Ryan Taylor

Dave

Done well this season but need to find a spot and stick with it for his own sake, personally quite happy for him to be the utility man, every squad needs one. His best season so far but loads of room for improvement, his personality off the field means he's easily liked as well. It's good to have people like that at the club, but they've got to earn their wages on the pitch and he does that to the best of his abilities, also shown he'll throw his body on the line for us. Deal deserved IMO, but even with all that, think he shouldn't be playing as many games as he is, we need more competition.

Guest Brynn

You really think we'll be competing with those clubs? We might be competing with them st this moment in e, but their set ups are still massively ahead of us.

Clubs in the same bracket as us are the likes of Villa, Everton, Sundeland and all of them have squad players of a like calibre to Raylor.

Why settle for that level? We've proven we can replace and improve on infinitely better players than Taylor seemlessly and on the cheap.

We should just fax Athletico bilbao a check for 2 million pounds with a question attached " Which one of your players can we get for this" and the outcome would likely see us very well off.

You really think we'll be competing with those clubs? We might be competing with them st this moment in e, but their set ups are still massively ahead of us.

Clubs in the same bracket as us are the likes of Villa, Everton, Sundeland and all of them have squad players of a like calibre to Raylor.

Why settle for that level? We've proven we can replace and improve on infinitely better players than Taylor seemlessly and on the cheap.

We should just fax Athletico bilbao a check for 2 million pounds with a question attached " Which one of your players can we get for this" and the outcome would likely see us very well off.

That's definitely how it works!

Done well this season but need to find a spot and stick with it for his own sake, personally quite happy for him to be the utility man, every squad needs one. His best season so far but loads of room for improvement, his personality off the field means he's easily liked as well. It's good to have people like that at the club, but they've got to earn their wages on the pitch and he does that to the best of his abilities, also shown he'll throw his body on the line for us. Deal deserved IMO, but even with all that, think he shouldn't be playing as many games as he is, we need more competition.

Last point is a key one. We seem to improve on our squad only when there are departures.

I'm firmly in the camp that I'd like to see Danny Simpson go because I reckon his replacement - whoever he is - is aslmost certainly going to be better than him. For me it's the same with Taylor, if he stays it's another squad position filled with a less than mediocre player.

I don't think he's been on here before. Don't remember ever reading this much nonsense on here.

He's spoke a lot of sense in this thread.

Have you brought him along from one of the other hundreds of forums you visit?

No.

But he made a top post about Ben Arfa a few pages ago that was anything but nonsense. Jus saying like.

I agree with his views on Ben Arfa. I fail to see how they are particularly relevant in the context of discussing the merits of giving Ryan Taylor an extension to his contract. He's also managed to somehow get Muntari involved, called Shane Long a promising youngster and wondered why we cannot compete for the likes of Wickham at 8 million a pop for completely unproven "potential", all in some strange rage to discredit a dependable squad player who has had a more than average contribution to this year's results so far getting an extended contract. The lad is clueless plain and simple.

Ben arfa is relevant because they play the same position and Taylor is keeping him out of the starting elleven, as stated by Pardew naming him a key player.

Muntari/CL medal was a response to you somehow managing to credit Ryan taylor for getting us to third, Shane long/wickham was just examples of young players from lower divisions who we appearently cant compete for,  all in some strange rage because someone who should ideally MAYBE be making the bench is starting every week in the very position that is the only ticket into the squad for our biggest talent in 15 years. Its a bit unjust on Ryan really, because he is a decent lad and... a very average fotballer - and its not his fault he is being picked every week.

But I still dont see why we need to extend his contract. He is massively average and wouldnt get a toe-in it any top-10 side realistically.

Happy?

No, not happy. I love Ben Arfa as much as the next guy, and Pardew will have a lot of explaining to do if he doesn't fulfill his huge promise with us, but I don't see them as playing the same position at all. Ben Arfa is an attacking player, a number 10, who should be just behind the striker(s). Taylor is a utility player who should be on the bench when everybody's fit to play, but can do a decent job when needed in the full back and midfield positions. The fact that Pardew has gone back on his earlier appraisal that he saw Ben Arfa as a second striker and definitely not as a winger shows you that he doesn't know how to get the team performing better with Ben Arfa than without Ben Arfa, it's as simple as that.. Now when a match isn't going our way, and the fans get grumpy, he brings on Ben Arfa on the right wing, like he used to do with Sameobi earlier in the season. I don't think this is his best position to be fair, but he's miles better than anything else we've currently got there. All of which is fine, but doesn't have anything to do with Ryan Taylor. It seems some people have started to hate him for being preferred by Pardew a lot above two of the more popular players amongst the fans, first Santon at left back and now Ben Arfa at right back. I blame Pardew for what I see as cowardice in his team selection, but I really don't understand why that should make me hate the player who's coming in in their place and actually doing a pretty good job at contributing positively to the team to the best of his ability.

Ryan Taylor's contract extension has absolutely no bearing on our ambition tbh.

He'll be on relatively low wages and can do an acceptable job when called upon. I doubt very much he'll be getting much game-time next season. Move on.

The problem is he is being called upon every week for 90 minutes with some people on here congratulating him every time he doesnt get thrown on his ass by Shaun Wright Phillips. :huff:

Another thing you've just pulled straight out of your arse.. Well done.

Deary me.. :facepalm:

Guest Brynn

Look, I dont hate Ryan Taylor. If thats your impression Ive come off wrong. I rage because he is starting, but thats not his fault. And you are right, they are completely different players, but they are still somehow competing for the very same position - even if it means vastly different roles if either of them starts.

Our first XI is basically set apart from the right wing where Obertan and Raylor have been swapping shifts throughout the season until recently.

By the grace of god Pardew seems to have come to terms with the fact that his one personal purchase this summer was a complete dudd, but he still seems intent on having defensive wingers covering our fullbacks.

You think Ryan Taylor has been good this season, I simply dont - I dont rate him at all and cry a little inside every time I see him on the sheet.

My personal belief is that those who do rate him do so because they have set their expectation level to zero and take it from there.

Me? I expect a winger doing wing stuff and offering something going forward. Failing that, at least have some defensive qualities. Ryan Taylor has none of these things.

He does have a decent crossing foot, but that for me isnt enough to rip off the "rather s***" label. Sorry.

Additionally,  you defend him from a "squad player" point of view. Wake up, he isnt. He is a regular starter and one of the first names on the sheet.

Massive problem for me.

Look, I dont hate Ryan Taylor. If thats your impression Ive come off wrong. I rage because he is starting, but thats not his fault. And you are right, they are completely different players, but they are still somehow competing for the very same position - even if it means vastly different roles if either of them starts.

Our first XI is basically set apart from the right wing where Obertan and Raylor have been swapping shifts throughout the season until recently.

By the grace of god Pardew seems to have come to terms with the fact that his one personal purchase this summer was a complete dudd, but he still seems intent on having defensive wingers covering our fullbacks.

You think Ryan Taylor has been good this season, I simply dont - I dont rate him at all and cry a little inside every time I see him on the sheet.

My personal belief is that those who do rate him do so because they have set their expectation level to zero and take it from there.

Me? I expect a winger doing wing stuff and offering something going forward. Failing that, at least have some defensive qualities. Ryan Taylor has none of these things.

He does have a decent crossing foot, but that for me isnt enough to rip off the "rather s***" label. Sorry.

I don't think you will find many people who would have him in their "ideal XI", even with our current squad. He's the type of player I don't mind seeing as one of our 7 subs, and I suspect that goes for a large number of our fans.. As for your expectation level comment, I think you've got me completely wrong: you'll be hard pressed to find many posters who have been more critical about our level of ambition in recent years. That doesn't mean I don't understand the concept of having a squad, rather than just a first team...

Guest Brynn

I dont mind having a squad with clearly inferior players warming the bench, because genuinely good players wont be content with such a prospect.

Even Lovenkrants is whining at the moment  :lol:

Having a versatile player on the bench with a bit of a beckham foot is a lovely thing, however I do feel that Ryan Taylor just lacks too much in other areas to make him a good squad player. And at the moment he is our main winger!

There has to be some sort of  threshhold in terms of basic fotballing ability beneath what you can offer individually, and for me, Ryan Taylor falls just short of that line. That threshhold is also why I hold simpson in higher regard than Taylor even though he has no "weapon" at all..

A bit ambivalent in all honesty. If he's squad/backup and happy to be that then fair enough, if he's seen as a key player going forward then it's a very worrying blindspot with Pardew.

Spot on for me.  I know we've had limited options at full back this season.  But the fact he keeps starting games as a right winger and is even being used as a centre midfielder is worrying.

I keep thinking it's just AP talking up his players when he calls Raylor one of our better players, key player, iconic  ??? etc.  But it is becoming apparent that he considers him as first choice.

After the summer window, I'd like to think that's no the case.  In fact, at present with everyone fit, he should be competition for Simpson and nothing more.

It's funny how everyone who says he's a good squad player follows it up by saying they don't want him playing. How is he a good squad member if he shouldn't get anywhere near the pitch?

How shouldn't he get anywhere near the pitch? He's in the same bracket as the likes of Williamson, Guthrie and Best for me, not first choice players, but good to have as cover when players like Steven Taylor, Cabaye, Ba and Cisse are out due to injury, suspension, fatigue or representing their national team. Players who are fairly dependable even if not spectacular. Unless you believe we will be able to assemble a squad of 20 players of first team, top 6 quality players and keep them all happy we will need players like them.

It's funny how everyone who says he's a good squad player follows it up by saying they don't want him playing. How is he a good squad member if he shouldn't get anywhere near the pitch?

How shouldn't he get anywhere near the pitch? He's in the same bracket as the likes of Williamson, Guthrie and Best for me, not first choice players, but good to have as cover when players like Steven Taylor, Cabaye, Ba and Cisse are out due to injury, suspension, fatigue or representing their national team. Players who are fairly dependable even if not spectacular. Unless you believe we will be able to assemble a squad of 20 players of first team, top 6 quality players and keep them all happy we will need players like them.

I think Guthrie's a good comparison, because for me he's the type of back up player I would want at the club. He's not the best athlete, but because he's technically a good player you could slot him into midfield for a few games and it wouldn't affect the team's fluency football-wise. Ryan Taylor being a far more limited player on the ball should really only be considered a right back, and we have loads of other wank options for that role.

I think Guthrie's a good comparison, because for me he's the type of back up player I would want at the club. He's not the best athlete, but because he's technically a good player you could slot him into midfield for a few games and it wouldn't affect the team's fluency football-wise. Ryan Taylor being a far more limited player on the ball should really only be considered a right back, and we have loads of other w*** options for that role.

Yet they have very similar stats in terms of goals created and scored in their time with us, and that is with Taylor having played in defense more often than not. Also, I don't think Ryan Taylor is as bad on the ball as you suggest. He clearly has a good shot on him, I don't think his crossing is any worse than anybody else in our squad (arguably better than most) and I haven't noticed him giving away possession significantly more than anybody else too. He's made some mistakes which have cost us goals, and looked vulnerable at times (in a position that is not natural to him let's not forget), but show me a player who hasn't? I think the fact he is not the fastest or most exciting player is clouding people's judgement. If Santon had done what he has done this season people wouldn't half complain so much..

I think Guthrie's a good comparison, because for me he's the type of back up player I would want at the club. He's not the best athlete, but because he's technically a good player you could slot him into midfield for a few games and it wouldn't affect the team's fluency football-wise. Ryan Taylor being a far more limited player on the ball should really only be considered a right back, and we have loads of other w*** options for that role.

Yet they have very similar stats in terms of goals created and scored in their time with us, and that is with Taylor having played in defense more often than not. Also, I don't think Ryan Taylor is as bad on the ball as you suggest. He clearly has a good shot on him, I don't think his crossing is any worse than anybody else in our squad (arguably better than most) and I haven't noticed him giving away possession significantly more than anybody else too. He's made some mistakes which have cost us goals, and looked vulnerable at times (in a position that is not natural to him let's not forget), but show me a player who hasn't? I think the fact he is not the fastest or most exciting player is clouding people's judgement. If Santon had done what he has done this season people wouldn't half complain so much..

All those attributes you have highlighted are a good reason why I think prozone stats can be misleading. Good shooting or crossing don't mean much if you only do it from dead ball situations. Similarly it's easy not to give the ball away if you just pass it backwards or sideways. Why doesn't he bring the ball out of defence and look for one twos with other players? It's because he's not comfortable on the ball. He's one of those who treats it like a hot potato because of that, and it's difficult to see how you can build a passing team with players like that being central.

You don't have to take my word for it, just wait and see which teams come in and show an interest in signing him. It won't be any of the top 6 that's for sure, and I'm sure they have all the same stats available to them as we have.

All those attributes you have highlighted are a good reason why I think prozone stats can be misleading. Good shooting or crossing don't mean much if you only do it from dead ball situations. Similarly it's easy not to give the ball away if you just pass it backwards or sideways. Why doesn't he bring the ball out of defence and look for one twos with other players? It's because he's not comfortable on the ball. He's one of those who treats it like a hot potato because of that, and it's difficult to see how you can build a passing team with players like that being central.

You don't have to take my word for it, just wait and see which teams come in and show an interest in signing him. It won't be any of the top 6 that's for sure, and I'm sure they have all the same stats available to them as we have.

He's scored a few where the ball was moving, Everton at home this year and Chelsea away in the cup last year come to mind, both of which required outstanding shooting technique, so the argument that he can only shoot a dead ball is rubbish. He's also put in quite few good assists from open play this year (just checked on a Premiership stat site and they've got it down as 7 just in the Prem this year + 1 from a dead ball situation) from the wing (a prime example being Bolton away for Ben Arfa if my memory serves me well). Also, I don't see how you can argue Ryan Taylor hasn't played it out of defense this year; there's been plenty of matches where he has play left back and overlapped Jonas to a decent extend (more so than Simpson on the right for sure).

The fact that no top 6 club will come in for him is completely irrelevant. He's a squad player and nobody has ever argued he would improve a top 6 squad. With their financial means they can afford to aim higher. Us though, with him already on the books, we could have let him go for free at the end of next season, but would have needed to invest at least one or two million to replace him as a squad player. You seem to think he's a Championship player, but I think there would be quite a few Premiership clubs who would have been happy to snap him up on a free had he not renewed.

He's scored a few where the ball was moving, Everton at home this year and Chelsea away in the cup last year come to mind, both of which required outstanding shooting technique, so the argument that he can only shoot a dead ball is rubbish. He's also put in quite few good assists from open play this year (just checked on a Premiership stat site and they've got it down as 7 just in the Prem this year + 1 from a dead ball situation) from the wing (a prime example being Bolton away for Ben Arfa if my memory serves me well). Also, I don't see how you can argue Ryan Taylor hasn't played it out of defense this year; there's been plenty of matches where he has play left back and overlapped Jonas to a decent extend (more so than Simpson on the right for sure).

The fact that no top 6 club will come in for him is completely irrelevant. He's a squad player and nobody has ever argued he would improve a top 6 squad. With their financial means they can afford to aim higher. Us though, with him already on the books, we could have let him go for free at the end of next season, but would have needed to invest at least one or two million to replace him as a squad player. You seem to think he's a Championship player, but I think there would be quite a few Premiership clubs who would have been happy to snap him up on a free had he not renewed.

You can argue anything from a stats point of view and paint a picture to suit the purpose accordingly. From my point of view I usually look at players as to how they'll fit a playing style, so a passing team would want a full back who loves to carry the ball in the Leighton Baines mode, for a hoofball team a no nonsense defender who whacked it down the line no messing would be perfect. The problem for me with Taylor is he isn't either. He's not a good defender like Enrique obviously was, and he's far poorer at carrying the ball forward as well. So what difference does it make if he hits the odd nice shot or cross? If that was such a big deal on the pitch as it is on the computer stats screen, don't you think Liverpool would have pitched in with a £5m bid for him instead of Enrique?

Aye. English clubs have an awful history in Europe. And it's completely relevant to Ryan Taylor's contract.

Well, anyway when the dough was here. but look now. Most of the teams are not play especially good and teams all over the world seems to close the gap or run away. and teams like Stoke is not helping.

Does this make any sense to anyone else?