Joe Corrigan from the edge of the box to out a great seal on a 3-1 win..always remember KK running back to the Centre circle, shaking his head in amazement..!!

No 2 was a terrific run from almost the halfway line near the East Stand, beating 3 defenders and leaving the really quick Des Walker stranded for pace to score against Brian Clough's Forest at SJP in December 86...I knew after that he wouldn't be staying at SJP much longer, and he was sold to Liverpool the following August.

He had an amazing second spell at the club too, when many thought he was almost past it - a really excellent player.

FYP.

I may be mistaken, but i think the defender he slid to take the ball off, was Mike Gatting ( cricketer), brother.

Used to stand directly over the wall at the top of the players tunnel in them days.

I think he went to Liverpool, cos Willie Mcfaul,or more likely Stan Seymour, wouldnt match the money , Liverpool were paying players at the time.

correct me if i'm wrong cos i was just a young 'un at the time but i'm sure beardsley left us in the first place for the same sort of reasons as shay has just done, sick of mediocrity and lack of investment in the team, wanting the team to do well and challenge but nowt being done about it.

mind that said liverpool at the time were a great side