Newcastle United Finances - 2008 Accounts Recently Filed

quayside

And if he still hasn't taken it, I think it says a lot about Mike Ashley.  People are saying he doesn't care about the club and he was just in it for the money.  But if he isn't taking the interest he clearly is making an effort to help the club.  His failing is that he has made terrible decisions about who to trust, IMO.

Again, it's all down to s*** communication from inside of the cub.

yeah, that too.

I'm going to apologise now if this has been mentioned before, but does the fact that the accounts are only up to June 2008 make any difference. I'm just thinking with all those people myself included paying for a 3 year season ticket, would this not add even more to the income for 6 months to december 2008 and thus possibly put us into profit without Ashley's 20 million for this season?

That income will be spread over the three years.

According to quayside (I think).

I'm going to apologise now if this has been mentioned before, but does the fact that the accounts are only up to June 2008 make any difference. I'm just thinking with all those people myself included paying for a 3 year season ticket, would this not add even more to the income for 6 months to december 2008 and thus possibly put us into profit without Ashley's 20 million for this season?

yes but tremember if you do that you also have to take into account that lack of revenus for the next two years. ashley will face this as will anyone who wants tio buy and would be reflected in any sale price.

Ashley's £100 million unsecured loan is repayable at LIBOR + 0.5% which he hasn't taken as of 30th June 2008.

And if he still hasn't taken it, I think it says a lot about Mike Ashley.  People are saying he doesn't care about the club and he was just in it for the money.  But if he isn't taking the interest he clearly is making an effort to help the club

It is his f***ing club man.

Yeah, and he could be taking the interest right now and no one would give it a second thought.  I tell you what, after people slagged him off after the Keegan fiasco I could understand him taking the interest if I were him.  I say again, if he were in it just for the money like a lot of people have said, he would have taken the interest.  Business is business unless you look at the club differently.

Yes he could of taken the interest from his club & paid himself but he didn't, well played.

The accountants amongst us may be able to tell me if i'm wrong here but do companies still have 10 months to file their accounts at Companies House? Seems an ideal time for these to get in the public domain, just during the transfer window where we're going to spend fuck all again and Ashley can come out after the window (if Kinnear isn't lying out his arse) and give us the whole saved the club spiel?

Also, as it's not a public company now these accounts will hardly be scrutinised and from experience things in the accounts can be tweaked, within reason, so they show whatever you want them to show.

Maybe it's just me be being a conspiracy theorist as I think the bloke is a complete cuntbag of the highest order.

Fucking hell. :lol:

They've been audited!

Are you suggesting he's fiddled them to make them worse to appease the fans, which will in turn reduce what a buyer is willing to pay him?

The accountants amongst us may be able to tell me if i'm wrong here but do companies still have 10 months to file their accounts at Companies House? Seems an ideal time for these to get in the public domain, just during the transfer window where we're going to spend fuck all again and Ashley can come out after the window (if Kinnear isn't lying out his arse) and give us the whole saved the club spiel?

Also, as it's not a public company now these accounts will hardly be scrutinised and from experience things in the accounts can be tweaked, within reason, so they show whatever you want them to show.

Maybe it's just me be being a conspiracy theorist as I think the bloke is a complete cuntbag of the highest order.

They've been audited!

But, but, but, I heard Ernest & Young were Tottenham fans, so they'll be in on his plan to use a third of his total wealth just to take the piss out of us Newcastle fans!!

All i care about is that the squad is improved year on year - and it is.

Do you not want to improve at better rate than your rivals?

Id love that to be the case, but as the account sheet shows its not an overly realisitc requirement at this point of time. Unless you suggest we go for a Shepherd style gamble.

Supposing we keep the core of this squad together, minus Given and Owen then big improvemtns arent far away, my main concern now is the manager who can bring it toghether. Thats my main concern.

Id be far more concerned if there didnt appear to be any  plan and we were signing any old codger, but as far as i can see the scouting appears to be top notch and we've not compromised on quality for the price. Something im willing to credit them for.

Certainly wouldn't appease the fans but it seems to have already made some realise why we aren't spending any money. If he then comes out in Feb and says look at the accounts we haven't got a pot to piss in then he's kind of coming out of it as some sort of saviour, which I don't think he is at all.

Is it me or did he miss that trick long ago. I cant speak for everyone else but if he had come in, then as soon as he saw the state of the clubs finances, opened up to the fans, explained the shitehole we were dug into, and told us to prepare for some tough years ahead, I would have understood and he might also have actually pulled everyone together instead of letting it all spiral out of control.

I appreciate there is probably a huge amount of naivity in therein that a huge business doesnt just tell the listening world that they are in trouble

Is it me or did he miss that trick long ago. I cant speak for everyone else but if he had come in, then as soon as he saw the state of the clubs finances, opened up to the fans, explained the shitehole we were dug into, and told us to prepare for some tough years ahead, he might have actually pulled everyone together instead of letting it all spiral out of control.

I appreciate there is probably a huge amount of naivity in therein that a huge  business doesnt just tell the listening world that they are in trouble

Finances have changed globally since Ashley arrived.

Certainly wouldn't appease the fans but it seems to have already made some realise why we aren't spending any money. If he then comes out in Feb and says look at the accounts we haven't got a pot to piss in then he's kind of coming out of it as some sort of saviour, which I don't think he is at all.

Is it me or did he miss that trick long ago. I cant speak for everyone else but if he had come in, then as soon as he saw the state of the clubs finances, opened up to the fans, explained the shitehole we were dug into, and told us to prepare for some tough years ahead, he might have actually pulled everyone together instead of letting it all spiral out of control.

I appreciate there is probably a huge amount of naivity in therein that a huge  business doesnt just tell the listening world that they are in trouble

Completely agree, and I've said that for ages. I'm sure there would have been plenty who would have whinged regardless, but plenty more would have understood IMO. Most knew we had a high wage bill and were suffering from the Souness era etc.

Instead there was a billionaire who came in, appointed a 'chequebook manager', made a £20m (or whatever) bid for Modric and gave a number of quotes where he made out he was willing to spend and back his managers as necessary.

As clear as mud.

Is it me or did he miss that trick long ago. I cant speak for everyone else but if he had come in, then as soon as he saw the state of the clubs finances, opened up to the fans, explained the shitehole we were dug into, and told us to prepare for some tough years ahead, I would have understood and he might also have actually pulled everyone together instead of letting it all spiral out of control.

He kinda did, to be fair. No-one believed him.

They've been audited!

But, but, but, I heard Ernest & Young were Tottenham fans, so they'll be in on his plan to use a third of his total wealth just to take the piss out of us Newcastle fans!!

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bdZa4naCf3xv/340x.jpg

Ernst & Young's managing partners yesterday

They've been audited!

"Rodney, by this time next year we'll be millionaires!!"

"But Dell, we're billionaires!!"

"I know that Rodders, but we'll have had a bloody good larf at the Geordies' expense."

By the way, are you sure it's not "Ernest & Young"? ;)

Doh!! :doh:

I appreciate there is probably a huge amount of naivity in therein that a huge business doesnt just tell the listening world that they are in trouble

He kinda did, to be fair. No-one believed him.

Yep. The "about to fold like a house of cards" quote from Mort was ridiculed no end.

We were told on numerous occasions how bad things were.

They've been audited!

Sure it's not "Ernest & Young"?

Mange tout!! :doh:

FYP :thup:

Is it really improved at all? Our defensive record is worse. Midfield is weaker, as Butt and Geremi are getting older and Guthrie isn't nearly as good as Emre. Attack is weaker as there's nothing to take advantage of whatever Jonas gives the team, and he rarely produces assists and never scores himself. The first choice defenders are better, but an injury to just one of them is disastrous as there's no backup.

Just to be clear about the 20m, 17.5m of it is just accounting, its not real money that ashley has to transfer out of the sportsdirect coffers into northern rock, its just a reduction in the value of the playing staff. The real loss is 2.5m as far as i can tell. If you think about the amount of money that will be freed up when one of those asset values falls to zero, the financial picture is not that bleak. 

Is it really improved at all? Our defensive record is worse. Midfield is weaker, as Butt and Geremi are getting older and Guthrie isn't nearly as good as Emre. Attack is weaker as there's nothing to take advantage of whatever Jonas gives the team, and he rarely produces assists and never scores himself. The first choice defenders are better, but an injury to just one of them is disastrous as there's no backup.

Yes it has, we might not be playing better but the personnel definitely has improved.

Thats why i maintain that all we need is a good manager to pull it together.

Just to be clear about the 20m, 17.5m of it is just accounting, its not real money that ashley has to transfer out of the sportsdirect coffers into northern rock, its just a reduction in the value of the playing staff. The real loss is 2.5m as far as i can tell. If you think about the amount of money that will be freed up when one of those asset values falls to zero, the financial picture is not that bleak. 

Well, ignoring profit and loss accounts, if you look at the cash he'd committed at the end of June, which is the real deal:

He has stuck £70 million in to clear old debt plus an additional £30 million working capital. To some extent you can ignore the clearing of the debt as it transfers from one creditor to another. But if you bear in mind that the clubs overall cash position at the 30th June was broadly speaking neutral - where would we be without that £30m working capital million injection? And you can add in a further £10 million that he has put in since......

That's what I was getting at earlier, just didn't phrase it that well. :)

So if the 'real' loss is £2.5m, are people justified in claiming Ashley should have spent more on the first team?

So if the 'real' loss is £2.5m, are people justified in claiming Ashley should have spent more on the first team?

Only if someone else is prepared to put their money where their mouth is. Can you think of anyone?

Guest neesy111

ashley has sunk 40 million over the 12 months to get the loss to 2.5 million, it would have been 42.5 million without the 30 million and the further 10 million sunk in

now I understand why there is the sell before we buy policy