Ryan Taylor

Dave

I don't think he's been on here before. Don't remember ever reading this much nonsense on here.

He's spoke a lot of sense in this thread.

Have you brought him along from one of the other hundreds of forums you visit?

No.

But he made a top post about Ben Arfa a few pages ago that was anything but nonsense. Jus saying like.

I don't think he's been on here before. Don't remember ever reading this much nonsense on here.

It's not nonsense. But there are plenty of people who can't look past he's a very limited player, because he has apparently "put in a shift" and "given 100%" in all the games he's played this season. On top of that he's seen as a nice guy who would sit on the bench and like it if the manager ACTUALLY played the better player. I'm not so sure. At fullback he's a train wreck (not his fault he's had to play there of course).

No.

But he made a top post about Ben Arfa a few pages ago that was anything but nonsense. Jus saying like.

I agree with his views on Ben Arfa. I fail to see how they are particularly relevant in the context of discussing the merits of giving Ryan Taylor an extension to his contract. He's also managed to somehow get Muntari involved, called Shane Long a promising youngster and wondered why we cannot compete for the likes of Wickham at 8 million a pop for completely unproven "potential", all in some strange rage to discredit a dependable squad player who has had a more than average contribution to this year's results so far getting an extended contract. The lad is clueless plain and simple.

Guest BooBoo

I wonder how far away from the first team SBR would have kept him. There isnt a barge pole long enough.....

I appreciate the fact that they are putting in a shift, but that is by no means an argument to keep them!

Stop handing out new contracts to mediocre players.  Simpson, Williamson, Raylor and Obertan should be kept far away from a starting elleven. Their faces on the bench is still aggravating but still to some degree somewhat digestable.

I guess the longer we play them, the more people will try to justifiy them starting. Shame really.

The same Bobby Robson who signed Wayne Quinn?

No.

I agree with his views on Ben Arfa. I fail to see how they are particularly relevant in the context of discussing the merits of giving Ryan Taylor an extension to his contract. He's also managed to somehow get Muntari involved, called Shane Long a promising youngster and wondered why we cannot compete for the likes of Wickham at 8 million a pop for completely unproven "potential", all in some strange rage to discredit a dependable squad player who has had a more than average contribution to this year's results so far getting an extended contract. The lad is clueless plain and simple.

Fair enough.

I still think he's spot on about both Ben Arfa and Ryan Taylor though. Ryan Taylor couldn't get a regular game for Wigan and then couldn't in our Championship winning side either. I think it's a bit worrying that we're trying to secure players like him long term, especially when the manager is describing him as an 'idol' and one of our 'best players'.

Guest Brynn

No.

Ben arfa is relevant because they play the same position and Taylor is keeping him out of the starting elleven, as stated by Pardew naming him a key player.

Muntari/CL medal was a response to you somehow managing to credit Ryan taylor for getting us to third, Shane long/wickham was just examples of young players from lower divisions who we appearently cant compete for,  all in some strange rage because someone who should ideally MAYBE be making the bench is starting every week in the very position that is the only ticket into the squad for our biggest talent in 15 years. Its a bit unjust on Ryan really, because he is a decent lad and... a very average fotballer - and its not his fault he is being picked every week.

But I still dont see why we need to extend his contract. He is massively average and wouldnt get a toe-in it any top-10 side realistically.

Happy?

It's not nonsense. But there are plenty of people who can't look past he's a very limited player, because he has apparently "put in a shift" and "given 100%" in all the games he's played this season. On top of that he's seen as a nice guy who would sit on the bench and like it if the manager ACTUALLY played the better player. I'm not so sure. At fullback he's a train wreck (not his fault he's had to play there of course).

He does more than just put in a shift, doesn't he? Perch puts in a shift, Ryan Taylor also creates and scores goals, can cover the full back positions (where we don't currently have much cover) and deputise across the midfield. He's no world beater, but the simple fact is, he is the kind of player you need in a squad, in the same way that Aaron Hughes used to be for us. He's not on massive wages, doesn't cost a transfer fee to keep on a bit longer, is apparently a good player to have in the dressing room, doesn't complain when he's kept out of the first team. I really don't see the problem here..

There is a huge problem right this moment, mainly him starting consistently ahead of a highly superior player, being called "a fantastic player" by the manager himself.

Yeah Pardew is going to say "well he isn't great, we know he is very limited but he is a decent squad player :dontknow:"

It's becoming a fucking massive pet hate when people read a manager bigging up a player in the press and don't see it for what it is.

"OMG Pardew didn't call his own player shit in the press conference WTF!!!!"

Ryan Taylor's contract extension has absolutely no bearing on our ambition tbh.

He'll be on relatively low wages and can do an acceptable job when called upon. I doubt very much he'll be getting much game-time next season. Move on.

Guest Brynn

There is a huge problem right this moment, mainly him starting consistently ahead of a highly superior player, being called "a fantastic player" by the manager himself.

Yeah Pardew is going to say "well he isn't great, we know he is very limited but he is a decent squad player :dontknow:"

Not far off what he has been saying about Ben arfa  :lol:

Guest Brynn

He'll be on relatively low wages and can do an acceptable job when called upon. I doubt very much he'll be getting much game-time next season. Move on.

The problem is he is being called upon every week for 90 minutes with some people on here congratulating him every time he doesnt get thrown on his ass by Shaun Wright Phillips. :huff:

He does more than just put in a shift, doesn't he? Perch puts in a shift, Ryan Taylor also creates and scores goals, can cover the full back positions (where we don't currently have much cover) and deputise across the midfield. He's no world beater, but the simple fact is, he is the kind of player you need in a squad, in the same way that Aaron Hughes used to be for us. He's not on massive wages, doesn't cost a transfer fee to keep on a bit longer, is apparently a good player to have in the dressing room, doesn't complain when he's kept out of the first team. I really don't see the problem here..

The problem is, as said many times before, he's keeping Ben Arfa out of the side. This is obviously the managers fault, so it doesn't matter how limited he is as long as Pardew rates him as highly as he does. I have no problem with Raylor being a squad player, and even getting a contract extension. My worry is he's apparently a "key player" and not a squad player.

There is a massive difference there.

He hasn't called Ben Arfa shit and like previous managers he knows there is a lot more potential in the player if he can get it out of him.

What is he going to say about Raylor? Do you genuinely believe he can produce more than he currently does? Raylor is playing to the best of his ability, we all know this. What good would it do to challenge him to produce what he isn't capable of?

We've transitioned out Nolan and Barton from the Championship winning side. People like Lovenkrands, Guthrie, Harper and Simpson are likely to follow. I just don't understand the necessity of handing him an extended contract, we should be phasing players like him out and replacing them.

I'd like to think we're trying to compete with Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool over the next few years. None of those sides would ever field a player like Ryan Taylor. You say he covers the fullback positions and in midfield but for me I don't think he does any of those positions to an acceptable level and certainly not if we want to progress our level and style of football over the next couple of years.

He's played nearly every game this season and is currently seen as first choice right winger ahead of Ben Arfa. The manager has called him an 'icon' and a 'key player' fairly frequently.

Maybe it's just ego massaging for a squad player, but I'd say it's just as likely that he'll play a lot next season.

Guest Brynn

There is a massive difference there.

He hasn't called Ben Arfa s*** and like previous managers he knows there is a lot more potential in the player if he can get it out of him.

What is he going to say about Raylor? Do you genuinely believe he can produce more than he currently does? Raylor is playing to the best of his ability, we all know this. What good would it do to challenge him to produce what he isn't capable of?

The problem isnt Pardew calling him a fantastic fotballer and a key player.

The problem is that he is actually serious about it,  and starts him every week at the expense of ben arfa - who could do with a piece of soap what Raylor does with a fotball. People arent critizising Ryan Taylor, they are critizising the fact that he is a starter.

Guest BooBoo

You really think we'll be competing with those clubs? We might be competing with them at this moment in the league, but their set ups are still massively ahead of us.

Clubs in the same bracket as us are the likes of Villa, Everton, Sundeland and all of them have squad players of a like calibre to Raylor.

I am thinking now that I wish some of these posters here had crossed my path in the Alan Pardew thread instead and could have received an education. Alas I just can't be arsed now =)

'I play Football Manager, I know what I'm talking about' is where it's at here apparently  :pow:

You really think we'll be competing with those clubs? We might be competing with them st this moment in e, but their set ups are still massively ahead of us.

Clubs in the same bracket as us are the likes of Villa, Everton, Sundeland and all of them have squad players of a like calibre to Raylor.

Why settle for that level? We've proven we can replace and improve on infinitely better players than Taylor seemlessly and on the cheap.

Maybe some of the motivation for this is continuity in the personalities in and around the squad. That would make more sense, because as a footballer I can think of few players in the entire league that are easier to upgrade on.