Ryan Taylor

Dave

Guest BooBoo

He's done well this year, never really let us down. Vastly improved on previous seasons.

Of course don't let that stop the doom mongerers that would have him down as the spawn of Satan.

Guest Brynn

Think you're picking the wrong fight there, Brynn. I'm sure Wullie is right behind you re your posts/thoughts on Ben Arfa.

Apologies if it seems like Im picking a fight, was just drawing a paralell. I just happen to disagree that Ryan Taylor represents a great option from the bench.

Hernandez and Berbatov is a great option off the bench. Lennon and Defoe are great options off the bench. Bellamy - similar.

Ryan Taylor? To me, he offers one thing while likely being weaker in several other areas compared to the lad coming off.

Something different, maybe. Great, not so sure.

Think you're picking the wrong fight there, Brynn. I'm sure Wullie is right behind you re your posts/thoughts on Ben Arfa.

:thup:

I thought he played an important role from full back in the second half against the mackems, as the only player in a wide position who was willing/able to deliver a half decent ball into the box. When we're attacking like that, I'd much rather see him at full back than Simpson - I'd have had him there vs Wolves for example, when the initiative was on us to attack... at least that's the way it should have been.

Guest Brynn

Yeah, having a right midfielder with as a good a foot as Ryan Taylor while being vastly superior in just about every other area would be horrible, like.

Reading the reactions to this news it seems to me some people are completely oblivious to the fact you need a squad, not just a first team. I'm confident we won't break the bank by extending him, and he's proven himself to be a dependable member of the squad for us, so I will go on record as being perfectly happy with this bit of unexpected news.

Brynn, I'm not sure what the hell you expect. He's still starting matches, of course he's going to get a new contract.

Hopefully he'll be phased out as we bring better players in, but in the meantime we still need him. You don't go around releasing your players because you can "do better".

Guest Brynn

Reading the reactions to this news it seems to me some people are completely oblivious to the fact you need a squad, not just a first team. I'm confident we won't break the bank by extending him, and he's proven himself to be a dependable member of the squad for us, so I will go on record as being perfectly happy with this bit of unexpected news.

I have no problem with him being a squad player.

I do have a problem with us extending his contract and at the same time pairing it with a statement of him being a fantastic fotballer and a key player starting week in and week out.

Thats where the wheels come off for me, especially when you know who must sit on the bench for him to start.

I do have a problem with us extending his contract and at the same time pairing it with a statement of him being a fantastic fotballer and a key player starting week in and week out.

Thats where the wheels come off for me, especially when you know who must sit on the bench for him to start.

I fail to see what Hatem Ben Arfa's lack of pitch time has to do directly with whether you should be happy a dependable squad player has had his contract extended. By all means, be unhappy that HBA isn't starting more often (I know I am), not that Raylor has been offered a well deserved contract extension.

When announcing he's signed a new contract, you want the manager to say he's fringe at best, and should be sat on the bench most of the time?

think this aint a bad deal. he's a limited player even as a defender, but sadly he is the best Left back we got.

People can carry on creaming over Santon, yes we know he's a foreigner and is automatically deemed as more exotic and skillful, great at pushing forward and such etc..

but when it comes to purely defending, Santon has been found wanting, and that's being generous to the lad. 

Guest Brynn

When announcing he's signed a new contract, you want the manager to say he's fringe at best, and should be sat on the bench most of the time?

No, I would have no problems with such a statement if that was his standing in the squad.

The problem is, the statement isnt just a motivational statement and sugarcoating of his position. It mimics Pardews opinion of him,genuinely being seen as a key player and fantastic fotballer by pardew and started every week if fit over options that would seem blatantly better by everyone on here save a few.

The contract is a reflection on how Pardew plans to build a side in which Ryan Taylor is a key player.

I dont particularily fancy such a prospect.

Yeah, having a right midfielder with as a good a foot as Ryan Taylor while being vastly superior in just about every other area would be horrible, like.

£60k a week to sit on the bench? No thanks.

Guest Brynn

£60k a week to sit on the bench? No thanks.

I am no fan of Joey Barton but if he was still here I would start him on the right every week over Ryan Taylor.

No, I would have no problems with such a statement if that was his standing in the squad.

The problem is, the statement isnt just a motivational statement and sugarcoating of his position. It mimics Pardews opinion of him,genuinely being seen as a key player and fantastic fotballer by pardew and started every week if fit over options that would seem blatantly better by everyone on here save a few.

The contract is a reflection on how Pardew plans to build a side in which Ryan Taylor is a key player.

Think you're getting paranoid mate.  Doubt he's on high wages, and I think he's a useful player to have in the squad.

Give over.